Blizzard Entertainment Planning a Linux Game For 2013

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Always be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. Those of you who have waited patiently for the major gaming concerns to finally provide games like WoW or Starcraft for Linux may just get your wish. Blizzard will make an announcement of the release of one of its signature games sometime in 2013.

I have been told at least one of their very popular titles will see a release for Ubuntu Linux this calendar year. With their first Linux port they will use it to judge the waters of Linux gaming themselves to decide their future course.

Heard they both taste fine with wine but I suppose dry is always better.

Yeah SC2 only put out episode one 2.5 years ago, no need to rush the next two parts that uses the same exact game engine as the ones before. WTF they think they're as cool as Valve?

Microsoft needs to see their grip on PC gaming slip from under them.

Yeah SC2 only put out episode one 2.5 years ago, no need to rush the next two parts that uses the same exact game engine as the ones before. WTF they think they're as cool as Valve?

The guys that make the engine most likely aren't the same ones that create game content..

I'm guessing that Open-GL isn't to hard to do these days :) . Why wouldn't you do something like this, Blizzard can afford it easily.

I like Linux a lot more then Windows if most games ran decent to good on my systems there would be no need for anything else but Opensuse.

The only thing I miss is notepad ;)

Microsoft needs to see their grip on PC gaming slip from under them.

See it, they are the ones who started it. They shut down all their PC gaming studios, or converted them to Xbox only studios. MS wants to convert Windows gamers to Xbox gamers.

The guys that make the engine most likely aren't the same ones that create game content..

Point being, it's not like they need to create a game from scratch. Make some maps, make a few more units, most intensive stuff is the dialog/cut scenes but of course they don't give a shit about single player much any more as a company, and want the all might "game balance" so they can keep their multiplayer fans happy

like what Blizzard is saying , just want to see and judge the linux waters first :D , from what is currently trending, it seems Ubuntu is getting hold as the mainstream linux distro, if only linux was'nt a fragmentation of distros it could have won a big foot hold of everything years before :D

Its fancy PR at best and blatant lying at worst.

I call that they will announce Diablo or WoW as the game being converted for play onto Linux but then they will delay it and eventually it'll be so far behind in terms of patching and updates that hardly anyone who's an avid Linux user will use the Native Linux version over a VM or Windows version.

Valve aint got nothing on Blizz.

Sure Valve capitalized on the success of Counter Strike by forcing Steam onto people who were playing the most popular FPS on earth at the time. But other than HL ( which is average at best), what have Valve bought to PC gaming?

Sure Valve capitalized on the success of Counter Strike by forcing Steam onto people who were playing the most popular FPS on earth at the time. But other than HL ( which is average at best), what have Valve bought to PC gaming?

Steam. Which, imo, single handedly saved PC gaming. It was rough for us, 2007-2011 era. We are just NOW getting back to almost the point where we were prior to the 360/PS3 being released, and even with the next gen of consoles that won't change. PC is too far ahead.

Well, I think steam is a pretty solid platform. Not everybody loves it, but at the very least it's given a fair amount exposure to indie games. And then of course there is Portal. And TF2.

There's more pressure to do this from outside the US than inside.

Regardless, this is probably Activision trying to get in on the Linux gaming buzz and get their feet wet to see if there's anything to it. Blizzard being OpenGL/Mac friendly as mentioned earlier is probably one of the easier Activision studios to experiment on Linux with.

Point being, it's not like they need to create a game from scratch. Make some maps, make a few more units, most intensive stuff is the dialog/cut scenes but of course they don't give a shit about single player much any more as a company, and want the all might "game balance" so they can keep their multiplayer fans happy

Uh huh, why should they care for the gameplay of their game, while there are more pressing and "intensive" stuff like dialog/cut scenes hahaah

Ummm....not sure why nixfans would be happy about this.

Blizzard is one of the most tightly DRM controlling companies out there, who always has exclusive distribution of its products which it constantly maintains at artificially inflated prices.

This is good for open source why?...:confused:

Just the fact that a good number of studios seem to want to experiment with Linux speaks volumes on windows, and how hard Microsoft is seemingly working very hard to push everyone aside. Plus apple is helping too I guess!

There's more pressure to do this from outside the US than inside.

Regardless, this is probably Activision trying to get in on the Linux gaming buzz and get their feet wet to see if there's anything to it. Blizzard being OpenGL/Mac friendly as mentioned earlier is probably one of the easier Activision studios to experiment on Linux with.

