Blank screen with 4090 when UEFI enabled

russnuck

Hard DC'er of the Month January 2023
Yes, I know there is a vBIOS udpate and it is applied to my 4090. I figured I'd ask anyways...

Anyone having issues with blank screens with UEFI turned on? Just some of the wackyness.
  1. To get into the BIOS I'd have to boot into Windows and then restart.
  2. The BIOS flash utility wouldn't display on screen. I had to swap in a RX470 to flash the BIOS.
  3. Sometimes I'd lose signal when switching KVM sources. Only restarting would fix the issue.
  4. This was 100% reproducable if I was in something other than Windows (memtest boot, BIOS, Linux on occasion)
For reference. I am using an MSI x570 Gaming Plus with the latest BIOS revision. Switching to CSM seems to have fixed the issues 100%

Sure its an Nvidia card? j/k

To ensure compatibility with certain UEFI SBIOSes, an update to the NVIDIA GPU firmware may be required. Without the update, graphics cards in certain motherboards that are in UEFI mode could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads. This update should only be applied if blank screens are occurring on boot.

Click here to download the NVIDIA GPU UEFI Firmware Update Tool v1.2.

The NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

If you are currently experiencing a blank screen, please try one of the following workarounds in order to run the tool:
  • Ensure you are using the latest SBIOS from your motherboard vendor
  • Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy/CSM
  • Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary card or integrated graphics)
  • After powering on your system, wait for your operating system to load with the graphics driver installed

Once you have the tool downloaded, please run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions. Ensure all apps are closed before running the tool and make sure no OS updates are pending in the background. This tool can be used with Founders Edition as well as partner cards.

Applicable Products
GeForce RTX 4090, GeForce RTX 4080

Last edited:
:LOL:

1678243056819.png

Did all that and more. Only thing that works is switching from UEFI. Seems shit is still broken.

If CSM fixes it, you might try going back to UEFI but disable Re-size Bar.

How old is the mobo Bios? That might need to be updated by the mobo manufacturer.
Edit:
1678397841456.png

So this one?

Since applying the firmware update to the 4090, have you done a complete power down? If not, power the pc down, then unplug the ac power or flip the psu's power switch to off, and give it a few minutes for a full power cycle. To ensure the card has switched over to the new firmware. Unplug the card from the monitor too while the pc is off.

Last edited:
All of that and it's the latest MSI BIOS. My guess is that it's typical MSI quality.

I even pulled the CMOS battery and unplugged the PSU. I'm just going to leave it in CSM until Win 10 goes EOL and I have to upgrade motherboards.

All of that and it's the latest MSI BIOS. My guess is that it's typical MSI quality.

I even pulled the CMOS battery and unplugged the PSU. I'm just going to leave it in CSM until Win 10 goes EOL and I have to upgrade motherboards.
Um it's a known 4090 issue with AMD motherboards that has been going on since its release. That is the whole purpose of the 4090 update.

Indeed. I did all the fixes and still have issues, thus why I asked if any others were having issues or im just unlucky.

:ROFLMAO:

Yes, I know there is a vBIOS udpate and it is applied to my 4090. I figured I'd ask anyways...

Anyone having issues with blank screens with UEFI turned on? Just some of the wackyness.
  2. The BIOS flash utility wouldn't display on screen. I had to swap in a RX470 to flash the BIOS.
  3. Sometimes I'd lose signal when switching KVM sources. Only restarting would fix the issue.
  4. This was 100% reproducable if I was in something other than Windows (memtest boot, BIOS, Linux on occasion)
For reference. I am using an MSI x570 Gaming Plus with the latest BIOS revision. Switching to CSM seems to have fixed the issues 100%
Which brand of 4090?

I would RMA it.

Reactions: Mega6
like this

What screen do you use? My monitor is 4K 120hz and the 4090 will not display the bios over DP but it will work with HDMI (over DP I have no display until the driver loads in windows). My other monitors work fine. I remember looking this up and I can't remember the specific reason why it does that but it had something to do with UEFI vs legacy mode.

To me it's not worth the hassle of RMA and I wouldn't be surprised if a "new" card has the same issue because it seem to be firmware related (MSI x570). I'll wait it out and see if there are any vBIOS / SMBIOS udpates. In my case UEFI doesn't do much for me. I use a run of the mill Acer 4k60 display and don't have any drives large require GPT.

It's just about the annoyance of the bug being present.

Back