BLACKROOM: A New FPS From Romero & Carmack

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like this Kickstarter for BLACKROOM is what John Romero and Adrian Carmack were hinting at last week with that odd Star Wars style teaser trailer. The gang is trying to raise $700,000 and it looks like they are off to a decent start. Here's the Kickstarter trailer:

John Romero and fellow id Software co-founder Adrian Carmack proudly announce BLACKROOM™, a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat. Use fast, skillful movement to dodge enemy attacks, circle-strafe your foes, and rule the air as you rocket jump in the single- and multiplayer modes.

Wow, this sounds like a directionless piece of shit. Is it pronounced HOAX-ARE? He'll make all the artz! He'll make all the levelz! IT"L BE METAL!!! We'll take your money and run and leave you with a design doc saying "make any level you want with no engine restrictions, and it can look like anything, this will unleash our complete creative freedom!!!"

Run, run away now, do not deposit funds, do not consider rewards. Just run.

Fuck this. Are you sure this isn't BlackRoom Episode 1. (their story sounds like Half-Life).

Kick starter? Forget it. At least Romero looks respectable, not a slob.

Actually sounds like a good concept.

Question is... can they actually pull it off? These guys honed their skills making crappy-to-semidecent magazine games. DOOM was a personal project that grew out of that hard work. Carmack's programming skills were top notch. Romero used abstract tech-horror level designs to highlight the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of the game engine. Games need more of a driving force behind them than a desire to make more money, and the work these guys have done since DOOM really isn't all that inspiring.

Reactions: raz-0
like this
What are the odds this results in a reunion of the original id founders? I mean, it only makes sense that a game built on VR gone bad, would also support VR.

In fairness, including Tom Hall would be a bit of a long shot, but it would be cool to see all of those guys working on a project together again.

In fairness, including Tom Hall would be a bit of a long shot, but it would be cool to see all of those guys working on a project together again.

Those guys were really at odds with each other when they split up. Probably not going to happen.

nobody remembers Daiktana? Without Carmack Romero is lost.

nobody remembers Daiktana? Without Carmack Romero is lost.

This. Daikatana was an overdue turd. And I'm tired of games that let the player spin around instantly. How about 20 years later they take the next step towards realism and give the player-character momentum, don't let them ADAD strafe instantly, don't let them swing their aimpoint around instantly? If they plan to make another Quake clone, that's cool, but what makes their game better than the 20 years of imitations we already have?

He has had 20 years to become the Gaming God he wants us to believe in. Honestly, I expected Kickstarter out of him much sooner than this, but, I did expect it.

I'll pass.

On another note, I drive pass 'Kill Creek' fairly often leaving Lawrence, Kansas to come home to KC for those of you that know his history.

LOL. Who paints while wearing a black leather jacket?

Also, kickstarter? No thanks. Make a decent game and it will sell itself. Dont tell me these guys cant afford it.

One does not become rich by using ones own money.

At least, I think that's my reason for not being rich.

Also, very convenient to base a game around glitches, so no-one can blame bad programming this time around :D

oh yes, the Carmack I mentioned wasn't John in my post above. J. Romero has proven he can't do shit without J. Carmack.

The last bit reversed says "To get Blackroom, you must fund the Kickstart Campaign, by John Romero"

420 man

...geezus these guys are old LOL... still, it'll be interesting to watch this, ya never know...

If you think about it, since they are using Unreal Engine 4, it's almost like John Carmack has been replaced with Tim Sweeney (he's not on the dev team, but the engine is his). Also, really weird to see co-founders of id Software using an engine from their one-time rivals Epic MegaGames (or "Epic Games" as they are called these days, though I prefer to use the old name).

I'd have rather they used the crysis engine and turned up the eye candy to full.

Wait, wait...

Are you saying that two of the most known game-related professionals can't afford or get money from "standard" sources? Yeah right. Middle finger for them.

