Black Ops so far let down

Well the guy probably has a point. I can't help but think he's over reacting, but then again the "internet nerd crowd" can be unreasonable at times.

Thing is COD to me was always about the arcade feel. I do understand that maybe they just went too arcade this time around? But come on, if you see game trailers with guys using remote control cars, you can't really believe that this game is going to some how do it's best to try and keep the game realistic.

Actually the MP mode feels "less arcade'ish" than the previous installment. You don't have crap popping up in your screen all the time every time you do anything. Crap like:

YOU RECOVERED FROM A DEATH STREAK!
CONTGRATULATIONS YOU SUCK A LITTLE LESS NOW!
+300 POINTS

You still get notifications for things like that but they are at the top of the screen, have no additional "pop-up" sound effect and are a little less intrusive. I also don't see them for quite as many things.

I have not played the game but a few guys at work got it and none of them is really liking it all that much.
I'm talking about guys that have spent playing Modern Warfare 2 since release day up until last Tuesday when BlackOps got released.

I have not played the game but a few guys at work got it and none of them is really liking it all that much.
I'm talking about guys that have spent playing Modern Warfare 2 since release day up until last Tuesday when BlackOps got released.

I liked Modern Warfare 1 & 2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare I played from release all the way until Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 came out. I've now been playing Black Ops since day one. The latter has a better single player game than Modern Warfare 2 did. Much better I think. This game's multiplayer experience could be better given that it has dedicated servers. Right now it isn't there. All the weapons are absolute rail guns. The weapon sway and muzzle climb of the single player game isn't present in multiplayer. It still runs fairly badly. The maps in BO look better, but it's like Treyarch turned all the lighting effects off for the most part making it look washed out. That's probably a lot of the reason why people think MW2 looked better. In single player, I'd say no way. In the MP mode I'd say, that's almost valid. Texturing is better in BO etc. but there is more to it than that. You need lighting to finish the product. Lighting effects are lame in MP mode. Simple as that.

Actually the MP mode feels "less arcade'ish" than the previous installment. You don't have crap popping up in your screen all the time every time you do anything. Crap like:

YOU RECOVERED FROM A DEATH STREAK!
CONTGRATULATIONS YOU SUCK A LITTLE LESS NOW!
+300 POINTS

You still get notifications for things like that but they are at the top of the screen, have no additional "pop-up" sound effect and are a little less intrusive. I also don't see them for quite as many things.

Well I wouldn't complain about these notifications as that is why most of these MP shooter games have a hardcore / realism mode which does away with that.

I've just been demoing the SP however and I must say, the game looks absolutely ugly. Textures, environment, etc. It looks similar but actually worse than COD WAW, and the sad thing is, it doesn't play as smooth as COD WAW. This is the worst console port in the history of pc gaming.

Feel pretty bad for the people that lost $60 on this thing.

I wasn't really looking forward to this game at all.. but damn i missed cod4.
bought the game, and have been kicking ass like the good old cod4 days... enjoying it a lot.

For it, it was worth it.

Well I wouldn't complain about these notifications as that is why most of these MP shooter games have a hardcore / realism mode which does away with that.

I've just been demoing the SP however and I must say, the game looks absolutely ugly. Textures, environment, etc. It looks similar but actually worse than COD WAW, and the sad thing is, it doesn't play as smooth as COD WAW. This is the worst console port in the history of pc gaming.

I play in the hardcore mode whenever possible. Unfortunately most of the hardcore servers are empty. :mad:

My son and I play FPS games quite a bit on the PC. I have played BO for 2 days now. It reminds me of MW2, with graphics that are a bit 'cartoonish'. Also, I don't see a lot of realism... rather like a console game.

I still feel Battlefield:Bad Company 2 is by far the best FPS game right now... hands down.

Played some One in the Chamber matches today. That shit is fun. At one point I had five rounds of ammo to play with. I just kept stabbing people.

How do you "demo" the SP? You mean torrent?

You don't know what a bad console port is.

Also, if you think it looks worse than WaW or the past iterations, get your eyes checked. The game definitely looks better at 16x AA and all that jazz compared to past iterations of the CoD series.

It uses a game engine older than many whom play it. Polish a turd much?

