blackra1n released

I saw it earlier but since 3.1 broke tethering, looks like I'm sticking with 3.0.1. :D

Just installed it... all I had to do was to click a button and wait. :D Props to geohot!!!!! Fastest and easiest jailbreak of all times :D

I saw it earlier but since 3.1 broke tethering, looks like I'm sticking with 3.0.1. :D

I jailbroke with blackrain today and am using PDAnet to tether via wifi its awesome. You can also tether with USB on a windows computer too if you wanted to but I like doing it over wifi so you dont need it plugged in.

I love my iPhone again... I love blackra1n, too!!!!! :) :) :)

When i start iTunes, I keep getting a message asking if I want my carrier settings updated. Should I do it or will my JB be screwed up?

I love my iPhone again... I love blackra1n, too!!!!! :) :) :)

When i start iTunes, I keep getting a message asking if I want my carrier settings updated. Should I do it or will my JB be screwed up?

Should be fine if you update them

Warning: DOES NOT HACKTIVATE.

Don't upgrade if you're on a non-ATT 2G.

Afaik this requires you to install the stock os first, correct? In which case this is NOT for anyone who has a 3g(s) and needs to have their phones unlocked.

It worked on my 3GS that's running 3.1. I had to run blackra1n twice, but it definitely worked. :p

Please note that if you have already upgrade to 3.1 or later you CANNOT tether your phones internet connection to another device. PDAnet and other like applications will simply fail. (You can use your phone as a router for WiFI, but not tether).

Have you ever used PDAnet? Its pretty simple.

PDANet was nice before the built-in tethering trick was found but it's simply not as good. I can tether over bluetooth with just one click on my laptop. I haven't seen the need to upgrade anyway personally but at least blackra1n makes it easy.

Can't wait for ch0c0latera1n. :D

PDANet was nice before the built-in tethering trick was found but it's simply not as good. I can tether over bluetooth with just one click on my laptop. I haven't seen the need to upgrade anyway personally but at least blackra1n makes it easy.

on 3.2.1? How? :eek:

on 3.2.1? How? :eek:

You can't use the iPhone's native tethering on anything higher than FW 3.0.1 since 3.1 essentially killed that. I was replying to someone that mentioned upgrading the phone and using PDANet instead. Sorry if it wasn't clear. :cool:

You can't use the iPhone's native tethering on anything higher than FW 3.0.1 since 3.1 essentially killed that. I was replying to someone that mentioned upgrading the phone and using PDANet instead. Sorry if it wasn't clear. :cool:

Ah ok. :)

Well I can't get my Iphone 3G to jailbreak with blackra1n. :(

Never mind. The carrier update messed it up. Works now without it. :)

EDIT: On PDA net..
Download Speed: 1550 kbps (193.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 303 kbps (37.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

not bad.

Last edited:
I tried using this last night and it never worked. Did you guys already have a jailbreak on your phone? I was broke on 3.0 with redsn0w. Did update to 3.1.2 through itunes.

Blackra1n never worked. Tried it numerous times on xp and vista computers. Always got to the dfu screen (shows itunes logo and usb cable) and just sat there. Wondering if I need to do a complete restore and wipe it out and try it then. I REALLY dont want to since I did that when i moved to 3.0 but its either that or try to downgrade back to 3.0 or wait for another jailbreak (supposedly redsn0w should come out for it)

Any ideas?

I was jailbroke on 3.0 but I was on official 3.1.2 when I used blackrain yesterday and it worked first try. Keep trying it has taken some people a lot of tries.

Ahh I see its not worth it then :) PDA net works awesome though for anyone wanting to tethering on 3.1.2

I tried using this last night and it never worked. Did you guys already have a jailbreak on your phone? I was broke on 3.0 with redsn0w. Did update to 3.1.2 through itunes.

Blackra1n never worked. Tried it numerous times on xp and vista computers. Always got to the dfu screen (shows itunes logo and usb cable) and just sat there. Wondering if I need to do a complete restore and wipe it out and try it then. I REALLY dont want to since I did that when i moved to 3.0 but its either that or try to downgrade back to 3.0 or wait for another jailbreak (supposedly redsn0w should come out for it)

Any ideas?

I tried it about 8 times yesterday and had the same result as you every time. Never had a problem with the dev teams JBing apps so I'll wait for them to release theirs.

IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIGURE OUT:

before I get into writing it all up: iPhone 3g, using windows xp pro sp3

had the same problem DFU mode stuck over and over, what eventually worked was going into properties and checkmarking/uncheckmarking "block/allow program" in the main tab when going into the properties of the file, good luck!

I like MyWi for tethering, since it emulates a wifi access point (like WiFiRouter does on WinMobile). However, you need to have other libraries installed from Rock. I think it's worth it though.

i want an iphone =( lol

Crap, I just noticed. I hope they update it because I really like the fact that you don't have to create an ad hoc for it to work. Just connect to your iPhone as if it was a WiFi hotspot.

I don't want to hijack, but don't think I should start another thread since I see all of you jailbreakers here in this thread.

What can jailbreaking give me? What is bad about it? It's my phone so I'm allowed to do with it as I wish, right? How about warranty? etc.

I'm at work right now so I can't exactly browse a ton of things for info.

Thanks

jail breaking gives you access to more apps (apps apple wouldnt allow in the app store)

It does not void your warranty, but if you ever need to send in or take your hone in to be looked at you would want to restore it to its non jailbroken state before hand.

jail breaking gives you access to more apps (apps apple wouldnt allow in the app store)

It does not void your warranty, but if you ever need to send in or take your hone in to be looked at you would want to restore it to its non jailbroken state before hand.

What sort of apps would be beneficial to me? I see what you're saying, and I'm sorry I can't do a whole lot of research on it right now.

What sort of apps would be beneficial to me? I see what you're saying, and I'm sorry I can't do a whole lot of research on it right now.

you are the only person that can answer that. I can dio with or without jailbreaking my phone. I normally wind up restoring my phone after a few months of it being jailbroken, I havent found anything in a jailbrolken phone that I cant live without yet.

FYi, PwnageTool has been updated and supports 3.1.2:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Sort of related since it can JB as well. Also, if you used BR, it can accept the custom IPSW this generates. So if you're having any issues with BlackRa1n, just install over it with an image using PT. :) Or if BR doesn't work, supposedly this can JB too.

I'm personally still on 3.0 myself.

Back