From what I can tell, all the pressure is from companies trying to escape handing fees to the MS Store with windows 8. The few people who use linux generally can figure out a way to run these games without official hand-holding. I have to wonder what the long-term plan is. This sounds expensive (if actually done) and likely a feint to get MS to retreat a bit with the MS Store.

Blizzard is one of the most tightly DRM controlling companies out there, who always has exclusive distribution of its products which it constantly maintains at artificially inflated prices.

I've never understood the point of Steam on linux. Paying money so you can add DRM to a system previously free as in speech and beer seems foolish.

Microsoft had been shitting on PC gamers for years now. It's of their own making.

Compared to MS doing the same for PC users since 1981... Can't say that ever hurt them (although it might have something to do with why MS phones have been failing for years).

Microsoft had been shitting on PC gamers for years now. It's of their own making.

You got some facts to back that up?

Cause let me see
1.) Developed DirectX which is the most advanced Graphics API (yes it is!) and the only one to fully push current hardware.

2.) Allowed anyone to develop and publish games for their OS (At least pre- Win 8). Steam would never survive in an Apple ecosystem.

3.) Developed the best (yes the best!) console on the market today. Your other options are the amateur Wii or the overpriced only-sony-all-the-time PS3.

4.) Published the original Age of Empires :cool:.

Sure they've made some bad moves here and there, but there is a reason why 98% of PC games out there run on the windows platform. I would even argue that the fact that Windows allows for open hardware configurations is good for gaming.

So get your facts straight and stop trolling.

It's good for the platform to have AAA developers porting software over to it, DRM or not. That's the single biggest thing holding Linux back from competing with MS on the desktop front IMHO.

If I could get all my games and software running on linux 100%, I'd ditch Windows in a heart beat.

Just because Linux is open source doesnt mean that everything made for it has to be open source too. There is plenty of commercial software avalible for it.

I don't think Microsoft is "shitting on PC games for years now", but you haven't posted a single fact to help back your case up.

You did mention one thing that wasn't your opinion:
4.) Published the original Age of Empires

Cause let me see
1.) Developed DirectX which is the most advanced Graphics API (yes it is!) and the only one to fully push current hardware.

2.) Allowed anyone to develop and publish games for their OS (At least pre- Win 8). Steam would never survive in an Apple ecosystem.

3.) Developed the best (yes the best!) console on the market today. Your other options are the amateur Wii or the overpriced only-sony-all-the-time PS3.

Sure they've made some bad moves here and there, but there is a reason why 98% of PC games out there run on the windows platform. I would even argue that the fact that Windows allows for open hardware configurations is good for gaming.

The biggest blunder, IMHO, that MS made regarding PC gaming was giving preferential treatment to the 360. The Xbox STILL gets timed exclusives over the PC... even though they own both platforms. Why not throw their PC userbase a bone every once in a while? And don't even get me started on GFWL...

As for the rest of your 'list'

1.) DX is a nice platform, but you're also locked into MS and Windows at that point. OpenGL is just as capable and has the HUGE advantage to work across every platform (even mobile). I'm at the point, after Windows 8, where I'd love to go to another OS fulltime if I could bring my games with me. DX, more or less, keeps me held hostage on Windows.

2.) This is true for every OS... even Windows 8. ANYONE can develop software for Linux, MacOS and Windows. Steam is surviving just fine on Apple machines.

3.) Again, MS giving prefferential treatment to the XBOX over the PC isn't exactly a compelling argument for what MS has done for the PC gaming community lately.

4.) And then closed the studio. Now we have AOE online.... yeah... go MS :rolleyes:

Uh huh, why should they care for the gameplay of their game, while there are more pressing and "intensive" stuff like dialog/cut scenes hahaah

Jesus christ, talk about missing the point. The game is already there, it's made the game play care has been done, adding a few new units to the expansion for each side shouldn't radically alter the landscape so much such that it takes years to hash out "nerfing" or "boosting" of other units.

Cause let me see

No it isn't. IncontinentX holds back hardware because any new hardware innovations are useless unless Microsoft blesses them by including support for it. OpenGL, on the other hand allows for extensions (see : UltraShadow for an example).

In addition, OpenGL puts most of the task of managing hardware resources on the implementation (equivalent of a driver) rather than the application which allows for each GPU manufacturer to allocate resources in a manner that most efficiently uses the hardware. For example, when Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) came out, all OpenGL games automatically were able to use it because in OpenGL, the decision on how to accomplish a task is the domain of the implementation and not the application (all the application is concerned about is what to draw). IncontinentX required a new version and an entirely different set of commands (meaning old games wouldn't use it).

