Black Myth: Wu Kong

That is over the top stuff right there. With the wolf battle he tries to shrug off the fire. The thing is I wonder if it controls like Sekiro or Monster Hunter.

Last edited:
Obviously it looks good graphically, but holy crap those animations. I really hope this turns out to be as good as it looks in the trailer, because it looks incredibly promising.

Analyst Daniel Ahmad posted some more info on the game, and the company, on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1296295321635631104

Some interesting info in there. Apparently this is the product of over two years worth of work. There will be 72 different abilities (to tie into Wu Kong's 72 transformations from the tale). Some of the inspirations are fairly obvious but they apparently took inspiration from God of War, Sekiro, and Monster Hunter.

I really like the aesthetic of this game, I hope it is good.

Black Myth: Wukong Early Gameplay Trailer- A Stunning Tech Showcase For Next-Gen?

Chinese developer Game Science Studios has released a brand-new trailer for its upcoming action-adventure RPG, Black Myth: Wukong...it's to serve as the first installment in a trilogy based on Chinese mythology...due to be released in 2023...

Unreal Engine 5 + ray-tracing! 👍😃 ...4K/60FPS...the game will also support Nvidia's ray-tracing, DLSS technology as well as Dolby Atmos

the animation and combat look so fluid...totally feels like Sekiro...the dragon boss fight looked incredible!

Black Myth: Wukong- Official Unreal Engine 5 4K Gameplay Trailer

Those environments are pretty insane. Only minor nitpick is the freeze/stutter in the action when you land a hit, but I realize that aesthetic is something that's kinda always been around in asian/japanese-developed fighting games going back to street fighter, mortal kombat etc.

As well, a lot of us are probably used to the fast-twitch, instant-responsiveness of your character in Dark Souls, so the fighting in this game at times feels like you're running underwater, like a sort of bullet time but faster. Probably just a matter of brain adapting.

Still looks epic, will play for sure. Will be jawdropping on a OLED in 4K, I reckon.

That looks pretty incredible. It has a Sekiro vibe, but it looks a full generation beyond. The snow effects alone are jaw dropping. I feel like everything is playing catch-up to the Demon's Souls remake (graphics-wise) and this is right there with it. Performance looks a little weird, but that might be a heavy dose of motion blur doing that. Either way, I'm very, very interested in this.

the new trailer looked incredible...the movement is so fluid which is really important in a game like this

Motion blur is the worst. I don't even like it in racing games where it's supposed to give you the illusion of speed. If the game is truly fast, it should look that way naturally. In a game like this one, it's full-on torture.

Does anyone actually prefer motion blur? I don't think I know a single person that games, casual or obsessively, that leaves motion blur on.
Per-object motion blur is fine. Full screen vaseline smear is not. I like proper blur because the nature of sample and hold presentation means our eyes can't fill in the proper information to blur things when the viewpoint is moving quickly in a game.

Release window: Summer 2024...still a long ways away

Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit! | Chinese New Year Short Film by Game Science

Those environments are pretty insane. Only minor nitpick is the freeze/stutter in the action when you land a hit, but I realize that aesthetic is something that's kinda always been around in asian/japanese-developed fighting games going back to street fighter, mortal kombat etc.

As well, a lot of us are probably used to the fast-twitch, instant-responsiveness of your character in Dark Souls, so the fighting in this game at times feels like you're running underwater, like a sort of bullet time but faster. Probably just a matter of brain adapting.

Still looks epic, will play for sure. Will be jawdropping on a OLED in 4K, I reckon.
Mortal Kombat is American not Japanese and didn't really have the freeze/stutter effect that's in Japanese games when it launched outside of the uppercut. The freeze/stutter that was in the SF2 series was not intentional and was a result of the hardware simply not being able to keep up. That's why it's much worse on the home versions but minimal on the arcade versions. It was kept because for some things it ended up working out well. Specifically some of the more complex combos. MK was always the garbage tier of fighting games and incorporated it into their later games as part of their updated combo system and greatly benefited from it. Some of their other changes are iffy though.
That looks pretty incredible. It has a Sekiro vibe, but it looks a full generation beyond. The snow effects alone are jaw dropping. I feel like everything is playing catch-up to the Demon's Souls remake (graphics-wise) and this is right there with it. Performance looks a little weird, but that might be a heavy dose of motion blur doing that. Either way, I'm very, very interested in this.
The PS5 is still sort of "new" in the scheme of things. It usually takes a while for developers to extract the full potential of a console. It's not shocking that a Sony funed exclusive where they worked with the devs came out of the gate strongest. It's jaw dropping and a hell of an exclusive that's never going to show up on other platforms.

Screenshot_20230820-084817.png

How Black Myth: Wukong Developer’s History of Sexism Is Complicating its Journey to the West

Beneath the luster of this souls-like is a studio plagued by claims of sexism...several posts have surfaced from Chinese social media site Weibo, written by individuals from the studio, that contain multiple references to genitalia and sexual innuendos...these have provoked a backlash among some in the games community, many of whom are women...this was coupled by recruitment posters by the studio, produced in 2015, which featured images and headlines that point to a culture of ingrained sexism in indie game studio, Game Science...

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-bl...exism-is-complicating-its-journey-to-the-west

I think it's going to be a good game but the problem is you play a monkey not alot of people are going to want that. The game as a whole looks good otherwise.

Last edited:
Back