Blackberry’s CEO Says the iPhone Is Old Hat

HardOCP News

[H] News
I was going to make fun of BlackBerry for trying to make fun of a rival phone maker but, to be honest, the guy has a point.

“History repeats itself again I guess ... the rate of innovation is so high in our industry that if you don’t innovate at that speed you can be replaced pretty quickly. The user interface on the iPhone, with all due respect for what this invention was all about is now five years old.”

I'm sure a lot of you've seen that survey from Jan 2013. That's a lot of kids, 500,000+ that said they thought the iPhone was getting boring and un-original. I'm sure at some point the iPhone will take on a new look.

Yeah, after reading the headline, I thought "so does that make BB 'Ancient Hat'?"

But after reading the quote, I agree. At least BB did their (much needed) total OS re-design with the Z10 and is trying to innovate. Though who knows if it's too little too late for them, only time will tell. One thing's for sure; Apple is slowly but surely loosing ground in the smart phone market. I don't think those record sales are going to continue if they don't overhaul iOS soon. But they can probably still milk it for a few years and keep high volume/profit sales going without changing anything if they want. It's still going to be a while before they're knocked from the pedestal even if they don't change anything.

I'll probably end up with a Z10 when we move back to BB at work. iPhones are officially unsupported, and our telcom admin is getting tired of supporting fragmented andriod software.

It seems like a decent work phone.

You people and your sophistimicated trillion colour class LCD screens, pfft. I'll stick with my one liner alpha-numeric only, non-capacitative, not resistive screened Motorola brick. The original, indestructible phone. Nokia got nothing on motorola's classic ground breakers.

motorola-first_cell_phone.jpg

FTW

I would have to agree. I played around with a iPhone 5 the other day and besides the notification bar (something Android has had since the beginning) nothing else I did on it was any different than how I use to do things when I owned the first iPhone or even when I owned a 3GS (my last Apple phone). Hell, even a good number of people I know think the iPhone, while a nice piece of hardware, has grown stagnant and old. If Apple wants to continue being one of the top dogs they have to do something different.

Other than that I think BlackBerry has taken a MAJOR leap forward as far as OS and design goes. If they can get the great apps and can get their name out there then they'll be fine.

Innovation? There are a few leaps in innovation here and there, but overall it's hash out as much of the same as possible with this industry. iPhone interface has changed how many times? 0-1? Yeah... The whole apple ui is outdated and aged, but I guess that just makes it better somehow?

Well the issue, as I see it, isn't that so little has changed on the iphone, it's that they continue to put the the same phone out, with a few minor tweaks, and expect the sheep to throw money at them and ignore the fact that it's missing many features that similarly priced andriod cellphones have had for a year or more.

I don't understand- if you put iphone, android and the new blackberry side by side they all look alike. The only phone OS that looks different is Windows 8.

Whoa- look at that innovative Blackberry OS- looks nothing like Android or Apple! ;) lmao
compareze.jpg

iPhone's os is one thing, but their hardware is as boring as the day is long. When I look at the display all I can think is welcome to 2010, and the phone is bulky for what it is too.

Exactly, the iPhone is so boring. The 5 just looks weird; Apple made it taller while keeping the same height. wtf? The droid razrs look pretty cool, as do the galaxy s series. Oh and the google nexus 4 looks pretty nice. and innovative. The sad thing is is that people keep paying money for iPhones when they really haven't innovated in a significant manner since the 3gs or 4.

Yeah iPhone is 5 years old, with 5 years of UI tweaks. BB should get to the same place... in 5 years if it still exists then. :p

[IM]http://imageshack.us/a/img685/4111/compareze.jpg[/IMG]
It looks to me like Samsung's really innovating on the radius of their rounded corners compared to Apple and RIM. They've both fallen grossly behind with respect to providing their customers with ample rounding.

that last iphone/exchange bug pushed me far enough to sell it off and switch to a note 2. I really like the additional features of the platform even if they all cost battery-life. I bought a pair of replacement batteries and if I do ever run it dry I can just swap batteries on the go. I honestly don't need all the pretty widgets and eye-tracking, but they are nice to have.

I own a Blackberry z10 I went from a iphone back to blackberry. So far I love this phone. Needs improvment but as all new phones they allways need improvment. I had the orginial iphone and when it came out nothing really worked. Took them years to fix email and exchange never worked proper. I got the z10 first day it came out here in canada and the email works great. Only missing one or two apps I had on iphone and I'm set. The UI in iphone is old and no they did not copy it. Once you start multitasking with 8 apps open and never have to hit a stupid home button you'll see why.

I always skip the S versions of iPhones. And after I got the iPhone 5 I said I won't get another iPhone again unless they basically completely overhaul the whole phone. I remember iPhones never even had a integrated camcorder until the 3GS (the 3rd one), you literally had to jailbreak it for camcorder functionality until the 3GS. If a iPhone came jailbroken from the factory and completely supported with iOS updates then it would/could be the best IMO.

That's really not giving the Android any credit, as you're just showing the App Drawer for Android, rather than a home screen with widgets. Show a home screen with a clock app, streaming music app, email, facebook, calendar, etc. and you'll be showing where Android differentiates itself from the rest of the pack.

iOS is gives nothing but the equivalent of the app drawer. Its UI is dated. Can't speak for BlackBerry, as I've yet to see one in the wild, and I haven't worked with the Windows Phone enough to get a good fell for what customization is there.

I lol'd when I read the title of this thread.

