Blade Runner 2049 Stumbles at Box Office

My aunt runs a theatre, her husband owns one and togher they own a drve in. They said they have seen more ppl walk out of this than anything in years

Given how stupid your average person actually is it doesn't surprise me. This is not a film made to make money, and the same goes with the original Blade Runner. Most people don't give a shit about a lot of the stuff that I think makes both films so nice to watch. Most folks just want mindless action and largely they don't want to think about films. If a film requires any sort of critical thinking skills to analyze it's going to fail.

Decided to watch the original movie right before I went to watch the new one in the theater, and I was really surprised by how they kept the same tone of the first movie in the new one. I really liked the sequel and I didn't notice how long the movie actually was, so I suppose I had a really good time. I guess the only thing I wasn't wasn't really working for me was Jared Leto's character as he usually ends up overdoing his acting.

Given how stupid your average person actually is it doesn't surprise me. This is not a film made to make money, and the same goes with the original Blade Runner. Most people don't give a shit about a lot of the stuff that I think makes both films so nice to watch. Most folks just want mindless action and largely they don't want to think about films. If a film requires any sort of critical thinking skills to analyze it's going to fail.

The funny thing is, this movie doesn't even require much thought to understand the plot. It's very much spoon-fed to the audience. All it requires really is paying attention and stamina through a 2.75 hour film.

No, I am under no such illusion. You act as tho I care about what the movie did at the box-office or for that matter, the army of fans that love the original. If you want to take the side of bankers, that's fine but don't assume I do or have or ever will. I could care less.

The movie did very well and has stood the test of time for it's artistry, cinematography, soundtrack, casting, etc. For you to use "disappointment" in the same breath as Blade Runner shows where your concern lies .... with money. And if so why would anyone care what you have to say? I don't or think others should.

I actually went and saw the movie last night and it was pretty disappointing in terms of social impact/longevity and especially artistry. I thought it was worth the money and I enjoyed my time there but the movie is nothing even close to the look and feel or impact of the original. It's a soulless sold out piece of Hollywood shovel-ware, nothing more, nothing less.

I even took it one step further since I consider myself a true fan of the original and purchased the soundtrack - Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch - Blade Runner 2049. I've had a chance to listen through it and again, my initial reaction is disappointment. What qualifies me here i think is that I've listened to electronica with passion ever since I first heard Tour De France by Kraftwerk ( 10 Speed Cover ) when I went to see Breakin' in 1984 when I was 15 back when Break Dancing was all the rage. It's good but it feels more like Hollywood regurgitation. Of course maybe I am just too jaded and cynical these days.
A movie doing well (because of, in part, a soundtrack) "back then" implies a doing well at the box office. Artistry has nothing to do with doing well or not doing well, though it might have something to do with it being a good or bad movie. Completely different topics.

I blame the 2 hour and 43 minute run time.

Can't wait to rent it, though!

Err...tailor that

Is it really that hard to find 3 hours of the day to enjoy a movie? It's well worth seeing in the theater!

May want to tell people to not going in expecting a movie, more so 3 hours of watching a guy walk around

Padding? Really? The pacing was slower - like the original - and is the style of the movie. It's not padding, it's adding depth. It's hard to think of the last movie i've seen with such detail to character development of basically every character with any screen time.

I guess if anyone's going, wanting to see an action movie, they'll be disappointed. If they saw the original they will know what to expect.

The original did not have Harrison Ford doing long slow walks repeatedly, it was getting just absurd the number of times K was doing a long walk with nothing really happening. It was very very disappointing, the music was done very well and added to the atmosphere but the scenery was much brighter than the first and really lacked the constant rain and felt more like Deus Ex than Blade runner. Not to mention that they could have cut a large chunk of the long walks out and added to the plot a bit more rather than requiring a sequel to answer a LOT of the story that was very predictable. It really lacked any sort of detective element to it, where the original had the investigation, and sense of danger for the protagonist along with how desperate replicants were to survive.

I walked away so disappointed, my GF flat out said it sucked which was a bit harsher than how I viewed it, but it really ended up like Arrival, all hype with one boring long drawn out task alluding to all this amazing potential but never actually delivering on it.

The YouTube short films were awesome and drew me in, NONE of that type of character, story development exist in the film. Bautistas character risking everything to defend a little girl from thugs, or Wallace showing how improved and obedient his replicants are gave far more insight into the world than the long walks in empty spaces.

