Blizzard Announces Diablo 2: Resurrected

Ehhh. PoE improved upon D2 in every conceivable way. And it’s free.

I wish. PoE was an exceedingly boring grind for me. D2 was fun to play. Then again I played PoE during it's first couple years. Maybe it's changed significantly since then and I should give it another shot?
Its so bloated now. Outside of the synthesis league, I think every league mechanic is still in the game. Any person just join PoE today, I doubt would even survive. There's just so much to it. I need three monitors just to get by. One for trade, one for the game, and another for my Path of Building diagram.

I played countless hours of POE. I don't agree. Its too convoluted. The old saying "A jack of all trades is a master of none" comes to mind. Also, I find that the FOV is way too close to the character. It didn't used to be that way in early access. When they released the game for consoles, is when the game went downhill.

The sheer volume of stuff in POE is still a net positive vs other minimalist ARPGs. Makes it far less of a grind than what D2 used to be. Not sure how anyone could think D2 was less of a grind.

Anyways, I think I'll probably stick with my magic find/ARPG gaming retirement unless this remaster is too good of an offer to refuse and somehow find ways around inevitable grind that all ARPGs have.

The sheer volume of stuff in POE is still a net positive vs other minimalist ARPGs. Makes it far less of a grind than what D2 used to be. Not sure how anyone could think D2 was less of a grind.

Anyways, I think I'll probably stick with my magic find/ARPG gaming retirement unless this remaster is too good of an offer to refuse and somehow find ways around inevitable grind that all ARPGs have.
Oh no, you'll play it, you'll grind it & you'll like it. You can't resist Diablo, you know that.

It's a lot more than a graphical update as Resurrected is being built in the Unreal Engine and not just an updated version of the original. There are stories floating around of the epic struggle of losing all the game data then rebuilding their codebase from snippets that had been emailed, taken home, or left on old laptops destined for the recycling piles, and getting the art assets back from materials put together for promo booths and the like.

Where did you see this? I've watched all of the interviews and have not seen that

It's a lot more than a graphical update as Resurrected is being built in the Unreal Engine and not just an updated version of the original. There are stories floating around of the epic struggle of losing all the game data then rebuilding their codebase from snippets that had been emailed, taken home, or left on old laptops destined for the recycling piles, and getting the art assets back from materials put together for promo booths and the like.
As the developers have stated, the game actually runs on the original engine, but with a modern engine running on top of it. I'm not so sure its the Unreal Engine, although its possible or heavily modified, some of the play footage looks "Unreal", like the blue flames on the waypoints ect.

Where did you see this? I've watched all of the interviews and have not seen that
Person on reddit posted a rumor that its using the Unreal Engine. The person also thinks that the Unreal Engine is "new".
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/l8hwa5/diablo_2_resurrected_may_use_a_new_game_engine/

Judging by the footage of the game, its possible.
Yeah from the hirings the the company made beforehand also the fact it is getting a console release, it would take a hell of a lot of work to convert any of the original D2 engines over for a console port. It's nothing confirmed just very likely.

As the developers have stated, the game actually runs on the original engine, but with a modern engine running on top of it. I'm not so sure its the Unreal Engine, although its possible or heavily modified, some of the play footage looks "Unreal", like the blue flames on the waypoints ect.
I would love a source for that because the one I am reading states the exact opposite, that they are using a "New 3D Engine"
"There's a lot of new in Diablo 2: Resurrected, including the 3D engine, Dolby surround sound, and the conveniences of a shared item stash and integrated Battle.net friends list."
I really doubt they would take the time to make the original engine run on the switch, XBoxes and Sony's. Hell for all I know the scripting language for the Diablo 3, Immortal, or Diablo 4 engines is just very similar to the Unreal Engine and the hirings having those skills just makes the transition smoother.

The interviews that I've seen had directly said that they are running the original game, graphics and all, underneath of a 3d visual renderer. They were plain as day about that.

Yeah and you are able to switch freely between both old and new version on the fly, they showed that happening during the d2 round table on blizzcon.

I would love a source for that because the one I am reading states the exact opposite, that they are using a "New 3D Engine"
Right, they are in fact using a new 3D engine, but using the old engine underneath for the games logic as well.

Watch the Deep Dive video. Starting at 6:32 they begin to explain it.

