Blew up a brand new DFI x38. What gives.

veedubfreak

2[H]4U
Ok so all of my parts finally came in on thursday, i toss the new board and 2 4870s into the rig, everything is going swimmingly. I then try to push the q6600 up to 4ghz, which i have done many times in the past on my 680i, and when i went to boot up, the board displayed 88 on the LCD. I hold the power button down and go about doing a reset cmos, now the board wont even post. Everything still powers on, but the LCD on the board is blank, and all the fans spin up at full speed until i hold the power button down to turn it off.

I left the battery out for 24 hours and put the board back in the computer, same results. Anyone have any ideas? I already put in for an RMA at newegg, but it pisses me off to no end that i have to pay shipping back to them, then wait god knows how long until they send me a new board.

Could be a corrupt bios. When hardware isnt working correctly because of overclocking or component failure it can really mess things up. Most overclocking boards have some type of bios corruption reflash but even that doesnt always work.

Ive had that problem before with DFI. cant recall what I did. try using only one stick of ram after you totally clear cmos with removing battery, etc. I have had this happen and the day I decide to do an RMA it decides to boot back up, lol. Mine was on the ultra-d and SLI-d. havent used an intel DFI yet.

Meh, i talked to a newegg rep yesterday and they are just going to issue a refund on the board when i sent it back. So i ordered the x48 dfi lt instead, maybe it wont die on me. If i have problems with this one i'm going to be annoyed.

Also, how do you corrupt the bios by just setting voltages and FSB ?

Back