blackra1n released

What sort of apps would be beneficial to me? I see what you're saying, and I'm sorry I can't do a whole lot of research on it right now.

Here are a few apps that I think makes jailbreaking well worth it

PDAnet (Free wifi tethering if you are above 3.1 if not then there are better ways to tether)
Backgrounder, allows you to run apps in the background
QuickSMS have not tried this yet since its like 3 bucks but it looks pretty sick and I am probably going to pick it up.
SNES, NES and Gameboy emulators
Winterboard, custom themes/lockscreens and docks

I don't want to hijack, but don't think I should start another thread since I see all of you jailbreakers here in this thread.

What can jailbreaking give me? What is bad about it? It's my phone so I'm allowed to do with it as I wish, right? How about warranty? etc.

I'm at work right now so I can't exactly browse a ton of things for info.

Thanks

Well, my phone is sync'd with an exchange account which handles 5 calendars, I use intelliscreen and it shows all my upcoming events on the lockscreen in the order they come up, I can tap it for more info such as location etc. Also have a birthdays calendar so I never miss one, makes some people really happy.

I edit cal. in ical or google and it immediately changes on lockscreen, less than 2 seconds, pretty cool

So I have the 3GS 3.1.2 which I jailbroke yesterday. Well I downloaded the following apps: Backgrounder, SBSSettings, BossPaper, Winterboard, MXTube, iRealQuickSMS, and Cydia.

My battery drained like crazy today. I usually have about 40-30% left when I get home at about 5pm, today I looked at the phone as I was pulling up and it said 12%. Anyone else have this experience? I'm thinking of restoring and sticking with stock iPhone.

Blackra1n gives the option to install Rock and Icy. I've heard that Icy can cause problems but is Rock okay to use?

Here are a few apps that I think makes jailbreaking well worth it

PDAnet (Free wifi tethering if you are above 3.1 if not then there are better ways to tether)
Backgrounder, allows you to run apps in the background
QuickSMS have not tried this yet since its like 3 bucks but it looks pretty sick and I am probably going to pick it up.
SNES, NES and Gameboy emulators
Winterboard, custom themes/lockscreens and docks

I love Music Control which allows you to background and control Pandora and other streaming radio just like you can with the built-in iPod app.

I also love Backgrounder (before Music Control) to background Pandora. It's also good for IM apps.

I don't do themes, however. I should check out the SNES/Gameboy emus. I need to find out how to put games in there.

The real question is if these guys can figure out the new 3GS's.. will be interesting to see.

I love Music Control which allows you to background and control Pandora and other streaming radio just like you can with the built-in iPod app.

I also love Backgrounder (before Music Control) to background Pandora. It's also good for IM apps.

I don't do themes, however. I should check out the SNES/Gameboy emus. I need to find out how to put games in there.

I have a lock screen slider with winterboard but thats it. I keep the theme normal.

Its pretty sick

4004202072_326d58a42c.jpg

I remember reading something about an app you can use when jailbroken that gives you free text messaging? Anyone know how it works? Can you just use your regular phone # still?

I remember reading something about an app you can use when jailbroken that gives you free text messaging? Anyone know how it works? Can you just use your regular phone # still?
Damn, I'd jump on that one. Never heard of it, though.

I tried it but it didn't work on my 3GS 3.1.

Ah ok. :)

Well I can't get my Iphone 3G to jailbreak with blackra1n. :(

I tried using this last night and it never worked. Did you guys already have a jailbreak on your phone? I was broke on 3.0 with redsn0w. Did update to 3.1.2 through itunes.

Blackra1n never worked. Tried it numerous times on xp and vista computers. Always got to the dfu screen (shows itunes logo and usb cable) and just sat there. Wondering if I need to do a complete restore and wipe it out and try it then. I REALLY dont want to since I did that when i moved to 3.0 but its either that or try to downgrade back to 3.0 or wait for another jailbreak (supposedly redsn0w should come out for it)

Any ideas?

I tried it about 8 times yesterday and had the same result as you every time. Never had a problem with the dev teams JBing apps so I'll wait for them to release theirs.

I can't seem to get blackra1n to work.

http://wickmanstudios.com/content/view/26/1/

it worked for me after an hour or so of fooling around with them. When I had to do was start blackra1n without my phone connected. Connect phone hold power and home buttons. As soon as the logo appears for recovery mode release the power button, then hold the home button until the blackra1n logo appeared on my phone.

is blackra1n any better/easier to use than the other JB apps out there?

I need to JB a 2G iPhone before selling.

Thanks for any advice!

blackra1n is pretty foolproof. it's also the only one that will unlock an iphone on 3.1.2

quickpwn will jailbreak but not unlock 3.1.2. you create a custom ispw and restore the phone (with the ability to cook in your own apps)

if you're just looking for a quick jailbreak, just use blackra1n

Are there any risks of ToS violation if you tether your iPhone? PDAnet looks pretty slick, I haven't Jailbroken my own phone but have done it before.

I love my iPhone again... I love blackra1n, too!!!!! :) :) :)

When i start iTunes, I keep getting a message asking if I want my carrier settings updated. Should I do it or will my JB be screwed up?

i believe that is for the baseband if your on at&t go for it if not i think blacksn0w has the latest base band unlocked so i would check and make sure first tho...

man I got lucky.. the wife and I went into the ATT store this weekend to get matching iphone 3GS 16G phones and at the last minute I decided to get the 32G one.. the phone she got was brand new with 3.1.2 fw and had the new bootrom which prevents the "24kpwn" exploit.. but mine was the older version so I don't have to deal with having a tethered jailbreak.. thank goodness. I am guessing they sell a lot less 32G phones to that one had been there for a while..

BTW, blackra1n is by far the easiest JB I have ever done.. I was like "wtf, that's it??" lol.. pretty nice.

Last edited:
Yeah jailbroke my phone and my wifes old 2G for her sister this weekend. I have to say that Blackra1n was a hell of a lot easier than jailbreaking the 2G with 3.1 on it. Now just to wait for the fabled $99 holiday iPhone 3GS to upgrade mine.

Quick question, which Backgrounder do you use? i see a 2.x and 3.x version, are these relevant to OS or 2G/3G?

os 3.x is for the latest os 2.x is if you havent upgraded in a long time...

Yeah jailbroke my phone and my wifes old 2G for her sister this weekend. I have to say that Blackra1n was a hell of a lot easier than jailbreaking the 2G with 3.1 on it. Now just to wait for the fabled $99 holiday iPhone 3GS to upgrade mine.
[snip]

Just a note, the new $99 3GS will no doubt have the updated bootrom which means only a tethered jb until they figure out a new exploit..

Just a note, the new $99 3GS will no doubt have the updated bootrom which means only a tethered jb until they figure out a new exploit..

Oh yeah I fully expected that... But the tethering right now is not that big of a concern, now a year or two ago would have been nice when the wife and I were traveling back and forth for wedding planning and could have used it during the car ride. But oh well....... I know that the $99 iPhone 3GS was just a rumor, but has anyone heard anything more on it?

when I say tethered jb I mean, when you reboot the phone you have to hook it to a computer with the jb software again, to "inject" the exploit so it will boot up... kind of a hassle but I have lived with it before once.. anyhoozle.. I have read about the $99 iphone 3GS in quite a few places but nothing has confirmed it.. but you would think apple will want to lure people to them this holiday season with that now that there are some other devices in the iphone's class to choose from.. guessing we might hear more about this next week at BF approaches.

Blackra1n is easier if you are just jailbreaking past OS 3.1, pre3.1 you can get other apps and processes that are much easier to JB and Unlock... Remember there is a difference

Back