Black Ops 2 - Multiplayer Details

SoFGR

[H]ard|Gawd
Up to Blog Posts in Call of Duty®: Black Ops 2
Previous Next CALL OF DUTY®: BLACK OPS 2

PC ONLINE SECURITY, MATCHMAKING AND SERVER INTEL
Posted by BlackOpsNews on Sep 28, 2012 4:07:02 PM
What anti-cheat will be used?
Anti-cheat is a top priority for Call of Duty®: Black Ops II. We have developed our own proprietary server-side anti-cheat technology which will work alongside VAC to deliver the most advanced detection and banning capabilities of any Call of Duty game to date. We have also improved our player reporting system to make it the most effective way that you can help us catch cheaters. And starting on launch day we will have a full-time dedicated pc anti-cheat team focused solely on detecting and banning cheaters. We have a zero tolerance policy on cheating. Cheaters bans are permanent.

Will Black Ops have Matchmaking or Dedicated Servers?
Both! Call of Duty®: Black Ops II PC combines matchmaking with secure ranked dedicated servers. This means that you get into Public Matches or League Play via matchmaking lobbies. It is easy to party up and play with your friends. You can adjust your classes or scorestreaks between matches. It also means that every Public or League match is hosted on a dedicated server running in one of our high bandwidth datacenters around the globe.

Will you release the server files?
No. We are keeping the server files secure to protect the game from hacking and cheating and ensure the ranking and progression system integrity.

Can I rent a server?
No. We are providing a huge number of servers around the world at no extra charge – plenty for everyone to enjoy. And we will administer the servers.

Will there be mod tools?
No. As we continually improve and advance our in-house tools for our own content teams we are unable to provide consumer tools due to increased technical requirements, licensing restrictions, and technology dependencies.

http://community.callofduty.com/com...-online-security-matchmaking-and-server-intel

Call of Duty
2003-2012
R.I.P

DAMNED SHOUTING! :p

I think it died a while before 2012... unless you mean profitablity, then it shall live until all the obsessives get bored...and go on to something else. As there's nothing on the horizon...

Only questions remains, how weak assed will the boycott be this time? :D

you know what.... after the mess that COD MW3 was the only people that this will piss off is cheaters. I couldn't stand MW3 BECAUSE of the cheaters and if these are the steps they need to take to ensure I don't get taken advantage of... too fucking bad.

You wanna blame anyone for this - blame the assholes that have ruined the COD series by constantly cheating. You couldn't join a MW3 server that wasn't filled with hackers so too all them - fuck off, I can't wait to see you get your stupid asses banned for good.

Call of Duty hackers
2003-2012
R.I.P

I'm not a big COD guy anymore (last played was black Ops 1) but they were doing good in this announcement up until they were saying "no no no" to renting servers, or mods.

What if a group of competitive players want to do private matches? I realize that 'competitive' and COD don't really go together, but its just an example. No mods? All that is saying is "we are afraid the community will come up with something far more fun, and/or original than we have in the past 8 years"

No renting servers... how disappointing. No mods is also crap. Face it, CoD has gone way downhill and I don't understand why people buy this shit.

Errr... wat? You act like this is a decline from previous COD games? Considering MW2 didn't have dedicated servces at all and MW3 only had them for unranked games, this seems like an improvement. At least ranked matches get dedicated servers now. It's not ideal, but it's still an improvement. Same goes for the anti-cheat. It remains to be seen if it will make a difference or not, but it's still a step up from the VAC-only anti-cheat thats been in the last several games. And as for mod tools... please... are you surprised? Very few games come with mod support anymore, and COD hasn't had it for several years now. This still isn't a step down from any recent COD game.

I'm not a fan of COD by any means, but I think sometimes people hate just for the sake of hating :confused:

Looks like they finally Did what I've been saying since mw2 came out. Matchmaking but on dedicated servers. While no mods and private servers is kinda lame, it's not really the end of the world for me. Let's see how this game will be.

IT IS the end of the (cod pc) world

What's the point of dedicated servers when I can't host mine or atleast rent one and enforce my rules( bolts only - no akimbo - no martyrdom etc ) , ban immature douchebags at will and play the game the way my buddies / clan / ladder organisation want to be played ? ( crouch only CTF - SnD xK mod LIVE etc )

The only kind of development studios that get away with this BS are the console ones, like Epic ( GoW 3) i don't care about MW2 and MW3, we're talking about Treayarch here, not IW, last IW game i bought was CoD4 and i didn't even pay full price thanks to Thailand and ebay, BO2 should be compared to BO1 - WaW and UO only !

I don't understand the surprise over mod tools. First, it's COD. Second, I think the days of mod tools are almost over for the most part. As bean counters continue to infect the major publishers, there won't be anyone left there with the perspective to say that mods can increase the lifetime of games. Those people look at something like Day Z and don't see the fact that it has revitalized Arma 2 sales. They look at it and wonder how they can steal elements from it and kill the mod with a subscription/DLC based product.