This is coming from someone that really enjoyed the original as a detective style movie that I bought the VHS, DVD and then DVD box set. I mean Gosling didn't even sit down and have a Scotch and do a lot of leg work, chugging vodka and instantly making discoveries really took away from the feeling of the old, not to mention how much nicer his apartment was vs Deckards and lacked that dark work is life vibe.

Denis Villeneuve really isn't good

The long walks were used as a way to set the atmosphere and mood of the various locations. I enjoyed it.

The long walks were used as a way to set the atmosphere and mood of the various locations. I enjoyed it.

I understand that but they went far overboard, you don't need to show them actually walking down 10 flights of stairs to show it's a long walk down, that time could have been used to include the awesomeness of the short films they released.

If anyone saw those the movie is nothing like the short films, which I found extremely well done and showed a lot more of the world than Goslings long pondering walks. I'm still pretty miffed by it, I was looking forward to this film far more than anything else in the past few years.

Err...tailor that

May want to tell people to not going in expecting a movie, more so 3 hours of watching a guy walk around

The original did not have Harrison Ford doing long slow walks repeatedly, it was getting just absurd the number of times K was doing a long walk with nothing really happening. It was very very disappointing, the music was done very well and added to the atmosphere but the scenery was much brighter than the first and really lacked the constant rain and felt more like Deus Ex than Blade runner. Not to mention that they could have cut a large chunk of the long walks out and added to the plot a bit more rather than requiring a sequel to answer a LOT of the story that was very predictable. It really lacked any sort of detective element to it, where the original had the investigation, and sense of danger for the protagonist along with how desperate replicants were to survive.

I walked away so disappointed, my GF flat out said it sucked which was a bit harsher than how I viewed it, but it really ended up like Arrival, all hype with one boring long drawn out task alluding to all this amazing potential but never actually delivering on it.

The YouTube short films were awesome and drew me in, NONE of that type of character, story development exist in the film. Bautistas character risking everything to defend a little girl from thugs, or Wallace showing how improved and obedient his replicants are gave far more insight into the world than the long walks in empty spaces.

This is coming from someone that really enjoyed the original as a detective style movie that I bought the VHS, DVD and then DVD box set. I mean Gosling didn't even sit down and have a Scotch and do a lot of leg work, chugging vodka and instantly making discoveries really took away from the feeling of the old, not to mention how much nicer his apartment was vs Deckards and lacked that dark work is life vibe.

Denis Villeneuve really isn't good

You can't expect the exact same atmospheric conditions 40 years later, especially, since this took place in a lot more places and arguably constant rain in L.A. is unrealistic (unless this is taking place hundreds, if not thousands of years from now. I agree on the long walks. Some of it was OK, but several went on too long.

That said, you lost me with Arrival. That movie was brilliant. I felt there was detective work in this flick. And honestly,
I thought he was the offspring until he was told he wasn't

I don't think what the character drinks is relevant. If you do, then watch the original. To expect a different character to be Decker makes no sense and is the type of thinking that gives us cookie cutter sequels.

All that said, i don't think this movie is as good as the original, but to be honest, I don't recall thinking the original was good the first time around either. Some movies get better with age (like the Scotch you wish K was driking ;) )

You can't expect the exact same atmospheric conditions 40 years later, especially, since this took place in a lot more places and arguably constant rain in L.A. is unrealistic (unless this is taking place hundreds, if not thousands of years from now. I agree on the long walks. Some of it was OK, but several went on too long.

That said, you lost me with Arrival. That movie was brilliant. I felt there was detective work in this flick.

I don't think what the character drinks is relevant. If you do, then watch the original. To expect a different character to be Decker makes no sense and is the type of thinking that gives us cookie cutter sequels.

All that said, i don't think this movie is as good as the original, but to be honest, I don't recall thinking the original was good the first time around either. Some movies get better with age (like the Scotch you wish K was driking ;) )

Maybe not same atmospheric conditions but it seemed a lot brighter all around. Entire film seemed brighter, again referencing the original even the retirements made you uncomfortable with both possible outcomes, the middle of the street scene was pretty :(

Hah well yes his drink choice isn't that important, but it was more a where's the "Long day, I need to relax and figure out this mystery here's my evidence" type vibe missing, he just seemed to know or get really lucky. The reason I wanted him to act differently was because of said spoiler, without that happening I caught on right away :|

Arrival I use as an example because people either loved it or hated it, but it follows the same sort of film style, where there really isn't any action or complex mystery etc. I didn't like it because it really was a film about learning to decipher a language and no real plot twist or really anything somewhat exciting except the opening where it's a mystery. Would be like a Star Wars movie purely filmed around Jedi training only with no antagonist.

