Blizzard Announces Diablo 2: Resurrected

So you’re familiar with the battle net back end, the old local game client / server code, and the security modules to know there is no good reason?

People don't need to have access to Blizzard's code to know that the endless possibilities 1s and 0s afford means it's entirely possible to make offline accounts that will work over TCP/IP but not with Battle.net, while having separate online accounts that will work with Battle.net.

I’m not the one that made the claim that it was easy and blizzard was just screwing people.

I’ve worked in development long enough, though, to recognize when a PM or lead writes a check Dev can’t deliver
So instead they just decide to lie about it? Don't really see how that's any better, but sure.

People don't need to have access to Blizzard's code to know that the endless possibilities 1s and 0s afford means it's entirely possible to make offline accounts that will work over TCP/IP but not with Battle.net, while having separate online accounts that will work with Battle.net.

Especially since Diablo 2 already worked that way.

I’m not the one that made the claim that it was easy and blizzard was just screwing people.

I’ve worked in development long enough, though, to recognize when a PM or lead writes a check Dev can’t deliver

Or in this case, writes a check that management voids.

The functionality was already there. It still is, if you just load up the original game and look.

Especially since Diablo 2 already worked that way.

Or in this case, writes a check that management voids.

The functionality was already there. It still is, if you just load up the original game and look.
How compatible is battlenet 1.0 with the current battlenet code? Perhaps the conversion to new battlenet broke the old tcp code, and using the new battle net is not acceptable for direct connections not though battlenet?

I know this is going to be a wildly unpopular statement but it begs the question:

What percentage of Diablo 2:R players give a shit about the TCP/IP. 99+% are going to play online.

This just feels like typical nerds making a huge deal about something most people just really don’t give a shit about.

Most people wouldn’t even know what to do with that option if they’re casual and younger.

That’s like complaining that I can’t spawn a copy like I used to be able to do with SC1.

What percentage of Diablo 2:R players give a shit about the TCP/IP. 99+% are going to play online.

This just feels like typical nerds making a huge deal about something most people just really don’t give a shit about.
Oh I agree. I know the majority of consumers and Blizz don't care. Still doesn't make my opinion wrong.

Oh I agree. I know the majority of consumers and Blizz don't care. Still doesn't make my opinion wrong.
Oh I’m not under cutting your opinion at all. You feel lied to and from my reading deservedly so in some respects. I think game makers need to be more communicative with their changing plans. Plans can change but you should make them clear.

I’m more mad about cross system play but my suspicion is that Sony is to blame for that. I’m open to being wrong there though. I haven’t even bothered to look into it.

Oh I’m not under cutting your opinion at all. You feel lied to and from my reading deservedly so in some respects. I think game makers need to be more communicative with their changing plans. Plans can change but you should make them clear.

I’m more mad about cross system play but my suspicion is that Sony is to blame for that. I’m open to being wrong there though. I haven’t even bothered to look into it.
Eh, I wouldn't say I feel lied to or even let down lol. Kind of just "Eh, what else is new". A modern corp game letting people play LAN away from their prying eyes? Come on now :D

I know this is going to be a wildly unpopular statement but it begs the question:

I mean, I understand that position, but I was thinking this might be fun to play with the family in the dead of winter when we have our annual 2 day power outage and no internet. Obviously, have to buy and install in advance, and being prepared for utility failure usually increases the reliability of the utilities (but not by all that much). And buying a copy now may make up for my youthful indiscretions, but no local multiplayer means I can't use it when I want to.

I mean, I understand that position, but I was thinking this might be fun to play with the family in the dead of winter when we have our annual 2 day power outage and no internet. Obviously, have to buy and install in advance, and being prepared for utility failure usually increases the reliability of the utilities (but not by all that much). And buying a copy now may make up for my youthful indiscretions, but no local multiplayer means I can't use it when I want to.
That’s probably the nichest situation I’ve heard thus far. Just play D2 regular?

I know this doesn't apply to you for your usage, but I wonder how much bandwidth d2 r uses. D2 used very little bandwidth (makes sense it was designed for the 56k era).

It's what I play when my power goes down, I just hot spot (my tower is much closer to town, I have never noticed a time it has gone down). My power will go out for a day or two as well. I have a very puny data limit but I'd have to play probably an entire month strait to use my monthly bandwidth allotment on d2 classic.

Later when the server maintenance is over, I'm going to test this.

I know this doesn't apply to you for your usage, but I wonder how much bandwidth d2 r uses. D2 used very little bandwidth (makes sense it was designed for the 56k era).

It's what I play when my power goes down, I just hot spot (my tower is much closer to town, I have never noticed a time it has gone down). My power will go out for a day or two as well. I have a very puny data limit but I'd have to play probably an entire month strait to use my monthly bandwidth allotment on d2 classic.

Later when the server maintenance is over, I'm going to test this.
So, from experience, our towers go down 4-6 hours after utility power, which is better than our DSL which goes down immediately, but it would kind of depend on the area; I've actually got a LTE hotspot for the house to fail over to, but it gets iffy when towers turn off (I did get an external antenna for it since the last big outage, so maybe I can catch a tower across the water where they have a more redundant grid). Bandwidth info will be interesting to see for sure.