The point of crowd-funding is not for people to do shit without risk... it is for people that can't afford to do shit to try. But this people? $700.000 should be easy for them, or easy to get it financed. Of course, it is a lot better if people pay you upfrond something you have no requeriment to ever properly deliver... but this is precisely what Kickstarter should not be used for.

Fuck them, and fuck its crowdfunding campaign.

Having Dokken guitarist George Lynch supplying music is a great designer decision. Romero with his long hair always struck me as a metalhead.

Are you sure this isn't BlackRoom Episode 1. (their story sounds like Half-Life).

Kick starter? Forget it.

At least Santiago Sonora is indistinguishable from Gordon Freeman.

Breaking news, Black Room changed to Black Room 3, breaks internet.

To be honest, I wouldn't even give him money as an investment, let alone throwing it away. That's like giving Richard Garriott money. They're both one-trick ponies in my book.

Not only do I not believe that these guys have what takes to make a good and relevant shooter that can hold to today's standards I don't think they could manage $700K appropriately even if they could make a good game.
These guys haven't done anything of any relevance since the mid 90s and there's a reason for that; How anyone could trust Romero to make responsible financial decisions given his past is beyond me.

Not only do I not believe that these guys have what takes to make a good and relevant shooter that can hold to today's standards I don't think they could manage $700K appropriately even if they could make a good game.
These guys haven't done anything of any relevance since the mid 90s and there's a reason for that; How anyone could trust Romero to make responsible financial decisions given his past is beyond me.

It's pretty much like giving Brad McQuaid another pile of money to make another everquest after his vanguard debac....owait, he already tried that.

So the main character looks like Gordon Freeman in an FPS shooter. Hmm, where have I seen this before. If I can't only remember... Oh so close, on the tip of my tongue.

Looks like a decent concept for a FPS but the campaign probably will end up being uninspired, boring and most likely a turd. Not sure $700k or even a few million will be enough to make this game great because it sounds a bit too ambitious. Wouldn't be surprised if this project gets cancelled or drags on for years with no end in sight.

Not sure of all the hate here. Either many of you never grew up with these guys or you don't quite understand that essentially every aaa game you play has roots in their original projects. With the lack of unique fps games these days, other than cartoony console catering trash I'm happy to send 5 dollars in their direction in the hopes that they might come up with something unique and entertaining. Not all of us want to play recycled trash from todays big developers that are bitchin games out to cater to highschool kids that want an xbox for xmas.

They acknowledge in their video that $700,000 isn't enough to make the game. They say something like, 'if the Kickstarter is successful we will secure other funding'. They are just using the funds to get started so they can have a working prototype to show to publishers. Plus they would have a built in fan-base to 'prove' there is a market for the game.

If you think about it, since they are using Unreal Engine 4, it's almost like John Carmack has been replaced with Tim Sweeney (he's not on the dev team, but the engine is his). Also, really weird to see co-founders of id Software using an engine from their one-time rivals Epic MegaGames (or "Epic Games" as they are called these days, though I prefer to use the old name).

Not surprising at all since Adrian is the art guy and Romero is the level guy, neither of them can code an engine. What would have surprised me is if they had used the Source engine.

Kickstarters with absolutely zero game play to show off just are not going to work anymore.

They acknowledge in their video that $700,000 isn't enough to make the game. They say something like, 'if the Kickstarter is successful we will secure other funding'. They are just using the funds to get started so they can have a working prototype to show to publishers. Plus they would have a built in fan-base to 'prove' there is a market for the game.

I didn't say anything about $700K not being enough to make a game I said Romero can't be trusted to responsibly manage that amount of money, Quadrupling that amount would just make it that much worse.

Again, if these guys had what it takes to make good games on their own they wouldn't have been left in the dust by everyone else at id who have gone on to have successful careers in the industry. There is a reason no one wants these guys on their team.

I'd total back a John Romero sim game, walking around towns like a black-haired Witcher making people his bitch with his supperior deathmatch skillz in Adrian's art-ed-up environments, the cheesy 80s George Lynch topping it all off

Back