black processor??

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I have an Asus M3A78 mobo, and a 5400+ Black.....

It doesn't seem to matter what I put for a numtiplier, it makes VERY little difference in the performance of the machine.... only FSB seems to make the difference...... AND if I put the multiplier down to like 12 or 13.... and the FSB at 330, it seems to be as fast as when the multiplier is at 15!!

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a mobo problem?? I updated to latest BIOS...

Thanks,
QJ

What do you mean by 'as fast'? As fast at doing what? Are you talking about the resulting speed, or like how fast it benchmarks in CPU intensive tasks? Got an example?

Maybe implying that the machine is a bit snappier with the higher FSB regardless of the clock speed. I notice my Q6600 feels a bit snappier at 8x400 than it does at 9x356. But that's just me and I'm anal like that.

Any numbers to backup your claim? Not saying that your lying, but it may just seem that way.

Any numbers to backup your claim? Not saying that your lying, but it may just seem that way.

Yes... I have been here over 8 years, and you 40 days and you're insinuating I'm lying? lol... :D

As far as temps, I haven't checked....

I would check the temps, make sure they are reasonable. The black doesn't come with a cooler, so what did you throw on there?

Do you see any difference in CPU only intensive tasks like SuperPi? Got a screen of the CPUz, and temps we could glance at?

The more I play, the more I am wondering if the multiplier doesn't actually make a whole lot of difference, compared to the FSB?? Is this true? The only problem seems to be that even if I set my multiplier down to like 10... in won't even post at 250FSB.... are these chips even capable of 250FSB at any multiplier??

I would check the temps, make sure they are reasonable. The black doesn't come with a cooler, so what did you throw on there?

Do you see any difference in CPU only intensive tasks like SuperPi? Got a screen of the CPUz, and temps we could glance at?

The CPU is running at about 52C after about a 2 hour 100% CPU usage.(using stabtest which maxes both cores out pretty nicely)

I am just using an old copper base 939 Cooler that I had, with some OCZ grease(I think it's decent stuff anyhow) maybe that is the problem eh?? Too much heat.

52C under full load after a couple hours doesn't really seem like a problem to me.

So just so things are clear if you up the FSB and lower the multiplier to get to a certain clock it performs worse than if you up the multiplier and lower the FSB resulting in the same clock? So far as I'm aware the opposite should be true because of less voltage required to mobo to achieve such a result.

Do you get errors when stress testing the CPU? possibly not enough voltage to the core...but....I doubt that's it.

Anything more so far as details? Is this a newer overclock, or one that's started to give wonky performance? What's the mobo being used?

No.... a higher FSB is better than a higher multiplier.... and I think that is the way it should be... but I guess when it comes right down to it... no matter how low I go with the multiplier, I cannot get a 240FSB stable, or a 250FSB to even post!

It's an Asus M3A78

I have come to a conclusion...

A. My Processor won't run above 230FSB no matter what.
B. My Motherboard won't run above 230FSB no matter what
C. My Processor's multiplier isn't changing when I change in the BIOS... I will be checking that today.

you checked to make sure that your hypertransport isn't out of spec? That can sometimes be an issue when overclocking these x2 procs.

these are interesting questions coming from someone who had been here for a long time...

your statements and questions are more like a total newbie rather than a vet....

when OCing you need to make sure everything is stable...

you OCing via the mutli could be making your cpu unstable which would slow it down....

do some homework and read about OCing before doing it

Wouldn't a simple check with CPU-Z answer the question about the multiplier?

these are interesting questions coming from someone who had been here for a long time...

your statements and questions are more like a total newbie rather than a vet....

when OCing you need to make sure everything is stable...

you OCing via the mutli could be making your cpu unstable which would slow it down....

do some homework and read about OCing before doing it

I don't overclock much, but I have overclocked my fair share... just not in the last three or four years. My overclocking was mostly all done back when I had my first Celeron's, K6-2's, K6-3's, and PIII's.... you know... back when you were still in diapers?? :D j/k I have no idea how old you are.