I thought it was mentioned that Blizzard are keeping the original Diablo II available alongside D2R. But I just bought D2R and the original D2 is no longer in my Blizzard client, and there's no option to install or play regular D2 in the new D2R game page.

Though, maybe the original D2 was never available through the Blizzard client. It's been a long time since I loaded up either the client or D2.

Well, I need to get rid of my 1.08 skulders and 1.08 vamp still

I don't think I'm going back to classic.

That's only classic, and that's because you could create an unlimited amount of characters.
Arcygenical's comment would be about classic D2, as the remaster hasn't been released for a month yet.

I suspect Blizzard's reasoning would be that they are using the lure of people preserving their characters to keep them returning to the game and Blizzard's client and services. Setting a limit on the number of characters that could be created would solve any server-capacity issues.

Arcygenical's comment would be about classic D2, as the remaster hasn't been released for a month yet.

I suspect Blizzard's reasoning would be that they are using the lure of people preserving their characters to keep them returning to the game and Blizzard's client and services. Setting a limit on the number of characters that could be created would solve any server-capacity issues.

Honestly, I think its more par for the course. They implemented 90 days in what 1.09 or 1.10? It used to be longer, or not enforced. Can't remember.

This server crap is getting out of hand, just lost a shit load of progress from my "connection interruption" and now I have to get back in queue? Trash.

This server crap is getting out of hand, just lost a shit load of progress from my "connection interruption" and now I have to get back in queue? Trash.
People are starting to do Diablo Clone runs, and bots are starting to amass. The Diablo Clone mechanics were carried over from the original game, so you have people spamming games to get on the correct server to coordinate SoJ selling. It's just going to continue being bad and is going to get worse.

People are starting to do Diablo Clone runs, and bots are starting to amass. The Diablo Clone mechanics were carried over from the original game, so you have people spamming games to get on the correct server to coordinate SoJ selling. It's just going to continue being bad and is going to get worse.
Tried to play Saturday night. Went from 63rd in queue to 40 in queue after about 30 minutes. Decided to just go to sleep instead. Would rate 5/5 for excellent tool to help fall asleep.

Tried to play Saturday night. Went from 63rd in queue to 40 in queue after about 30 minutes. Decided to just go to sleep instead. Would rate 5/5 for excellent tool to help fall asleep.
From hopping in queues just to get computer hardware to hopping in queues to play a game that you already bought... god this is a hot mess. Reminds me a lot of D3 when it first came out, I picked it up on clearance a year or two later for $5 at a Walmart, and had no problems at all then :D

Eh, I wouldn't say I feel lied to or even let down lol. Kind of just "Eh, what else is new". A modern corp game letting people play LAN away from their prying eyes? Come on now :D
Borderlands has always allowed LAN play... It's the only way to have a good multiplayer experience if everyone is using willow tree'd or gibbed guns with ridiculous rates of fire and spazzy colors etc.

I have only got stuck in a queue once last week. This past weekend was fine. Weird.

Who could have foreseen this?

Oh, if only they'd had some way to allow people to play the game without needing to check in with battlenet servers. Like some other code that was written 22 years ago that they could have just left intact.

Ah well.

Who could have foreseen this?

Oh, if only they'd had some way to allow people to play the game without needing to check in with battlenet servers. Like some other code that was written 22 years ago that they could have just left intact.

Ah well.

Yeah I remember how diablo 3 launch went, seems like D2 is going there also. Considering how poorly they have managed their servers for other games, no suprise that D2 is having serious issues. They likely cut down the amount of servers they have, as issues in wow and their other games show....now with D2 added to the mix they are crashing and burning.

They've explained why it wasn't actually broken. Has more to do with how people are playing the ge differently compared to 20 years ago
How are they playing differently than hey played diablo 3? Did they not play it differently during the beta?

How are they playing differently than hey played diablo 3? Did they not play it differently during the beta?

Did you not play 20 years ago?
Do you not play now?
Diablo 3 is not anywhere even close to the same game as Diablo 2, especially when it comes to "how to play the game".
They did not have nearly enough people in the beta to break the game, obviously.
Blue posts aren't heard to find so you can be educated on the matter.
Yeah, it sucks, but what is happening actually makes sense and the fix isn't a fingersnap.

Did you not play 20 years ago?
Do you not play now?
Diablo 3 is not anywhere even close to the same game as Diablo 2, especially when it comes to "how to play the game".
They did not have nearly enough people in the beta to break the game, obviously.
Blue posts aren't heard to find so you can be educated on the matter.
Yeah, it sucks, but what is happening actually makes sense and the fix isn't a fingersnap.
I did play 20 years ago. And no, obviously I'm not playing now. Why couldn't you just say a bunch of asshats are using bots and plugging up the servers?

Is there more than one login allowed per account? If so, why? If not, why are they not allocating for the actual sales?

Back