Blizzard Announces Diablo 2: Resurrected

Sure, this would be acceptable......in an online game. D2 doesn't need to be that. It's just Blizz stuck in the archaic mentality of "We must stop those dang pirates by punishing our actual customers".
Nothing archaic about “we must maximize data collection for China and adtech”. Remasters with new mandatory accounts/logins/always-online bloat are just the cheapest, most low risk method to maximize data brokering. Nobody at these companies gives a shit about actual games any more.

It always cracks me up how boomer this forum is considering it's a tech forum.

By far the biggest problem with D2 was rampant cheating. They had to remove the archaic TCP/IP connectivity and add a more modern netplay framework to improve the security of the game to address this. Now we get complaints that it's online only. This is literally a no-win scenario.

Anyway going off my Blizzard friend list I can tell you it doesn't seem many people care since it's by far the most played game right now.

It always cracks me up how boomer this forum is considering it's a tech forum.

By far the biggest problem with D2 was rampant cheating. They had to remove the archaic TCP/IP connectivity and add a more modern netplay framework to improve the security of the game to address this. Now we get complaints that it's online only. This is literally a no-win scenario.

Anyway going off my Blizzard friend list I can tell you it doesn't seem many people care since it's by far the most played game right now.
It's "boomer" to want a single player game to be offline? What an odd conclusion to come to, but alright.

It’s an easy win scenario. Make an online play mode they control like they do now. Make an “offline” play mode that supports MP. Don’t allow the characters to cross over between the two.

You know, like they said they were going to do at first before they walked it back. Something about it being just the original game running underneath? The original game which supports those very things?

When does this crap come out anyways? Is it already released? I think I wasted half my gaming life playing D2 back in the day....

It’s an easy win scenario. Make an online play mode they control like they do now. Make an “offline” play mode that supports MP. Don’t allow the characters to cross over between the two.

You know, like they said they were going to do at first before they walked it back. Something about it being just the original game running underneath? The original game which supports those very things?
It is the original game code, you can literally toggle between Legacy and Modern modes in real time. The only new stuff is some QoL fixes and the graphics renderer. They removed TCP/IP, so the "legacy" offline MP won't work.

So it does have offline mode.... just not offline MP.

Attachments

• D2R_2021_09_24_21_18_43_903.png
    D2R_2021_09_24_21_18_43_903.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Has anyone played it? Is it good?
As another poster stated, it is literally the original D2 client. They added some QoL fixes like a large shared stash, auto-gold pickup, some bug fixes from the original, but otherwise it is the same game. You can even turn off the renderer and play with the original graphics engine at any time if you want.

The new graphics are pretty, overall it's a pretty great remaster if you know what you are buying going in.

As another poster stated, it is literally the original D2 client. They added some QoL fixes like a large shared stash, auto-gold pickup, some bug fixes from the original, but otherwise it is the same game. You can even turn off the renderer and play with the original graphics engine at any time if you want.

The new graphics are pretty, overall it's a pretty great remaster if you know what you are buying going in.

So basically they are just re-releasing the same old game as a cash grab? :) Smart Company. And people still pay it!

So basically they are just re-releasing the same old game as a cash grab? :) Smart Company. And people still pay it!
I mean, that's literally what most players asked for, so... yeah lol.

It's similar to how they did the Starcraft remaster which was critically acclaimed.

It is the original game code, you can literally toggle between Legacy and Modern modes in real time. The only new stuff is some QoL fixes and the graphics renderer. They removed TCP/IP, so the "legacy" offline MP won't work.

So it does have offline mode.... just not offline MP.

That’s my point. The win-win scenario was to just do what they said they were going to do - leave it all intact. That was it. This wasn’t “no win” for them, it was “easy win”.

But they didn’t. They removed a feature that people were excited about for… reasons?

That’s my point. The win-win scenario was to just do what they said they were going to do - leave it all intact. That was it. This wasn’t “no win” for them, it was “easy win”.

But they didn’t. They removed a feature that people were excited about for… reasons?
Don't see why they couldn't let people play LAN together with offline characters. Online can have all the security they want, whatever.

Nope, literally no good reason.

So you’re familiar with the battle net back end, the old local game client / server code, and the security modules to know there is no good reason?
Why does battle net have to be involved in local mp? I know there's no good reason because they said it would have it, then retracted because of "security". If they had a better reason, they would have used it.

Offline characters playing LAN would in no way impact how people play online.

Why does battle net have to be involved in local mp? I know there's no good reason because they said it would have it, then retracted because of "security". If they had a better reason, they would have used it.