Keep buying this crap and eventually we will all be swimming in the sewer.

Now that I have had some time put into the game, I can honestly say I am having a blast with the SP. Tonight I will give the MP a shot. :)

Finished SP yesterday on 360, I enjoyed it more than MW2; seemed like it was a bit longer than MW2 also. Got one crash in a later level, something about a character having more than 160 bones. I'm glad the game dumped me back to the menu screen to protect me from that mutant monstrosity.

After my experience with MW2 I'm not too interested in the MP at this point, so I'm glad I rented it.

HOWEVER, if/when it comes down to $10-$20, I'm going to have to buy it for PC and convince my coworkers to do the same, for one reason: the "Five" Zombies mission.

There are many very good points made in this thread...a lot of which resurrect the "console-itis" discussion. I think console ports are here to stay given the current PC-gaming situation with piracy, so we might as well get used to it. This plays a major part in graphics having stagnated over the past couple years. Why bother developing a AAA title with cutting-edge graphics when that will remove 90% of the video game market (i.e. consoles).

That being said, graphics aren't everything. I seem to enjoy any Call of Duty game more than Crysis. I'm sure that's just personal preference, but I'd rather a game run very smoothly than have the latest in graphics technology. My PC is capable of running any game at maxed out resolutions, but the CoD games run smooth 100% of the time, whereas Crysis will occasionally hiccup. Oh, and I don't seem to suffer from any of the framerate issues being reported with Black Ops.

As for the multi-player, it doesn't seem to me like FPS multi-player has really ever changed. I play the same way now as I did in Quake (and Duke 3D and Doom before that). New modes pop-up that introduce different takes on the same gameplay (eg. kill the other team or capture the objective), but by and large, the gameplay remains the same. Not that this is a bad thing - I love playing FPSs online, and Black Ops is no different. I took a break from PC gaming over the past few years, and am just now getting back into it. The fact that I can hop on to a Black Ops server after years without playing a PC FPS online and have a 1:1 K : D ratio just proves the fact that not much has changed. The custom options for Black Ops are kind of neat, but they are just a novelty that will fade into the background after a couple months (or weeks, whatever).

As for Black Ops specifically, it really is arcade-oriented. The online action is very fast, and there always seems to be a killstreak-perk activated, whether it's a remote controlled car with explosives, a napalm strike, or a spy plane giving away enemy positions, this game is definitely aimed at those with fast reflexes, and a willingness to accept the ridiculous. It sure is a blast, but Operation Flashpoint, this is not.

We really are suffering from a lack of innovation these days, but given that I can't think of something innovative myself, I can't really blame the industry!

Wasn't Black Ops supposed to have seperate campaign co-op maps? I cannot find anywhere to play co-op except the zombie maps. This is a let down, if it's only the zombie maps that are co-op that sucks. MW2 co-op campaign was a lot of fun.

Wasn't Black Ops supposed to have seperate campaign co-op maps? I cannot find anywhere to play co-op except the zombie maps. This is a let down, if it's only the zombie maps that are co-op that sucks. MW2 co-op campaign was a lot of fun.

I never got to play MW2 in Co-Op. I always wanted to, but never did.

This is what happens when Activision releases any game.

I have nothing good to say about Activision, but Ubisoft have turned into a*holes when it comes to PC games, and EA... well EA's sordid history in screwing customers is legendary. Not many big publishers are willing to not treat all their paying PC customers like the thieves that ruin it for the rest of us. /rant

I will say, however that Activision was clearly focused on the short term story when they fired the IW leaders and effectively dissolved the team. Even though they have a great engine (that's now starting to stagnate) and. At least there are dedicated servers now - to quote Ars Technica: "Dedicated servers! It's almost like I'm back in college, playing an honest-to-goodness PC game again!".

To quote bit-tech: "Call of Duty: Black Ops is a crudely implemented game. There’s absolutely no subtlety to the way it's put together, and the twists are all insultingly obvious. Treyarch is apparently oblivious to the obviousness of these impending plot twists, and only just manages to stop short of having a ‘ta-da!’ sound clip play. Where Modern Warfare 2 was carved with scalpels, Black Ops has been bashed into shape with sledgehammers."

