Black Mirror Bees Comes to Real Life

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Remember that Black Mirror episode Hated in the Nation with the electronic killer bees? The engineers at Washington University are getting us one step closer to those being a reality. Wireless flying robotic insects are a real thing now.

Check out the video.

Now, engineers at the University of Washington have for the first time cut the cord and added a brain, allowing their RoboFly to take its first independent flaps. This might be one small flap for a robot, but it’s one giant leap for robot-kind.

Taking the first steps towards creating self-aware flying death machines, reigning terror and mayhem from above until they KILL US ALL!!!!!!!
Or until they hit something and die. Or until they run out of juice. Or until they encounter a bug that human interaction would need to resolve.

Or until they hit something and die. Or until they run out of juice. Or until they encounter a bug that human interaction would need to resolve.
I think if we ever get self aware AI we are screwed as in a few minutes it could probably advance past us

I wish BugaSalt made a shotgun version of their Kickstarter backed project. Perfect use for robotic insects.:D

I think if we ever get self aware AI we are screwed as in a few minutes it could probably advance past us
What about electronics breaking down over time? If there's no sensor for it's own chips and wiring, or a host to repair it.. Really what I'm getting at is, making something self aware is still programming. You would need to automate every human aspect, which can never truly happen, even tho every tech company aims to appear that everything has been automated. We still get dropped calls for crying out loud.

What about electronics breaking down over time? If there's no sensor for it's own chips and wiring, or a host to repair it.. Really what I'm getting at is, making something self aware is still programming. You would need to automate every human aspect, which can never truly happen, even tho every tech company aims to appear that everything has been automated. We still get dropped calls for crying out loud.
A swarm could potentially combine processing power to gain common storage while away from their base, increased data input and more intelligent processing.
They can kill us all!

I'm going to need a stronger fly swatter.
Yeah a virtual one likely wont cut it.

So when the living bee and the snyth bee meet up in a dive hive and... then we all die.

Robot bees are cool and all, but if something from Black Mirror was to come to the real world - I'd want to see a politician fuck a pig!

I've already come to the sad conclusion that I'm never going to see any truly lifelike robots in my lifetime. This video just reaffirms that thought.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
FYI. Washington University and University of Washington are two completely different places, 2000 mi apart.

Back