Offline characters playing LAN would in no way impact how people play online.
And how exactly do you think both single player and tcp/ip multi player work in classic d2?

So you’re familiar with the battle net back end, the old local game client / server code, and the security modules to know there is no good reason?

And how exactly do you think both single player and tcp/ip multi player work in classic d2?

It has literally nothing to do with it. “Offline” multiplay - off of battlenet - had no impact on “online” multiplay - on battlenet. There’s no battle net sign in when you host a tcp-ip game or single player. Have you actually played Diablo 2?

Blizzard made this really clear when the game was announced. You can have your secure MP and your insecure MP or whatever you want to call it. The two won’t interfere with each other, just like in the original. Lots of benefits to the updated battlenet capabilities but it has no bearing on direct multiplay.

Here’s the information direct from the principal design at vicarious visions, the team that developed it, before blizzard walked it back:

(Source article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-19-the-big-diablo-2-resurrected-interview)

I remember trading on Diablo 2, it was a bit Wild West. And there was loads of item duping. It would be great to get some insight into how you're handling that for this game, and what lessons were learned in the 20 years that followed.

Rod Fergusson:
One of the big things for us is going to be just the benefits of modern Battle.net. It provides a layer of security that we haven't had before in D2. When you play an online game, you're actually playing on a dedicated server on Battle.net, and you'll be able to play in a more secure environment. And so it's much more protected.

That's not to say some of those things might be impossible, but we're going to have a much more secure environment to be in, whether it be bots, or trading or duping, those sort of things. It's being authenticated as your playing, essentially.

It sounds like the goal is to replicate the trading as it was in Diablo 2. So, it will be there. You're not stripping it out?

Rod Fergusson:
No. In fact it's been made easier. You still have to go over and meet up and trade in-person, those sorts of things. But the ability to broadcast what you have or tell that person who's in your game what you found as Rob talked about, all that stuff is there, but you still have to do the meetup. It's not like I can mail it to them.

A lot of the stuff that we're doing is what was there in the original. We're really focused on having an authentic experience. You can still connect locally through TCP IP if you want to! That was there in D2. It'll be there in D2R. We've really focused on making sure that if there's something about the core experience you loved, we're bringing that over. But we do get a lot of benefits from being on a more secure platform.

It has literally nothing to do with it. “Offline” multiplay - off of battlenet - had no impact on “online” multiplay - on battlenet. There’s no battle net sign in when you host a tcp-ip game or single player. Have you actually played Diablo 2?

Blizzard made this really clear when the game was announced. You can have your secure MP and your insecure MP or whatever you want to call it. The two won’t interfere with each other, just like in the original. Lots of benefits to the updated battlenet capabilities but it has no bearing on direct multiplay.

Here’s the information direct from the principal design at vicarious visions, the team that developed it, before blizzard walked it back:

(Source article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-19-the-big-diablo-2-resurrected-interview)

I remember trading on Diablo 2, it was a bit Wild West. And there was loads of item duping. It would be great to get some insight into how you're handling that for this game, and what lessons were learned in the 20 years that followed.

Rod Fergusson:
One of the big things for us is going to be just the benefits of modern Battle.net. It provides a layer of security that we haven't had before in D2. When you play an online game, you're actually playing on a dedicated server on Battle.net, and you'll be able to play in a more secure environment. And so it's much more protected.

That's not to say some of those things might be impossible, but we're going to have a much more secure environment to be in, whether it be bots, or trading or duping, those sort of things. It's being authenticated as your playing, essentially.

It sounds like the goal is to replicate the trading as it was in Diablo 2. So, it will be there. You're not stripping it out?

Rod Fergusson:
No. In fact it's been made easier. You still have to go over and meet up and trade in-person, those sorts of things. But the ability to broadcast what you have or tell that person who's in your game what you found as Rob talked about, all that stuff is there, but you still have to do the meetup. It's not like I can mail it to them.

A lot of the stuff that we're doing is what was there in the original. We're really focused on having an authentic experience. You can still connect locally through TCP IP if you want to! That was there in D2. It'll be there in D2R. We've really focused on making sure that if there's something about the core experience you loved, we're bringing that over. But we do get a lot of benefits from being on a more secure platform.
So they made promises they likely couldn’t deliver on, and it is likely tied to how d2 spawns a local server to play both tcp and single player.