No renting servers... how disappointing.

Yep, accept one thing

NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN NO GUNS ALLOWED ONLY FEET CROUCH ONLY 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN TACTICOOL CROUCH ONLY 24/7
:D

The biggest CON is not being able to kick cheaters

Last edited:
Yep, accept one thing

NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7

LMFAO. I don't get the whole crouch only thing. Accidentally stumbled into a few, couldn't get out fast enough. They say it's more "tactical", I guess somewhere along the way tactical and stupid became one in the same. personally I think they just suck at the game and prefer to slow down the game till it's almost running backwards...

you know what.... after the mess that COD MW3 was the only people that this will piss off is cheaters. I couldn't stand MW3 BECAUSE of the cheaters and if these are the steps they need to take to ensure I don't get taken advantage of... too fucking bad.

You wanna blame anyone for this - blame the assholes that have ruined the COD series by constantly cheating. You couldn't join a MW3 server that wasn't filled with hackers so too all them - fuck off, I can't wait to see you get your stupid asses banned for good.

Call of Duty hackers
2003-2012
R.I.P

Uh what? MW3 had lots of hackers and shit because of its lack of ability to admin the servers.

MW3 was already similar to what this is. So was MW2. Both had shittons of hackers.

Uh what? MW3 had lots of hackers and shit because of its lack of ability to admin the servers.

MW3 was already similar to what this is. So was MW2. Both had shittons of hackers.

every single game I've ever joined that was a dedicated server had the scoring hack enabled.

One kill - 50,000 XP

I literally max ranked in a few matches...

Yep, accept one thing

NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7
NUKETOWN 24/7

Sadly this is what I ended up enjoying the most about BO.

Once upon a time it would have never been that way, but Nuketown was nice just to jump in and play for short play periods.

I don't understand the surprise over mod tools. First, it's COD. Second, I think the days of mod tools are almost over for the most part. As bean counters continue to infect the major publishers, there won't be anyone left there with the perspective to say that mods can increase the lifetime of games. Those people look at something like Day Z and don't see the fact that it has revitalized Arma 2 sales. They look at it and wonder how they can steal elements from it and kill the mod with a subscription/DLC based product.

Yes. The main reason I hate this series is that effect it has had on pc games in general. BF series was awesome bc of the MODS like DC, POE, etc and PRIVATELY hosted servers.

Bf series now without mods or real servers? Barf 0 La

Cod murdered my favorite game. So bitter much? You betcha.

PC is Dead because of COD

PC is alive because of Battlefield

yadda yadda yadda

I love the CoD franchise. :D

I did too until COD MW3. Playing at 60 FOV gave me headaches. capped at 91 fps in MP gave me headaches and eye strain. Playing online was a hack fest filled with cheaters and servers that leveled me up in about 1 hour. The whole experience from day one was just awful, I was pissed I spent the money on that blur induced consolized shit and wished the worst on every cellar dwelling console n00b. "you've ruined COD you selfish little nipple sucking shits".

Then came the FOV fix and the fps uncapper and the game became playable again finally... but by then there were hackers in every single match and I was already level 80 cause some asshat put up a score hacked server ruining the whole unlock tree for me.

COW MW3 was the worst COD experience I've ever had.

If it wasn't for Treyarch moving the engine to DX11 and removing XP support (thank God - seriously how much fucking longer and people going to cling to that OS???) I'm more than happy with a locked down MP experience (fuck all you cheaters that ruined MW3), un-framrate-capped, FOV adjustable game I'd be done with the COD series altogether.

I'm surprised anyone on the PC platform is playing any CoD games after MW2, especially with all the hate flying around the Interwebz. I love the CoD games and they are pretty fun for MP, SP hasn't been good since CoD4.

Everyone knows exactly what to expect what a new game in the franchise gets released yet they buy it anyway, so they make more of the same because you went and bought it. They aren't good games, and haven't been since COD4.

I find it amusing that people get riled up over this. The days of mod tools for triple A games are over, they'd rather drip feed you their own content and then charge you for it.

I don't mind the route they're taking.

I've played enough MW2 on PC, and i can tell you, hackers and unknowingly modded servers are not entertaining.

"Call of Duty" will never be the same after COD4. Please don't expect that it will ever be remotely close.

I prefer dedicated servers, but I'm definitely over server admins who don't know the difference between hacking and legit play. I have been banned incorrectly from so many servers in BO that it is not even funny. Even with that I would still take the dedicated server system over this method. I'll still give it a shot to see if it is any good before passing judgement though.

I think its a step in the right direction. People are obviously too immature to handle being admins for the most part (kicking players for using certain weapons or configurations blah blah). And the cheating is rampant in much of FPS online gaming. Having Treyarch take control and "attempt" to prevent cheating in a proactive way could actually lead to a smoother experience.

It could also go the opposite way and end up closing the entire experience up so tight that it turns away players that desire some configuration. No modding is a disappointment but many big title releases don't have any mod support so is this any different? The indie scene is doing a fine job taking care of games that allow for modding , I don't mind them leaving it out at all.

