BLACKROOM: A New FPS From Romero & Carmack

I saw Carmack and was like "he's back!", but then Adrian Carmack. Get John Carmack back to make the next best game engine.

And I'm tired of games that let the player spin around instantly. How about 20 years later they take the next step towards realism and give the player-character momentum, don't let them ADAD strafe instantly, don't let them swing their aimpoint around instantly?

No, thanks. There's a fine line between "realism" and controls which just feel laggy and shit. People used to defend Dead Space's awful controls because "you're wearing a heavy suit". I just found it annoying. I'd rather have "unrealistic and responsive" than "not actually realistic but pretending to be, and interfering with my attempts to play the game".

I watched the video for like 35 seconds, had the old Daikatana feel come over me, no thanks, been there and done that, but good luck with it. ;)

Blackroom - Yet Another FPS

Where has game originality gone?

Where's the MYST of 2016 ?

Not sure of all the hate here. Either many of you never grew up with these guys or you don't quite understand that essentially every aaa game you play has roots in their original projects. With the lack of unique fps games these days, other than cartoony console catering trash I'm happy to send 5 dollars in their direction in the hopes that they might come up with something unique and entertaining. Not all of us want to play recycled trash from todays big developers that are bitchin games out to cater to highschool kids that want an xbox for xmas.

Sounds to me like you are putting too much faith in Romero.

Not sure of all the hate here. Either many of you never grew up with these guys or you don't quite understand that essentially every aaa game you play has roots in their original projects. With the lack of unique fps games these days, other than cartoony console catering trash I'm happy to send 5 dollars in their direction in the hopes that they might come up with something unique and entertaining. Not all of us want to play recycled trash from todays big developers that are bitchin games out to cater to highschool kids that want an xbox for xmas.

You don't know, but you claim that those of us who are jaded didn't grow up with these guys? Read up on Romero. He honestly has not been a successful developer, hopping from company to company and finishing very few games. Most of his CV is unfinished ports and games. He was forced to resign from Id. This isn't the kind of guy you back.

Not only do I not believe that these guys have what takes to make a good and relevant shooter that can hold to today's standards

What fucking standards? Today's games kind of suck. (Try) push the graphics (port), push the price, to hell with the story, just give it some multiplayer, DLC, and it'll be all good. Make more money than the spin mop! Repeat.

"Today's standards" to me, means Doom/Quake 1, Deus Ex 1, type of stuff.

:cool:

i'm not sold. I don't have much confidence it'll amount to anything other then another half assed attempt that falls short.

Here's some advice for Romero et al... Call of Duty runs off the quake engine (i'm led to believe) and it was an absolute smash because it brought different "physics" into FPS games at the exact time it was needed. i.e. no quake style, no halo style old school fps movement mechanics. They (the COD dev's) also shat in their own nest by losing the plot and not making it full old school PC-mod-ness heaven and putting copious amounts of bugs and flaws in the network code that ruined what good gameplay they had after CoD4.

So just "borrow" that game "physics" and make it have all those things he said (like full mod support, made for PC and then tweaked for 'soles. actual numbers in the latency bars that depict REAL latency.. etc etc). Just fix the bugs and you'll have a smash hit game! I know some may not like this idea as COD often gets shit on by people.. but honestly.. it has a great core gameplay and its a shame for it to go to waste by the dev's thinking they have to create a new engine each release! NO! We love the game coz the game rules.. just fix the bugs and add MUCH more cool shit around it!!

I dunno I just found this lacking in so much. So I'm out until steam Christmas sale 2019 or an interesting trailer comes around.

No, thanks. There's a fine line between "realism" and controls which just feel laggy and shit. People used to defend Dead Space's awful controls because "you're wearing a heavy suit". I just found it annoying. I'd rather have "unrealistic and responsive" than "not actually realistic but pretending to be, and interfering with my attempts to play the game".

That's cool, but there's already a million games out there doing what you like. As I asked before, what makes this game better than any of them? They should do something unique or push the genre forwards rather than re-hash the same game that's been done over and over for 20 years.

I do think both of these guys want to Redeem themselves so it really could be good. I don't think it's for the money if they been talking to the FPS crowd maybe they actually listen.

Please, I've been playing games since WELL before wolfenstein 3d came out. Heck, I have been playing computer games since I had to type them in from magazines/books into a crappy 8088 cpu running machine with a teensy green screen.

Doom was cool. But id started it's slide into tech demos rather than actual games pretty quickly. And the art direction was one of the things that got tired as shit REALLY early on to the point me and all my friends were like... hmm, hope raven uses the engine to do something good with it with pretty much every version.

Half-life put the final nail in that coffin, and doom 3 was just sub par and half assed. Rail shooter levels you could watch the baddies teleport into existence was just WAY below the industry standard.

If you EVER played daikatana, you'd realize that Romero was no longer any good at what he says he is, if he ever was. At best he moved from decent at doing something that was a scarce commodity to being sub par now that there are a lot more people doing it and doing it well.

Neither has a track record of being able to get shit done on time and within budget. Not even a little bit.

They have passed 111,000 (one seventh of the money that they are requesting with less than 2,000 backers.

Did you watch the video? Wow, I couldn't even finish it. Sounds lame as hell...

h42LeSR.png

Back