It's still a decent game though, just not brilliant.

I played a bit of the SP last night on my PC.
Now I use nvidia Surround, which is fun.....but

Black Ops has not advanced much graphically over World at War.
One level WAS really sharp, the others very dated.

The game play even has near identical elements at MW and WaW.....escapes on motorcycles vs snowmobiles....I thought I was on the same exact road for a minute like in Waw.
The prison level looks alot like Half-Life 2.
The "heavies" look like FEAR.

There is some neat gammeplay, but overall it's just getting repetative.

My thoughts on the game

Game play and customization are good. I like the game but so far has been a big disappointment to me. at times the game gets so glitchy it's not worth playing. Constant network disconnects. Random spawning right in front of the enemy. sometimes the server list works, sometimes it doesn't. all things that I'm sure will get fixed over time , but as far as launches go it was fail. I knew that muti monitors would not be supported as was the other COD's but really.... they couldn't of worked that in on this title. Really????

Our server was not even listed for the first couple of days. If you have a ranked server. You cannot even password the server (FTP and all Admin abilities via Gameservers are unavailable) you cannot unban players,and cannot set TK's as to when the server kicks a TK'er or temp or permanently ban a players. So in order to have more control you need to get a Unranked server.

Everyone in the team is getting agitated with it. everything in general. You want a game to be a fun experience. not a frustrating one. Hopefully the playability will be fixed soon.

The rumor has it that a new patch will be released before the weekend. Don't give up hope just yet. Every game that is released seems to need a couple of patches before it is really ready to play. Not sure why they release it before it is ready, but they do.

I wouldn't say that. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare / Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 were pretty solid out of the box. I never played Call of Duty World at War so I can't speak to that one or any other Treyarch releases. This game is the first Treyarch Call of Duty title I've played so far. While I like the game and I haven't experienced that many issues, it seems to be buggier than previous titles were. Battlefield games and some others are often pretty terrible out of the box, but CoD games are pretty solid for the most part. Even on day one.

Seriously unimpressed. Played about 3 hours of the single player before quitting and uninstalling. Plot lines were written by a 12 year-old. Hitboxes on AI targets feels like I'm playing deer hunter on an arcade cabinet from 1990. Just a crap game.

Have you really even tried:rolleyes: We play coop online constantly.

Here are some CPU benchmarks I ran today on the Hanoi map, the tested hardware is in my sig. I don't think any other console game port depends so much on the CPU in order for it to run correctly on the video card. When I shoot someone at 70fps the screen freezes and stutters but those freezing events do not show up on this chart so I presume that is a bug of some sort.

I have a feeling there is a poorly optimized Xbox360 compatibility layer running beneath this game. I really can't think of anything else that can explain this CPU dependance.

bocpuscale1.jpg

I played a bit of the SP last night on my PC.
Now I use nvidia Surround, which is fun.....but

Black Ops has not advanced much graphically over World at War.
One level WAS really sharp, the others very dated.

The game play even has near identical elements at MW and WaW.....escapes on motorcycles vs snowmobiles....I thought I was on the same exact road for a minute like in Waw.
The prison level looks alot like Half-Life 2.
The "heavies" look like FEAR.

There is some neat gammeplay, but overall it's just getting repetative.

Play further on. Some levels suck. Some are breathtaking. There is variety coming.

I wouldn't say that. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare / Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 were pretty solid out of the box. I never played Call of Duty World at War so I can't speak to that one or any other Treyarch releases. This game is the first Treyarch Call of Duty title I've played so far. While I like the game and I haven't experienced that many issues, it seems to be buggier than previous titles were. Battlefield games and some others are often pretty terrible out of the box, but CoD games are pretty solid for the most part. Even on day one.

You forgot about CODMW2's Javelindom and infinite-ammo rapid-fire noobtoobs?

Also, [generic complaint about no dedicated servers] :D

You forgot about CODMW2's Javelindom and infinite-ammo rapid-fire noobtoobs?

Also, [generic complaint about no dedicated servers] :D

The lack of dedicated servers really hurt the game. No doubt about it. As for the exploits, I heard of them but only ever experienced one: Chopper gunner spamming.

Back