When it comes to professional graphics, it isn't even a competition. Let me know when you can use Direct3D to render over a network.

We are talking about a console that originally had a near 25% failure rate. It took Microsoft years and multiple revisions to get it to where it was semi-reliable. If this is what constitutes "best", I'd shudder to see what worst is.

I also blame the Xbox 360, in a large part, for the dumbing down of PC gaming and the reason why most games are now trashy console ports.

All 5 WoW users who are also big Linux fans will be happy.

Be surprised how many people do. In fact the very reason why Blizzard left OpenGL as an option for WoW is because of this very reason.

My guild is full of cisco certified and A+ certified people who raid, and a few of them run WoW on Linux. I too have been messing with WoW on Linux on occasion.

I guess it's the mentality of how much control you have over the OS. I've certainly felt like I've lost control of my PC with Windows Vista and 7. Plus upgrading your OS doesn't feel like a financial choice.
Linux-vs.-Windows-vs.-Mac.jpg

Jesus christ, talk about missing the point. The game is already there, it's made the game play care has been done, adding a few new units to the expansion for each side shouldn't radically alter the landscape so much such that it takes years to hash out "nerfing" or "boosting" of other units.

Balance is very delicate thing. I don't know if the game is ready. Maybe not everything is. IMHO it's way easier to add stupid dialogues no one cares about then actually adding new stuff that doesn't brake things. Even you crap on dialogue in your game, some people like you are going to be disappointed. If they brake the balance, though, everyone is fucked over and over. You don't replay missions 5 times a day, do you?

Sweet gaming on linux, oh wait you can't stream your game play with a webcam and image overlays ie you can't stream a real production. Must be a secret MS and Apple plot to prevent streamers from using linux, secret endorsements.

Finally, Linux users can rejoice... WARCRAFT 1 IS FINALLY HERE FOR LINUX!

No it isn't. IncontinentX holds back hardware because any new hardware innovations are useless unless Microsoft blesses them by including support for it. OpenGL, on the other hand allows for extensions (see : UltraShadow for an example).

In addition, OpenGL puts most of the task of managing hardware resources on the implementation (equivalent of a driver) rather than the application which allows for each GPU manufacturer to allocate resources in a manner that most efficiently uses the hardware. For example, when Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) came out, all OpenGL games automatically were able to use it because in OpenGL, the decision on how to accomplish a task is the domain of the implementation and not the application (all the application is concerned about is what to draw). IncontinentX required a new version and an entirely different set of commands (meaning old games wouldn't use it).

When it comes to professional graphics, it isn't even a competition. Let me know when you can use Direct3D to render over a network.

We are talking about a console that originally had a near 25% failure rate. It took Microsoft years and multiple revisions to get it to where it was semi-reliable. If this is what constitutes "best", I'd shudder to see what worst is.

I also blame the Xbox 360, in a large part, for the dumbing down of PC gaming and the reason why most games are now trashy console ports.

Probably one of the more educated posts in this thread.

I am honestly surprised that developers haven't moved completely to OpenGL over DirectX.

There are very little differences between both OpenGL and DirectX API that I can see. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but both are capable of doing similar things. OpenGL just feels more capable to me than DirectX.

Also, for a game company wanting to expanding its marketshare, moving games to OpenGL is a smarter choice. You're no longer confined and locked to one ecosystem-- Windows and Microsoft-related devices.

And, damicatz made a great point about OpenGL that many should realize-- the software just has to tell the card what to draw on the screen. That's it.

Cause let me see

Get my facts straight? How is the (Seriously overpriced compared to the ps3) Xbox the "best"? I have seen the same ignorant statement rehashed over and over in the console debates and its funny how ignorant 360 fans are... The 360 costs far more than the PS3 does. Sure it has a cheaper out the gate price but in the end you pay a fucking fortune to get the same out of it that the PS3 offers without even mentioning blu ray.

Want wireless controllers with rechargeable batteries? Extra charge...
Want more than a ridiculous 4GB of storage? Extra charge...
Want to play online? Extra charge...

Hell you used to even have to pay extra for wifi and the original 360 didnt even have HDMI... The fucking 360 has been playing catch up to the PS3 since release.

To buy a 360 and get just what comes with the ps3 to begin with (minus blu ray) costs you about $100 more. :rolleyes:

And to top it off the 250GB ps3 is actually CHEAPER than the 250GB 360 now. So unless you are trying to compare the shit barebones 4gb 360 price to the PS3 the PS3 is cheaper in every way and a better value, its always been a better value.

