BlackBerry 8900 - Curve replacement

Yeah, I heard mid-February. Awesome phone, but the lack of 3G is a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, it's baffling that RIM didn't equip the 8900 with 3G.

Eh, I think the main reason is the 3G radio is pretty big, which is why the Bold is as big as it is. To keep the Curve size of the device, they had to keep it out for now, until smaller 3G radios are built.

Eh, I think the main reason is the 3G radio is pretty big, which is why the Bold is as big as it is. To keep the Curve size of the device, they had to keep it out for now, until smaller 3G radios are built.

Nope. Not a chance.

The reason is, RIM doesn't expect much uber data usage on their phones. I mean, the main target audience, BUSINESS FOLK actually don't use it for anything other than BB Messenger pretty much and maybe checking company numbers *cough cough best buy where I work*

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/nokia-e71.jpg

Look there, 3g radio, thin as a razer 3g, and only a little taller than the 8900. Which is a fantastic phone btw, display is AMAZINGLY clear.

Nope. Not a chance.

The reason is, RIM doesn't expect much uber data usage on their phones. I mean, the main target audience, BUSINESS FOLK actually don't use it for anything other than BB Messenger pretty much and maybe checking company numbers *cough cough best buy where I work*

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/nokia-e71.jpg

Look there, 3g radio, thin as a razer 3g, and only a little taller than the 8900. Which is a fantastic phone btw, display is AMAZINGLY clear.

The Bold is the "business" device, so that doesn't really make a lot of sense. I'd hardly call business users their target audience anymore, especially for this device; I'm not sure how may business users are on T-Mobile.

I don't know the ins and outs of manufacturing these phones, but I assume that Nokia and RIM use different radios on their devices. Nokia could have a smaller radio that they buy/manufacture, I don't know. It just doesn't make any sense that the Bold would be so much larger than the 8900, for no reason. The only real difference between the two is the radio, and the 1gb of onboard memory on the Bold, which can't take up that much room.

Man, if RIM withheld 3G from the 8900 because they don't believe consumers would use the device for heavy internet use, they're making an unbelievably huge mistake. Can they truly believe their business customers wouldn't want a smaller, sleeker BB with 3G? I know plenty of people who use the Curve (8320, 8330) for their jobs. I think an 8900 with 3G would easily outsell the Bold. That's probably the real reason behind RIM's decision.

That Nokia E71 is one sharp phone!

I think an 8900 with 3G would easily outsell the Bold. That's probably the real reason behind RIM's decision.

:confused:

Their goal is to sell phones. Not making the best device possible isn't in their best interest.

Their goal is to sell phones. Not making the best device possible isn't in their best interest.

Bigger margin on the bold ;)

Honestly, for what most people use data for, edge is usually fine. And an 8920 with WiFi would be even better.

I think they placed the javelin VERY well in the product line.

Bigger margin on the bold ;)

Honestly, for what most people use data for, edge is usually fine. And an 8920 with WiFi would be even better.

I think they placed the javelin VERY well in the product line.

The Bold is something like $150 to make. I can't imagine the 8900 profits being a whole lot higher.

Also, the 8900 has WiFi and GPS ;)

yes but wifi and gps are retarded when used on the edge network.

No 3G in the 8900 retards sales of the 8900. RIM devotes a ton of money promoting BB for everyone, not business users alone. Just watch a commercial for BB. "BlackBerry for Life" is the entire campaign. An 8900 w/3G would be a blockbuster in the consumer market.

yes but wifi and gps are retarded when used on the edge network.

This doesn't even make sense.

No 3G in the 8900 retards sales of the 8900. RIM devotes a ton of money promoting BB for everyone, not business users alone. Just watch a commercial for BB. "BlackBerry for Life" is the entire campaign. An 8900 w/3G would be a blockbuster in the consumer market.

I realize this. I was referring to his comment that RIM purposely left out 3G so they could sell more Bolds. That would just be silly.

I got to play with this phone a few weeks back. What an amazing device - perfect size, full keyboard, amazing screen (actually better resolution than the BOLD in a smaller screen).

The lack of 3G really makes me a sad panda, since I do use the BOLD to tether from time-to-time and the difference between EDGE and 3G is quite significant. I hope they bring out a 3G version of this guy later this year.

meant gps :)

Is the G1 the only 3g enabled phone for tmobile so far?

Ehh, I would say that GPS on EDGE is still very valuable. Location based apps are very powerful, and don't always need a lot of bandwidth.

And I think the G1 is the only 3G enabled device on Tmo that's really worth talking about.

I realize this. I was referring to his comment that RIM purposely left out 3G so they could sell more Bolds. That would just be silly.

No, thats exactly why there isnt 3g there, they dont want to cut into the bold sales. Its also why apple said they wont make an iphone nano without 3g, they dont want to cut into the profits of the iphone 3g.

No, thats exactly why there isnt 3g there, they dont want to cut into the bold sales. Its also why apple said they wont make an iphone nano without 3g, they dont want to cut into the profits of the iphone 3g.

At least someone else here understands marketing.

At least someone else here understands marketing.

Explain it then. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would want to sell LESS phones. The 8900 markets to a different audience than the Bold. There are people who don't want to buy either device:

1. The Bold is too large and clunky for them.
2. The 8900 doesn't have 3G.

They are missing out on sales here. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I'm definitely no marketing genius, and I'd never claim to be. This just doesn't make sense to me.

A couple of issues here:
1) RIM Doesn't want low end phones (Javelin) to cut into high end phone's (Bold) market share. Someone else mentioned this already.
2) Tmobile uses different 3g frequencies than the rest of planet earth. Meaning that even if you run an unlocked Bold on Tmo, it won't connect with 3g. This will be the case until/unless RIM manufactures a BB with 1700mhz HSDPA, which will be 100% exclusive to Tmo USA. I don't think that is likely, but I'm not really an expert on the subject.

Honestly the situation is a bit disappointing. There's not a huge difference between EDGE and 3G for on the phone browsing. Data downloads, like large OTA programs or MP3's are another story.

When tethering, however, EDGE <<<< 3g. It's like night and day. And it's quite sad to me because Tmo has fantastic data plans, they officially support tethering, and their international support is excellent. The alternatives are not pretty.

So even if RIM does release a 1700mhz 3g HSDPA phone, unless it also does standard 3g gms frequencies (2100/1900mhz I think?) you'll be SOL when you leave the USA and stuck on EDGE.

Me: disappointed. And here we thought handset/network compatibility was getting better, not worse.

Well AT&T 3G service here in Chicago blows...Everyone with a iPhone has the worst service ever around here, dropped calls daily, bad reception, and switching back and forth between 3G and E just sucks for net browsing.

I have heard it is two fold problem, the 3G iPhone has hardware design issues, and the AT&T network in Chicago just sucks.

When I had T-Mobile on a normal phone, it was the best for my business, always got calls, very clear reception, just great. So I am willing to dump AT&T somehow and go back to T-Mobile, because I just need a phone that first is perfect at being a fucking phone, it can take and make phone calls with no drops, and also need to text a little, and get e-mails, fuck surfing the net on a phone :rolleyes: I can do that in office or home.

This is a nice phone, but I've determined I'm not a Blackberry type. I hate the small buttons and lack of dedicated numbers. Plus I keep trying to punch the screen like it's a touchscreen. Got this from T-Mobile, so it's going back for a G1. If I hate that, I'll just get something else unlocked. HTC touch Pro or Nokia N85?

Back