Blizzard Bans 5,000+ SC2 Cheaters

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
Whelp, that didn’t take long. Over 5,000 players have been banned for “cheating and/or using hack programs while playing.” Hey, it’s not our fault we can’t stay competitive against the Koreans! :p

Blizzard took the action, it said, because cheating not only is "undermining the spirit of fair competition," but also because the company claims that the use of hack programs can hamper the performance and stability of Battle.net.

Good for Blizzard. Glad they do this once in a while.

I love how instead of patching the hacks they let them run rampant so they can ban people and sell more games..

so pathetic

I love how instead of patching the hacks they let them run rampant so they can ban people and sell more games..

so pathetic

Hackers will just find new hacks after they patch it. Why shouldn't hackers be banned? This way they don't get to play anymore, if hackers are desperate enough to spend more money to buy the game and hack to get banned again, good for them.

so pathetic

The usually patch and ban. Though there are bugs in some of their games that were known on release of game. Though having done a limited amount of programming, I understand that sometimes fixing a bug can introduce 10 more bugs, some of which are much worse than the original big.

What kind of hacks are people doing for SC2? Can I blame them for all my losses?

I love it when the ban hammer comes down on cheaters. I wish the developers of these hacks would make the people's usernames announce to a server when a person is hacking. Then they could PM the hackers opponents and sell the opportunity to fdisk the hackers' hard drives. That would be delightfully therapeutic.

Yea, my fantasies are always lame. <:-/

so pathetic
probably just feeding the troll...

but simply banning them (and subsequently patching) in bulk is more of a deterrent than anything. If they just ban a hand few of a time its not going to really draw much attention as it would if they just wait until they can ban a whole slew of accounts.

I love it when the ban hammer comes down on cheaters. I wish the developers of these hacks would make the people's usernames announce to a server when a person is hacking. Then they could PM the hackers opponents and sell the opportunity to fdisk the hackers' hard drives. That would be delightfully therapeutic.

Yea, my fantasies are always lame. <:-/

One nice thing about BFBC2 was that people's names would be announced to all PB-enabled servers when they were PB banned.

What kind of hacks are people doing for SC2? Can I blame them for all my losses?

The big one is map hacking, which lets you see your opponent's units through the fog of war. Every RTS ever that uses a fog of war system has been susceptible to this one. If the person doing it isn't extremely careful in how they play, you can usually catch them by watching a replay from the player camera view (if their camera moves to look at your base or units through the fog of war, or if they always seem to know exactly where your units are positioned without scouting you, chances are they're map hacking).

There was also a bug that allowed people who knew how to exploit it to warp in Immortals from Warp Gates, without requiring any of the tech that Immortals normally require. That bug was fixed in the latest patch.

so pathetic

Pathetic, no, it's really just smart business, but yeah, people who really want to cheat will just be back, and that means more $$ for blizz.

The Korean Starcraft gaming community has shown its more than willing to cheat to win as well :)

so pathetic

YEAH MAN BLIZZARD IS AN EVIL CORPORATION THAT IS SCAMMING EVERYONE FOR MORE MONEY!! DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM MAN!!

Yeah seriously, this game only sold over 4 million copies thus far, of course an extra five thousand is a HUGE BONUS!!!

Also, they patched a lot of the hacks in 1.1, read a little more closely.

I like how blizzard prefers to ban hackers then wash out people with duplicate keys.

Its good priorities for those paying customers, hackers who ruin the environment are gone first then the ones who run duplicate/generated keys are gone.

I like how blizzard prefers to ban hackers then wash out people with duplicate keys.

Its good priorities for those paying customers, hackers who ruin the environment are gone first then the ones who run duplicate/generated keys are gone.

the game is login based (key is one time use only)

so pathetic
So you are bitter because you were caught cheating, subsequently banned, and now have to fork out more dough to feed your addiction?

I feel no pity for you, and applaud Blizz.

Could have just had LAN play and then people can cheat on their own... but guess that didn't fit into the grand master plan of Activard.

but also because the company claims that the use of hack programs can hamper the performance and stability of Battle.net.

Scary thought that they didnt test their systems for things like this, with the money blizzard has you would think they would have some serious Q.A teams at work.

Blizzard does always do these PR banning campaigns but i tend to find them superficial, Blizzard is usually late with these kind "discoveries" .

The other type of hack I read about was the lag/drop hack. Caused an opponent to be "dropped" and subsequently the other party would win. You can't tell for sure if you've been drop-hacked from your end, but those who aren't careful when deploying it would employ it just as they were about to lose (i.e. a flood of units coming into their base, etc.)

so pathetic

In all honesty I'm willing to bet half of those accounts banned, the user went out & bought another copy of SC2. I never understood cheating or botting, let alone hacking. People really think they'll get back at Blizzard by hacking. Whatever ways you pay for it, Blizzard still sells it's product in the end. Good move Blizzard

I don't think I've ever read anything of this sort regarding WoW accounts. Big f'n deal, you ban 5k accounts which i guess would force 5k more new purchases of SC2. Why don't you just fix the flaw and allow people to retain the value of the product they purchased.

I don't think I've ever read anything of this sort regarding WoW accounts. Big f'n deal, you ban 5k accounts which i guess would force 5k more new purchases of SC2. Why don't you just fix the flaw and allow people to retain the value of the product they purchased.
huh?

Blizzard bans tons of WoW and Diablo accounts (as in, 300k+) all the time, especially for using bots back when their were prevalent.

the game is login based (key is one time use only)

Im not talking about SC2 although I'm sure there will be work arounds later on. They do have a really good policy for kicking people off who ruin the game. Blizzard is one of the few who have the balls to do this (thank god).

Im not talking about SC2 although I'm sure there will be work arounds later on. They do have a really good policy for kicking people off who ruin the game. Blizzard is one of the few who have the balls to do this (thank god).
they have the subs/customers to do this, not so much whether they have the balls to do it

I'm always happy to read about lowlifes getting their shit pushed in.:eek:

6a00d83451c7bb69e201156f2c3d7e970c-800wi

they have the subs/customers to do this, not so much whether they have the balls to do it

You'd be suprised to see how tight the CEO's ass gets once they hear paying customers are banned. It takes balls to ban people for the health of the online community, especially when they do it for cheats.

You'd be suprised to see how tight the CEO's ass gets once they hear paying customers are banned. It takes balls to ban people for the health of the online community, especially when they do it for cheats.

Think of it as a long-term investment. I'm sure some business people can still understand that term.

Back