Blank (no holes) I/O shield

Anyone know where to get these? Basically looking for an I/O shield that doesn't have any wholes in it (place holder?) as its for a chassis being used as JBOD and won't actually have a motherboard in it.

I have heard this question before and the general consensus is that there is not a place to purchase a blank I/O shield. Since I assume the goal is just to keep dust out, I would suggest getting a thin piece of plastic that overhangs the top and bottom of the shield area and then use small/strong magnets on the top and bottom to keep the plastic in place.

Usually I would say use those magnetic vent covers but the magnet material on it is not strong enough for vertical use.

Kinda ghetto but you could spend days and not find a blank I/O shield.

Old IO shield, duct tape and an Xacto knife should do the trick. Cover it on both sides so none of the sticky part remains exposed.

Or, if your more creative, a dremal and some soft materiel that's easy to work with like Lexan.

You'll spend a lot less time just making one than you will searching for it...

Old IO shield, duct tape and an Xacto knife should do the trick. Cover it on both sides so none of the sticky part remains exposed.

Or, if your more creative, a dremal and some soft materiel that's easy to work with like Lexan.

You'll spend a lot less time just making one than you will searching for it...

Agreed. Mod an old one.

If you tape over an old one, use aluminum tape, not duct tape. Duct tape would look super ghetto. Aluminum tape shouldn't look tooooo bad.

If you tape over an old one, use aluminum tape, not duct tape. Duct tape would look super ghetto. Aluminum tape shouldn't look tooooo bad.
Not super ghetto, but still kind of ghetto ;) Honestly, just what you've got laying around for something so trivial as this.

Harass Supermicro. They include them with their SAS expander chassis and you may have some luck coaxing them into selling you some directly.

Back