Now on to the rest of the bullshit you spewed... Microsoft has shit on PC gamers for years.

1. Of course they continue development of Direct X, right now its just about the only thing keeping them relevant. If you would also pay some attention they are adding few features per release and using it as a way to force people to upgrade windows. They are not doing it for the benefit of gamers or to push gaming along they do it to increase sales on OS revisions nobody really needed. Also Direct X is shit. You have to wait on MS to implement any feature and hope they dont hold it back for windows X only. With openGL if a dev wants a feature he can just add it...

2. Funny how you mention "pre windows 8" Derp... Previous to windows 8 they had no way of doing otherwise. There was no gated ecosystem like there is now. They where not "allowing" and in fact they did everything they could to push publishers and devs from PC development to the fucking xbox.

3. See above. Nothing the "best" about it. Its technically inferior and has always been behind in features, value and reliability. To put it simply they rushed a piece of shit out the door seriously lacking common features like wifi and had a horrid failure rate for years.

4. Yep published AOE 3 then shortly after killed off all PC publishing and went xbox only. Great fucking example, good luck waiting on AOE4. :rolleyes:

So i would say get your facts straight but you'll just reply with more ignorant and made up bullshit.

I've never understood the point of Steam on linux. Paying money so you can add DRM to a system previously free as in speech and beer seems foolish.

Well I don't know about that. I use Linux and don't mind (reasonable) DRM and don't have a problem paying for software and using proprietary stuff. In fact the only thing I use Windows for right now is gaming, and once the Source games get ported over I won't really be using it much at all.

From what I can tell, all the pressure is from companies trying to escape handing fees to the MS Store with windows 8. The few people who use linux generally can figure out a way to run these games without official hand-holding. I have to wonder what the long-term plan is. This sounds expensive (if actually done) and likely a feint to get MS to retreat a bit with the MS Store.

If the article author is to be believed, he's heard in-person "straight from Gabe's mouth" that Valve will be releasing a console this year using Linux as the OS. So if you're a game publisher with contacts in the industry, you'd probably have heard similar things. And if you want to get your games on that console (which isn't such a bad idea... what if it's actually successful?) then that means you need to start making games for Linux. And these guys who have OpenGL engines already have a head start.

like what Blizzard is saying , just want to see and judge the linux waters first :D , from what is currently trending, it seems Ubuntu is getting hold as the mainstream linux distro, if only linux was'nt a fragmentation of distros it could have won a big foot hold of everything years before :D

One of the biggest things that has held Linux back has been lack of support from hardware vendors with drivers. Most hardware vendors(especially video card vendors) don't like using open source for their drivers, they like to keep the nuts and bolts of how their cards work secret. Back when I had DOS, Win95, Linux, BeOS and WinNT all running on one PC I could find decent drivers for pretty much each OS. Once MS pretty much clinched the market good drivers for other OSs dried up. Most current drivers for everything from printers to scanners are reverse engineered by the open source community, if the device vendors would just put some effort into high quality drivers less people would be afraid to switch to Linux since the biggest hold up for most is not having good compatibility with their hardware.

For Linux now I usually run Linux Mint distro which is a version based on Unbuntu and honestly it is so simple to keep updated it probably beats MS at that, and most any Linux program you want to use can be downloaded and installed in a couple clicks right within the OS itself (think free app store).

Well I don't know about that. I use Linux and don't mind (reasonable) DRM and don't have a problem paying for software and using proprietary stuff. In fact the only thing I use Windows for right now is gaming, and once the Source games get ported over I won't really be using it much at all.
The humble bundle sells well (most money per customer on Linux, from memory), but every time I boot from Linux to windows for a Steam game I rage at Steam for insisting on phoning home and likely updating something I don't care about and otherwise getting between me an my (excuse me, some other company's who just might grant me permission to use if they feel like it) game. I suspect those unused to Free (FSF's definition) software are simply used to the abuse.

If the article author is to be believed, he's heard in-person "straight from Gabe's mouth" that Valve will be releasing a console this year using Linux as the OS. So if you're a game publisher with contacts in the industry, you'd probably have heard similar things. And if you want to get your games on that console (which isn't such a bad idea... what if it's actually successful?) then that means you need to start making games for Linux. And these guys who have OpenGL engines already have a head start.

I imagine once Nvidia announced the "shield" program (or even rumors got to Valve), Gabe started negotiations about dumping the console for making Steam privileged on steam.

Back