It's easy to call someone a name when they have your spot in the market. Rim/Blackberry got their balls kicked in when iPhone 3G came out. Period. They had an entire year to get their ass in gear once the original iPhone came out, but nooooo... they had to just sit on the enterprise market till it all but eroded away from underneath their feet.

Yea, Apple's hardware design is 'unchanged' much over the past 2 years, however, when side by side tests were done for longevity, camera picture quality, and speaker quality, the iphone edged out (just barely), its competitors at launch.

The key thing for me about Apple, isn't the iphone... its iOS and UI. It's baby simple to use, but robust enough to support enterprise apps (plus from the dev side, iOS customers pay more per app). My 2 year old (who's a lil behind his peers) was able to to learn how to use an ipad 2 within a few days of trying different things. (Full hand swipes, double finger swipes, 1 finger swipes, pointing etc). He totally gets the double clicking the home button brings up the bottom task bar.

My family isn't against Android, (or any other mobile os). We tried to convert him to a Nabi 2, but the interface doesn't make sense to him and he gets frustrated with it.

Anyways, I think competition is good. I hope Rim does deliver... but they'll never regain top share again. I think Android (by mass volume of devices alone) will reign, but I think iOS devices will be the new corporate style because of the limited design choices and not having to account for 50 different mobile phone hardware for apps etc.

I prefer not having the widgets on iOS. When I had an Android, the widgets were really cool at first, but then it reminded me of my first website I ever made, on Geocities, that just had a ton of animated GIFs. I realized how rediculous it was.

I can do everything I need (my needs) on iPhone and I prefer the very simple interface.

And yes I can easily access streaming and local music control, even from a locked screen.

My biggest complaint about Android though was how everything was stored out in the open on the SD card. I do feel a little safer if my iPhone gets stolen.

Regardless though the reason I switched to iPhone was due to our large iTunes library and Apple TV. That's where it shines.

I don't understand- if you put iphone, android and the new blackberry side by side they all look alike. The only phone OS that looks different is Windows 8.

Exactly, I don't see why so many people are making a big deal of the iOS UI when Android or Blackberry's are the same or worse.

Innovation? There are a few leaps in innovation here and there, but overall it's hash out as much of the same as possible with this industry. iPhone interface has changed how many times? 0-1? Yeah... The whole apple ui is outdated and aged, but I guess that just makes it better somehow?

As long as iOS has the best developer support and the iPhone hardware is excellent then I'm fine with it. The Windows UI was fundamentally unchanged for over a decade, but I think we're all ok with that.

This guy is assuming that these new "features" make Android and the new Blackberry phones "better" when they actually don't matter to the majority of phone users. As Apple has proven with its market dominance, it's all about perfecting the user experience and that largely falls into stability and ease-of-use.

Here's my observation coming from Android to an iPhone 5 (I had an Epic 4g, an HTC EVO and an S3 for a short time). My iPhone 5 is more responsive and stable than either of those phones (rooted or not). After wiping and reloading I've found that iCloud is easier and does a better sync/restore than Google. Battery life is better (screen-on time). The only feature I'm missing after jailbreak is Swype.

All of the tech stuff that power users love to talk about? It just doesn't matter to most people. I was a power user myself (rooted and modded all of my phones) and I don't miss the "features". I can't comment on the new Blackberry OS but Icecream and Cyanogen didn't do anything innovative with the OS that mattered day-to-day. Yes, I'm jailbroken and I admit that stock iOS is missing some key things (like notification toggles), but all it takes is a 5 minute jailbreak to bring it up-to-date.

Apple does need to innovate. They need another win like the first touch OS. But unless Blackberry did something I'm not aware of, the competition hasn't done it either.

I think most of you should reserve your judgement until you actually use the Z10 and not some crap demo unit.

Most of you are americans and this is an american site so none of you have had any hands on with the Z10 your launch is this week. Minus the few that have ordered out of country or from Ebay.

Been using the Z10 since Feb 12, and I was using an Iphone 5 at work previously. And unless you have other devices or have invested heavily into the Apple Eco system I wouldn't go back to an Iphone period.

i've used the 3 major phones out now. S3 vs Iphone 5 vs Z10

Interms of smoothness Both the Iphone and the Z10 have the stock S3 beat.

With the newest software update pushed to the Z10 is battery life is comparable to the Iphone 5 which I think has a slight lead on both.

For me Screen size is too small on the Iphone 5, Z10 I found better , S3 I liked it but not being able to use the phone with one hand is an issue for me.

No SD card or removable battery on the Iphone blows and both the S3 and the Z10 hold the lead here.

As a work phone the Z10 has both beat once with out bes server, Iphone still have alot of bugs in an enterprise environment and the Andriod platform is still to unsecure.

Both the S3 and the Iphone 5 win out for apps since both platforms have been around longer.

I also think RIM's ceo should shut his mouth its too soon for him to be saying anything considering their current state of the company. Yes the Z10 is a great product even more so that its a first gen device. They have alot of work to do to secure that 3rd spot behind Andriod and apple tho and it will takes years to do so. Its a good start nothing more nothing less right now.

The Z10 is pretty sweet, my wife has one (im still on my 9930).

The keyboard is the first touch screen phone keyboard that I find actually usable (the iPhones is a piece of shit). It can more or less predict your whole conversation word by word.

So far the battery life is good, seems to be on par or slightly beating my 9930.

The browsing on it is the best from a BlackBerry ever.

Back