Black & White 2 - 6fps

Masejoer

Gawd
I can't seem to find anything about any of this. Just realized B&W2 has been out for awhile now so I got it, installed it, and updated it to 1.2(ATI updates). Unless I'm looking straight down on a small area of the land, where I get ~11fps, its stuck around 4-6fps all the damn time. Changing to 640x480 or low detail makes zero impact on performance. Have a week old install of Windows XP Pro with all the latest drivers, dual core patches, etc. Any idea whats going on? The performance is the same whether I'm on the training land or the later ones (only up to 1st Japanese land so far but the performance, although still 6fps with a larger city, is just pathetic).

Specs are:
AMD X2 @2.5Ghz
1GB(Dual channel) PC3500 BH5 HyperX
ATI X800XL @Stock
2x400GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10's & onboard sound in Shuttle XN95G5v2.
VSync OFF and all settings set to FASTEST in drivers/AA off

You may want to get another gig of ram. I play BW2 on both my desktop, sckt 939 3500+ slightly oc'd agp 6800gt and 2gb ocz. I also play on my acer 8204 lappy, with a core duo t2500, 2gb ram and a x1600. the lappy bogs down on some of the more complex movie scenes and larger cities. However my desktop handles this one quite well at a medium resolution. The lappy I have set to low detail with the lowest widescreen format, one reason i think it bogs down. I havn't tried it with a normal screen format.
Your system should be able to handle this game, just upgrade to another gig and you should be fine.

Getting another stick of ram isn't going to help you. First thing I would do is reinstall the game. If that doesn't fix it try reinstalling all drivers. From there all you can do is a fresh XP instal.

How's your performance in other games? I assumed it was normal.

Yeah, its not disk swapping thats the problem. Found that unplugging the tv thats on the dvi, although it was disabled in the drivers(no extended desktop, clone, etc), did the trick. Up to the 20fpsmin-35fpsmax range now with 1024x768/all details on/4x FSAA. So much more playable. That following level starts off REAL slow gameplay wise, especially since the Japanese keep sending units from the beginning on. Just waiting on all the children to grow up to become warriors, while the creature takes out the stray platoons.

Back