Blackberry Seeks Injunction on Facebook For Patent Infringement

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Variety is reporting that Blackberry has sued Facebook, as well as it's Instagram and WhatsApp subsidiaries claiming that they co-opted Blackberry's mobile-messaging technology. Blackberry alleges that Facebook and its companies created mobile-messaging applications infringe on BlackBerry patents covering security, user interface features, battery-efficient status updates, and integrating mobile messaging in games. Blackberry is seeking an injunction that would effectively force Facebook to shut down all applications and websites, as well as unspecified monetary damages.

While I can't give an opinion on the strength of the suit having seen none of the evidence, I would love to see the injunction happen just to see how many people would break down. The lawsuit claims that Facebook's apps infringe on seven patents, U.S. Patent Nos. 7,372,961; 8,279,173; 8,209,634; 8,301,713; 8,429,236; 8,677,250; and 9,349,120, if someone wants to look them up.

In a statement, BlackBerry said, “As a cybersecurity and embedded software leader, BlackBerry’s view is that Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp could make great partners in our drive toward a securely connected future, and we continue to hold this door open to them. However, we have a strong claim that Facebook has infringed on our intellectual property, and after several years of dialogue, we also have an obligation to our shareholders to pursue appropriate legal remedies.”

If you can't beat them in the marketplace, SUE THEM IN THE COURTS!

Blackberry have had BBM as a messenger longer than anyone in the mobile phone business. I know it's easy to make uneducated snap judgements, but in this case it may be wise to wait and see what the findings are before we jump to conclusions on this lawsuit. Since people are piling in Blackberry already here is a summary of the patents:

System and method for silencing notifications for a message thread

Transmission of status updates responsive to status of recipient application

Handheld electronic device and associated method providing time data in a messaging environment

Previewing a new event on a small screen device

User interface for selecting a photo tag

Method of public key generation

Blackberry have had BBM as a messenger longer than anyone in the mobile phone business. I know it's easy to make uneducated snap judgements, but in this case it may be wise to wait and see what the findings are before we jump to conclusions on this lawsuit. Since people are piling in Blackberry already here is a summary of the patents:

Handheld electronic device and associated method providing time data in a messaging environment

Isn't the point of the internet to make yourself look as ignorant and arrogant and idiotic as possible though?

My only qualm is that its been how many years that these applications have been around with messaging capabilities? Seems a bit fishy...of course acting immediately also usually seems fishy and knee jerk.

It’ll be a fun one to watch.

latest

Former leading tech company becomes groveling patent troll. Again.

Software patents ... Gotta love the concept. Scribble something complex on paper so that the patent clerk doesn't understand it and rubber-stamp your way into troll stardom.

Yep, Blackberry as a real company is dead, so unleash the patent attorneys and let the lawsuits fly.

I've had so many BB's from work, etc, I do miss that keyboard.

Oh, I didn't know they changed their name back to Lawsuits In Motion.

Back