Like, did you V ignore the part of the quote that said:

That's not to say some of those things might be impossible

Endgame You need some reading comprehension if that’s how you’re interpreting that line. It’s in direct reference to how things like cheating might still be possible even with the more secure online play.

“You can still connect locally through TCP IP if you want to” is a really clear statement. There are no qualifiers in it. It wouldn’t have been said if it wasn’t going to be an option.

But as you pointed out earlier:

I guess you’re super familiar with how the battle net back end, old local game client / server code and security modules work to know better than the lead designer on the game.

This was just a stupid management decision to try and make it harder for casual pirates. It would be nice if they’d just come out and say it instead of hiding behind rhetoric about cheating and security.

So if my internet is down, can I still play SP offline? I don't really care about MP.
Yes. With D2R, If you create an offline SP character, that character is forever SP-only, and you can play it with no internet connection at all.

I’m just mad this isn’t available for cross play.
Wait you can't play PS5 vs PC vs Xbox? If so that seems like an epic fail. I thought I read something about being able to take your characters with you across platforms?

Wait you can't play PS5 vs PC vs Xbox? If so that seems like an epic fail. I thought I read something about being able to take your characters with you across platforms?
No. You can purchase the game on multiple platforms and transfer the characters between the systems with battle.net

You can’t play Xbox with your PlayStation and pc friends. Which is a huge problem for me because half the old group has PS and the other half has Xbox. Kinda sucks.

No. You can purchase the game on multiple platforms and transfer the characters between the systems with battle.net

You can’t play Xbox with your PlayStation and pc friends. Which is a huge problem for me because half the old group has PS and the other half has Xbox. Kinda sucks.
why arent they all on pc? you need new friends :p. But why tf didnt they allow for cross play, you can seriously use a controller on pc and if theres concern about loot dropping and PC having advantage over console... play solo then which you would have been doing either way. Loot grabbing is the only defensable argument gameplay wise to not include cross play.

why arent they all on pc? you need new friends :p. But why tf didnt they allow for cross play, you can seriously use a controller on pc and if theres concern about loot dropping and PC having advantage over console... play solo then which you would have been doing either way. Loot grabbing is the only defensable argument gameplay wise to not include cross play.
Hey man the old D2 crew grew up! I personally have all the consoles and a very nice gaming PC but life happened fast.

Will you be my friend? ☺️🥰😆

Wow so my entire plan outa wack. playing on PC in my alone time. Then switch to an Xbox when gf or friends wanna play.

I'm assuming you'd have to pay for a character transfer between systems? This really sucks balls in so many ways.

Wow so my entire plan outa wack. playing on PC in my alone time. Then switch to an Xbox when gf or friends wanna play.

I'm assuming you'd have to pay for a character transfer between systems? This really sucks balls in so many ways.
You can transfer between both from my reading in gaming websites. But you have to buy a copy for both systems.

So if you wanna play on PC and then play on Xbox with your gf or friends you can do that if they’re on Xbox.

But you can’t play on the PC with your gf on Xbox. Which really pisses me off.

My friends situation is terrible because I’d have to buy 3 copies and I’m not even sold on one copy.

You can transfer between both from my reading in gaming websites. But you have to buy a copy for both systems.

So if you wanna play on PC and then play on Xbox with your gf or friends you can do that if they’re on Xbox.

But you can’t play on the PC with your gf on Xbox. Which really pisses me off.

My friends situation is terrible because I’d have to buy 3 copies and I’m not even sold on one copy.

Yea my brother was pretty pissed when he found out. I on the other hand, do not care personally when it comes to my personal play. However, it would be nice to play with my brother.

Ahh, the good old days, when if the battlenet server switcher wasn't working you could just run a fsgs server so you and your friends could play starcraft or diablo together. Didn't have to worry about that with D2 because you had direct IP. It would be nice to even just have some sort of LAN option which could then use emulation to play with friends via the internet.

Endgame You need some reading comprehension if that’s how you’re interpreting that line. It’s in direct reference to how things like cheating might still be possible even with the more secure online play.

“You can still connect locally through TCP IP if you want to” is a really clear statement. There are no qualifiers in it. It wouldn’t have been said if it wasn’t going to be an option.

But as you pointed out earlier:

I guess you’re super familiar with how the battle net back end, old local game client / server code and security modules work to know better than the lead designer on the game.

This was just a stupid management decision to try and make it harder for casual pirates. It would be nice if they’d just come out and say it instead of hiding behind rhetoric about cheating and security.

Developers removed TCP IP because of piracy. They actually did say it somewhere, I just can't find where it was. I saw it last week.

Back