Last edited:
Watch the Deep Dive video.

@ 6:32

So from the very video and the very clip starting at 6:32 you state there they say "Our New Graphics Engine", and from later parts they are talking about how they translated the pacing and logic rules to work in the new engine.

So from the very video and the very clip starting at 6:32 you state there they say "Our New Graphics Engine", and from later parts they are talking about how they translated the pacing and logic rules to work in the new engine.
They are using a new graphics engine, which has been stated & also overlapping the original engine. Basically they are using the original engine for the core logic of the game without having to reprogram the entire game. The new engine is just for the modern look, it doesn't actually run the game. Their giving the game a new paint job & adding a few quality of life improvements.

Graphics engine and logic engine are totally different. The game still runs on the original engine at its core. That core logic had to be implemented into the new engine to an extent, for animations ect.

Also, this

Last edited:
They are using a new graphics engine, which has been stated & also overlapping the original engine. Basically they are using the original engine for the core logic of the game without having to reprogram the entire game. The new engine is just for the modern look, it doesn't actually run the game. Their giving the game a new paint job & adding a few quality of life improvements.

This is exactly it

This is exactly it
That's what I got out of it anyway. Sounds pretty neat, one game running two engines at the same time. Incredible stuff.

It was talked about for a long time, a good decade that Diablo 2 would be nearly impossible to faithfully remake it because of the core logic and limitations of the original engine. But it looks like these guys found a way. I guess it was only a matter of time and birth of new technologies.

This was 3 years ago when they were talking about a remake with the original developer of Diablo 2

In the deep dive video they stated that all the cinematics have been fully remastered as well. Sounds pretty good to me.
Oh yeah, apparently they are remaking them frame by frame. They said that they are going to stick to the originals as much as possible. Should look incredible in 4k. The Diablo 2 cinematic's are some of the best in gaming history.

The ideas sound neat, but we'll have to wait for the actual product to see.

Would a bad D2 remake be the final nail for the reputation of Blizz? Now that would be something to see.

Meh. I could never get into POE. In ways it feels like too much. The skill tree seems complicated solely for the sake of being complicated. And nothing else ever really "felt" right to me. It simply couldn't scratch that Diablo itch for me.

Meh. I could never get into POE. In ways it feels like too much. The skill tree seems complicated solely for the sake of being complicated. And nothing else ever really "felt" right to me. It simply couldn't scratch that Diablo itch for me.
That's exactly how I felt about it too. The socket system always annoyed me also. But I did play it a lot when it was early access many years ago, just because there was nothing else to play as far as ARPG's at the time.

This was also my thoughts about it. The Path of Diablo mod for D2 is pretty perfect.

I wish. PoE was an exceedingly boring grind for me. D2 was fun to play. Then again I played PoE during it's first couple years. Maybe it's changed significantly since then and I should give it another shot?
I feel like Grim Dawn goes overlooked in ARPG discussions too often.
There's your problem. It's a passive tree, not a skill tree. Your skills are determined by the gems you socket. The idea of the passive tree is to just figure out what keystones you want and then find the optimal path to them, not worrying too much about the passives in between.

Didn't end up signing up on for alpha, but looking forward to the finished product. Loved me some D2 and haven't played in a long long time.

I opted in for the Alpha during Blizzcon.

Any one know if Blizzard goes by queue line + random or is it always random invites?

I opted in for the Alpha during Blizzcon.

Any one know if Blizzard goes by queue line + random or is it always random invites?

They take into consideration if you're familiar with the franchise and your system specs.

Looks most certainly like the same game with a 3d engine, avoiding the Warcraft 3 esque rewrite.

I watched some videos and the game still hiccups at certain areas where the original game would (some spells, effects, etc).

Same game with new graphics is good. Same game with new graphics and a couple of buffs to certain skills (half the Paladin defensive tree) would be better.

Some people don't want to play a new game. And for those that do, there's Diablo 4.

Looks most certainly like the same game with a 3d engine, avoiding the Warcraft 3 esque rewrite.

I watched some videos and the game still hiccups at certain areas where the original game would (some spells, effects, etc).

What I got from the information released was that they are literally running the same game code and then just a new, much higher detail, output layer.

I think they said they were going to tweak a small number of things, like inventory and what not; so not quite the same code, but close enough.

Back