P.S. When I was mentioning how long I was here, it had NOTHING to do with my 'experience' only that fact that I have NOTHING to gain by 'lying' about whether my CPU will OR won't o/c very well. There are alot of people here that know me by now, and could vouch for that.

Lastly, I have overclocked two Q6600's in the last month that worked like a CHARM! FSB only(one @333FSB and one @350), on Asus Motherboard's(usually the only thing I'll buy)... I just decided to try a Black because I keep reading about how 'great' they are because of the unlocked multiplier(bringing my mind back to the old K6-2. and K6-3's I had).

Sorry to trounce on some toes. :)

Ok... kinda what I figured.... when I change the multiplier on the board in the BIOS, it isn't actually changing a thing. It's still 14 in CPU-z..... anyone else have this board, or had this problem? I should be able to just change the multiplier in the BIOS, and that's it right?? The funny thing is this.... the POST screen shows it's changed, but windows doesn't. :confused:

I will clarify what I just said... when I change the multiplier from 14 to 13, the post screen says 2.6Ghz, but CPU-Z still says 2.8! :confused:

Try clearing the CMOS and starting over. Something is bunked somewhere.

Yeah, there's something funny going on somewhere. I don't have that board, but I have a 5000+BE and it was a simple matter of changing the multiplier in the BIOS.

some don't. i know the phenoms do

Yeah, there's something funny going on somewhere. I don't have that board, but I have a 5000+BE and it was a simple matter of changing the multiplier in the BIOS.

Ok.... no matter what I did in the BIOS, it would show up at POST, but didn't matter in the OS.... CPU-Z said the multiplier was stock(14) and this would explain why 230FSB is the highest I can go...

I reset BIOS, and am reformatting now....

Will report back....

P.S. To the guy above.... no, my CPU didn't come with HSF(I was actually quite suprised by this, and had to make due with an old 939 I happened to have lying around)

Maybe check BIOS to turn off the cool n quiet feature. I seem to remember that interferes with OCs.

Maybe check BIOS to turn off the cool n quiet feature. I seem to remember that interferes with OCs.

Ok.. the machine is at work(playing with it there), but will check it tomorrow.... thanks for the hint.

Just for the record, it isnt the CPU that is limiting your FSB, it's the chipset on the motherboard. Best way for a stable OC with your MB/CPU combo is to leave the FSB at 200 and raise the multiplier.

Just for the record, it isnt the CPU that is limiting your FSB, it's the chipset on the motherboard. Best way for a stable OC with your MB/CPU combo is to leave the FSB at 200 and raise the multiplier.

Ok... good to know. Now hopefully to figure out why the processor/mobo isn't accepting my inputs properly.

I don't overclock much, but I have overclocked my fair share... just not in the last three or four years. My overclocking was mostly all done back when I had my first Celeron's, K6-2's, K6-3's, and PIII's.... you know... back when you were still in diapers?? :D j/k I have no idea how old you are.

P.S. When I was mentioning how long I was here, it had NOTHING to do with my 'experience' only that fact that I have NOTHING to gain by 'lying' about whether my CPU will OR won't o/c very well. There are alot of people here that know me by now, and could vouch for that.

Lastly, I have overclocked two Q6600's in the last month that worked like a CHARM! FSB only(one @333FSB and one @350), on Asus Motherboard's(usually the only thing I'll buy)... I just decided to try a Black because I keep reading about how 'great' they are because of the unlocked multiplier(bringing my mind back to the old K6-2. and K6-3's I had).

Sorry to trounce on some toes. :)

QwertyJuan - I was like you as far as getting back into the OC scene on the AMD side and went looking for a good article and found this one as a sticky in the AMD forum. It gives a very clear understanding of the AMD performance options and how to do a stable OC with them. Hope it helps.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1327003

I have an Asus M3A78 mobo, and a 5400+ Black.....

It doesn't seem to matter what I put for a numtiplier, it makes VERY little difference in the performance of the machine.... only FSB seems to make the difference...... AND if I put the multiplier down to like 12 or 13.... and the FSB at 330, it seems to be as fast as when the multiplier is at 15!!