The only thing that is worrisome is that day 1 hundreds of thousands of players will pound Treyarch's official servers and will they have enough to meet demand? I'm thinking that they won't.

If they can put a policy in place to get an admin's attention whenever a hacker is on the servers, then it might work. I doubt that will happen though, and it will just be like it was in MW2 where you have to leave and go through the matchmaking process again to get a game going without the hacker.

With dedicated servers you can contact the admins through steam and get them to come take care of the problem if they are not already on, but the ignorance in identifying legit players as cheaters because they are good kind of outweighs the benefit of that system. Back in the days of Quake people understood the difference between legit players and hackers and respected the decent players for their ability instead of calling them hackers and banning them.

So the only dedicated servers will be the ones Treyarch decides to run, and the client-side hit detection from the consoles will presumedly be in the PC version? How is this any better than p2p matchmaking?

God knows if Australia will get any of these super-duper cheat-free magical servers, let alone enough to cater for the game's population. We'll probably get stuck connecting to the US or Europe.

So the only dedicated servers will be the ones Treyarch decides to run, and the client-side hit detection from the consoles will presumedly be in the PC version? How is this any better than p2p matchmaking?

God knows if Australia will get any of these super-duper cheat-free magical servers, let alone enough to cater for the game's population. We'll probably get stuck connecting to the US or Europe.

I'd assume it uses the same netcode as the other games in the series, which has the lag compensation done server side on dedicated.

They should just reboot the series by just re-releasing COD2.

They can't really call it COD2 again (or can they?) so I guess Call of Twoty will suffice.

I'm surprised anyone on the PC platform is playing any CoD games after MW2, especially with all the hate flying around the Interwebz. I love the CoD games and they are pretty fun for MP, SP hasn't been good since CoD4.

The SP was the only reason to buy MW3. Conclusion of the trilogy story. MW3 MP was so filled with hackers it wasn't really even playable if you didnt have some kind of hack. I just opted to play BF3 MP instead. Shame COD MP has been ruined by hackers I'm hoping they really lock those cheating assholes out this time.

Fuck all the cheaters... we all know you do it to compensate for your tiny dicks though

I am only interested in the competitive match making. But I will definitely not be picking this up for $60

They should just reboot the series by just re-releasing COD2.

They can't really call it COD2 again (or can they?) so I guess Call of Twoty will suffice.

This was the best of the series. I played the hell out of the modded maps and enjoyed some great, mindless fun.

I just saw a commercial for blops 2 and laughed at a review by MTV......something about it being the best COMPETITIVE game.....

yeah, mtv reviewed it. must be legit right?

This was the best of the series. I played the hell out of the modded maps and enjoyed some great, mindless fun.

I just saw a commercial for blops 2 and laughed at a review by MTV......something about it being the best COMPETITIVE game.....

yeah, mtv reviewed it. must be legit right?

CS will probably always be the most competitive game. CoD is way more fun though in my opinion. Make sure to read the MY OPINION part, I don't want to get flamed here just for stating that and people taking it out of context.(Not you particularly!)

And MTV, I think that channel got deleted off my package, not like I ever really watched anything on there anyways.

For anyone that bought any COD after COD WaW. You deserve to be miserable. I bought BO, shame on me, but you can't fool me twice. This game will sell because all the kids think that shit is normal. Mother Fuckers.

For anyone that bought any COD after COD WaW. You deserve to be miserable. I bought BO, shame on me, but you can't fool me twice. This game will sell because all the kids think that shit is normal. Mother Fuckers.

Yes, wish a shitty life on someone because they buy games THEY enjoy :rolleyes:

You think anyone really gives a fuck about what other people think about their purchases?

Yes, wish a shitty life on someone because they buy games THEY enjoy :rolleyes:
The writings on the wall. 80% of this thread people are complaining about hacking and general game play. So stop buying it...
If I buy a a power tool from a hardware store and it keeps breaking, but I keep getting the same one, then how stupid am I?

The writings on the wall. 80% of this thread people are complaining about hacking and general game play. So stop buying it...
If I buy a a power tool from a hardware store and it keeps breaking, but I keep getting the same one, then how stupid am I?

This thread accounts for less than 1% of CoD players and 95% won't buy it, but are just hear to add some comment about their hate towards CoD. If you don't like it that's ok, but there is no need to be so hateful.

The main reason I buy CoD games is to play with my clan and others. On your own it isn't really that fun anymore.

I don't mind the route they're taking.

I've played enough MW2 on PC, and i can tell you, hackers and unknowingly modded servers are not entertaining.

"Call of Duty" will never be the same after COD4. Please don't expect that it will ever be remotely close.

I tend to agree. I really miss the COD4 feel and community!

e5KeC_zps31720efa.jpg

The game is a total loss. Competitive play is so fucked it is beyond lol. Has been forever. This is true for every multiplayer fps online but especially for this game. I wish lans were more popular.

Back