Blizzard Celebrates 20 Years of Diablo

HardOCP News

[H] News
As we approach the original game’s release anniversary on December 31, Blizzard Entertainment is thrilled to commemorate twenty years of Diablo. We’re ready to celebrate our passion for the world of Sanctuary and the brave heroes who inhabit it! Starting soon, you can experience special in-game events and goodies in Diablo III, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, Overwatch, StarCraft II, and World of Warcraft to celebrate a few of the things we love about Diablo. These events and items will only be available for a limited time, so be sure to check them all out before they’re gone. A small taste of each tribute is below—keep an eye out for more details about these celebrations. . . and thank you, all of you, for allowing us to continue adventuring in the world of Sanctuary. Here’s to twenty years of loot!

Ugh, I feel old. :cry: I 'member playing this with friends when it first came out, over a local network when I was in the military. One of the guys would "borrow" a 16-port 10/100 hub from work and bring it to his house on base. We all had multi-player characters and would eat hot wings, drink a crapload of "Old Mud" and play Diablo for hours. Fun times!

Remember how fucked up the multiplayer for Diablo 1 was? Characters were stored on local computers instead of a Blizzard server. There was a trainer called BoBaFeTt. I remember the worst feature of it was if a player was at the same dungeon level as others, one click of a button on the trainer would kill all other players on that level. Godly plate of the Whale was the armor every cheater had.

But why make it a limited event. Go to all the trouble of "remaking" Diablo 1 and only have it sitting January.....

But why make it a limited event. Go to all the trouble of "remaking" Diablo 1 and only have it sitting January.....
Except they didn't even do that. It's just a visual filter and 8 way movement restriction over a "normal" GR that happens to be 16 levels using enemies are that kinda close but not really correct, with diablo as the rift guardian. I tried it when they put it on the PTR after Blizzcon, it's something to do once or twice and that's about it. They had it hyped up as if it were actually setup like the levels in D1(enemies and tile sets) but it's not even close.

Remember how fucked up the multiplayer for Diablo 1 was? Characters were stored on local computers instead of a Blizzard server. There was a trainer called BoBaFeTt. I remember the worst feature of it was if a player was at the same dungeon level as others, one click of a button on the trainer would kill all other players on that level. Godly plate of the Whale was the armor every cheater had.

And how could anyone forget "Town Kill" or duping gold in the early days.

I know this is Diablo related (the first game) but the wife plays Diablo II with an almost obsessive quality even to this day (and apparently so do millions of others). Just never got into gaming myself - I was a rather [H]ardcore Quake I/II/III player many years ago but that was about it. Even in spite of using personal computers since the mid-1970s I was just never into that side of their usage, go figure.

HAHA OH YEAH, totally remember duping gold. And playing Diablo over a serial connection...and token ring. Quake over token ring to, we were one of the first in the entire area, it was pretty fun.

Am I the only one that thinks it rather lame that the 20 year celebration of Diablo doesn't actually seem to include Diablo? Would have been a good time to re-release Diablo with a new network interface that included full LAN play over IP instead of IPX.

Lan party with coax Ethernet. Where did u go, 1996? Be careful not to bump the terminator off the coax or everyone will scream at you! ROFL

Oh be still my beating heart. I used to drive home at lunch just to abuse TownKill.exe for twenty minutes. It wasn't about stealing peoples' gear, it was their reactions that were priceless. The ones that had a sense of humor about it were the best.

I can't stand d3. Played to the first boss, it's lame.

They'll never re capture that special feeling of the first diablo. Sharp graphics, cool setting, seemingly peaceful town until you talk to the townsfolk and find out about the evils near by. Just how calm the game starts, you're not immediately thrust into boom boom boom, get over here and help us stranger! Too many games start like that now.

Am I the only one that thinks it rather lame that the 20 year celebration of Diablo doesn't actually seem to include Diablo? Would have been a good time to re-release Diablo with a new network interface that included full LAN play over IP instead of IPX.

I'd settle for a Diablo re-release that's optimized to run, without any tweaking from the user, on modern hardware and operating systems.

Diablo 2 Cave soundtrack will always live with me as being epic from the first time I played the game.

I agree. I get a sense of suspense playing the original d1 and not the current d3.

I even liked (and still own) the Diablo expansion, Hellfire, by Sierra On-Line.
250px-HellfireCoverSmall.jpg

Back