Decided to watch the original movie right before I went to watch the new one in the theater, and I was really surprised by how they kept the same tone of the first movie in the new one. I really liked the sequel and I didn't notice how long the movie actually was, so I suppose I had a really good time. I guess the only thing I wasn't wasn't really working for me was Jared Leto's character as he usually ends up overdoing his acting.
I did exactly the same (by original I hope you mean the final cut ;) )
What I really liked about it how the start followed a similar playbook to the other and then it went its own direction, which was good. Likewise the continuity of the universe was appropriate.

I preferred the original soundtrack ... (vangelis is <3) and while I would say going for a completely different style would have ruined the atmosphere... it wasn't as good.
The whole "child saviour" was too much. The beauty of bladerunner was it was just another fucked up week/month in LA-2019. I am glad they did not spin this into some kind of uprising & I really hope they don't make a sequal along that route.
The entire "is he, isn't he, is he, isn't he" they Joe went through was good, especially considering the entire is Deckard a replicant is still not actually outright stated in the film. It however was again a film about someone not someone in a situation like the 1st

Saw the movie (meaning this second installation) and wasn't impressed, just too fucking long in between anything going on, long scenes of the vehicles flying over wastelands and mega-cities and other bullshit, bad acting with no emotional content to convey to the viewer, slow rolling things, the audio portion was just fucking dreadful IMO and aside from the music played from the past (the jazz stuff, Frank Sinatra, the Elvis bit, etc) the rest of it was just "WTF is this crap..."

A sequel to a cult classic... what did anyone expect? Its a film for the people who liked the original one.
If you redo other cult classics you'll have the same result.

Right, you have a movie that barely made it's money back the first time, and then you have a movie that will barely make it's money back the seconds time.

This movie is definitely made for a small portion of audience and I am glad it's as well received as it is. Unfortunately the box office only wants to see record breaking numbers, so we'll continue to get shitty oversold action flicks and comedies.

So who's ready for Boo 2! A Madea Halloween?

We have a thread in GenMay. Maybe you should support the forum with a one-time $15 account upgrade. Just a thought, since you've been here since 2005 according to your profile.

https://hardforum.com/threads/rutger-hauer-has-died.1984496
A slightly shitty attitude to have. I don’t have the account upgrade but I do give support via Patreon. Not to say you’re wrong, just throwing it out there that there is support in other forms.

A slightly shitty attitude to have. I don’t have the account upgrade but I do give support via Patreon. Not to say you’re wrong, just throwing it out there that there is support in other forms.

Opposed to digging up a 2ish year old thread to post something completely non-related to it? Personally I feel that's more of a dick move but to each their own.

whelp time to go scrub some dead star trek voyager forums from 2002 i guess- i hope everyone including myself who responded to this giant waste of necromancy gets their entire country ip banned for life
upload_2019-7-24_16-39-1.png

I think it was intended as an invitation to and reminder of the GenMay crew more so than an insult. Wouldn't want to put words in Armenius' mouth, but I'd imagine that's the case. I could be wrong- it happens. Though, IIRC, the last time I was wrong was back in the Year of Our Lord Nineteen-Hundred and Ninety-Nine.

Might I ask why you go that route as opposed to the other? Feel free not to answer, I'm just curious.

Thanks for the necro never posted in the original thread to say that this movie sucked as much ass as an industrial vacuum cleaner.

Damn, that sucks!
He was in the 2017 cyberpunk game, >observer_

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_(video_game)

maxresdefault.jpg

Well... shit.
RIP man, you will be missed!

EDIT:

Ironically enough, he died in Blade Runner, set in 2019, and he died in real life in 2019.
He who lives by the cyberpunk, dies by the cyberpunk. :cool:

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fca-times.brightspotcdn.jpg

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time... to die..." --Roy Batty in 2019 (Rutger Hauer in 1982)

Last edited:
Back