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a mobo problem?? I updated to latest BIOS...

Thanks,
QJ

QwertyJuan - One issue might be the fact that this is a mATX board and they are not generally OC friendly IMO but I could be completely wrong.

QwertyJuan - One issue might be the fact that this is a mATX board and they are not generally OC friendly IMO but I could be completely wrong.

This is borne out by review by Legit Reviews

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/693/6/

This Asus motherboard based on the 780G/SB700 chipsets really left us scratching our heads. Here is why:

The performance of the board was not really even close when compared to the 790FX motherboard. Now I know that the 790FX is the flagship chipset for AMD, but the honest truth is that the 780G should not score so much lower than its big brother. There will be performance differences, but certainly not to the degree that we saw in this review. When we look at the scores in FEAR, Crysis and WinRAR, it is obvious that there is something wrong with either the motherboard or the Phenom processors on this board. When we saw the issues that we did, we swapped the Phenom CPU out for a 5000+ and the scores normalized. So who is to blame? AMD and the Phenom? Asus and the BIOS implementation? Who knows?We may never find out...

The layout of the board was absolutely fine. There were no issues that we experienced at all in setup. Overclocking was not done on this board. That may disappoint you, but in all honesty, we spent way too much time just trying to get the Phenom to run, let alone trying to overclock it. It is a budget board, so any overclock that you get is a big bonus. The Asus M3A78-EMH is reasonably priced around $87 plus shipping at your favorite online retailer.

Do you have the latest BIOS for that board? Sorry if you've mentioned this already

Actually it's not a mATX board...

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=758&l4=0&model=2409&modelmenu=1

That is the direct link to what board I have... it's the 770/SB700, not the 780g that you linked. I know it's confusing, as Asus actually has about 10 different boards, and three chipsets with that model number, lol.... no idea if it's a good o/c board or not... the BIOS is full of stuff to tweak though....

Actually it's not a mATX board...

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=758&l4=0&model=2409&modelmenu=1

That is the direct link to what board I have... it's the 770/SB700, not the 780g that you linked. I know it's confusing, as Asus actually has about 10 different boards, and three chipsets with that model number, lol.... no idea if it's a good o/c board or not... the BIOS is full of stuff to tweak though....

You are correct and apologize. I just followed the first Google link and jumped at the rest of the conclusion.

in all OCing you need to check temps, raise either the multi or the FSB in small increments, with a big ram divider on so you know the ram is not limiting and.... the run prime95 or orthos to test for stability... then increase again....

always keeping temps below 60*C max and the lower the better...

then ask for help

JMO

in all OCing you need to check temps, raise either the multi or the FSB in small increments, with a big ram divider on so you know the ram is not limiting and.... the run prime95 or orthos to test for stability... then increase again....

always keeping temps below 60*C max and the lower the better...

then ask for help

JMO

I did bump it in small increments... but the problem it seems is with that fact that my current mobo doesn't seem to be 'working' properly with my unlocked CPU. I have a few other hints here that hopefully will fix the problem. I will post back tomorrow....

Fixt!! Thank you so much... I disabled that in BIOS, rebooted into windows and BAM, it's showing 3Ghz with a 15x multiplier.... now to play around with my CPU and find out what it's capable of! :)

Glad to see you got it working. I think even if you have Cool n Quiet on, the overclock still works. It just drops the multiplier down when the CPU is idle. Once the CPU usage goes up, the multiplier gets cranked up as well, or something like that anyways.

Glad to see you got it working. I think even if you have Cool n Quiet on, the overclock still works. It just drops the multiplier down when the CPU is idle. Once the CPU usage goes up, the multiplier gets cranked up as well, or something like that anyways.

Maybe that's how it's SUPPOSED to work... but on this machine it wasn't.... I was maxing out the proc. with a benchmark, and it still was showing a multipier of 14.... the ONLY thing that was working was the FSB adjustment....

Back