Blame Netflix Troubles on Spotty Streaming Selection

I'm surprised at all the complaints for $8 a month. It's $8 and you expect the world? In a market where the suppliers are downright hostile toward Netflix I don't think we'll be seeing much in the way of big deals for new content. Compared to Amazon's Prime content the stuff on Netflix is downright luxurious (and a whole lot of what Amazon's got is also on Netflix). The content pool will have to drop a lot more for it to not even be worth $8 to me, That will barely buy me lunch for a day.

I just don't know how they can get better and not put themselves out of business though. The studios want piles of money from Netflix for every movie they put on streaming, but Netflix likely can't afford it because if they charge even $1 more a month the internet explodes with people crying like someone stole their blanky. They botched some PR moves, no doubt. Quickster is a dumb name too. But they aren't some evil company deserving of the hate they seem to get. The studios have a gun to their head.

^ This +10. We pay $8 a month for an unbelievable amount of TV series commercial free (at least those of us with lives and responsibilities that have prevented us from seeing anything live for 5 or 6 years. Those of you that have seen all of them, watch live fricking TV - you have the time!). I'd happily pay $8.50, even $9, but anymore than that and I'm burning this biatch down! (jk).

But on a real note, netflix has blown it with their consistent advertising to families and basement boys. They still push movies when this is the weak link of their business model (especially after losing Starz). They should target young professionals with money to burn, but no time to watch TV on a regular schedule. It's amazing how many of my friends don't have Netflix and watch the same repeat episodes of Always Sunny at 12am on WGN (and we're in MN) because it's the only time they have to watch TV.

Netflix has been a godsend. Working as an accounting manager as well as continuing my education has prevented me from watching primetime TV for years, and when I get a chance I watch my hometown sporting teams. Netflix has completely ignored me as a consumer, but I love them - I would have missed Battlestar, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, SGU, and countless other shows had I not been a member.

What they need to do is gut the marketing division/agency and start from scratch. It's like a 12 year old is advising them. The only reason I would cancel is if I see one more fricken pop-up on weather.com. Who is telling them this is working or a good strategy?

The streaming selection on Netflix is absolutely terrible. It's worse than the movie selection on Hulu.

Nothing but B movies no one has ever heard of or shit you have heard of but would never want to watch.

There's some good TV show selections like NCIS, Archer, Battlestar Galactica but once you watch them once there isn't much incentive to watch them again.

As everyone here has already said, I really only use Netflix for the TV series.

Any movie I want to watch I typically see long before it's on Netflix streaming, and for less than $8/month - thank you Redbox + all the free codes that are online.

It's funny. With the studios being so greedy and planning their own ways to break into streaming, they will splinter the market into half a dozen or so different streaming sites for their own studios.

Which means people will just keep pirating movies and television instead of paying for it.

I'm not paying for a half dozen different streaming plans at $15+ each. I'll go read a book instead for 99 cents off amazon.

It's funny. With the studios being so greedy and planning their own ways to break into streaming, they will splinter the market into half a dozen or so different streaming sites for their own studios.

Which means people will just keep pirating movies and television instead of paying for it.

I'm not paying for a half dozen different streaming plans at $15+ each. I'll go read a book instead for 99 cents off amazon.

Heh, you could even go read one for free at

gutenberg.org/
or archive.org
or your public library.

You can even view movies for free. I'm not saying you don't already know these things, but the worst thing the average person can do is paint himself into a corner with all these "must have" $$$ plans. There's no need to be a pirate or a whore to the corporations, at least not yet.

I dumped streaming when they did the massive price hike for the same reason as this article. Their streaming selection sucks ass. It always has and still does.

Hell I gave it another chance last month and canceled it this month. There is just nothing there.

I just don't know how they can get better and not put themselves out of business though. The studios want piles of money from Netflix for every movie they put on streaming, but Netflix likely can't afford it because if they charge even $1 more a month the internet explodes with people crying like someone stole their blanky. They botched some PR moves, no doubt. Quickster is a dumb name too. But they aren't some evil company deserving of the hate they seem to get. The studios have a gun to their head.

also in agreement. People need to focus their rage in the right place. I can't help but think netflix would love to keep customers happy and itself rolling in money. However, the studios don't like that idea and really want them out of the picture. Honestly for them it's a lose lose situation unless they can find a loophole.

For my family? Netflix only provides old re-runs, most of them died off early last decade. Can't think of any new content that has come up on the service that has interested us. Probably will be canceling by years end of the situation doesn't change.

What we really need to do is separate the content producers from the content distributors. That'll fix a lot of the market's issues (and greed!) but sadly that isn't going to happen any time soon.

People amaze me. Sign up for Netflix streaming and Hulu plus, you've got everything worth watching on cable and a whole lot more, for $15 a month. Oh, but $8 is too much, they raised their price a $1! I know, I'll spend $100 a month on cable, that'll show em! The reasoning here, or lack of it I should say, is just staggering.

The networks are trying to kill Netflix by jacking up their licensing fees to save their antiquated service model and keep us all paying exorbitant prices for their shit programming and 10 minute commercial breaks every 4 minutes, and peo

THIS!

I was annoyed when Netflix raised their prices last year. Really annoyed. I thought about canceling my subscription. They should have handled the price increase better - make it gradual, instead of 60% all at once.

That said, $15 a month is a steal for what is there, which happens to be exactly what I'd watch on basic cable (at several times the price) anyway.

Back