Black Mesa Releasing Sept. 14th

Anyone care to chime in a little more with a little in-depth perspective? I am sitting at work waiting until Sunday to play this thing and would love to hear some commentary about game-play, comparisons with original Half-Life, etc...

amazing. it's the half life you know and love with mad tweaks. everything seems more complete. the basic puzzles valve introduced seem to have more thought put into them. it's not significantly harder than the original.. but it just requires more thinking. mostly because i'm so used to the original.. i could probably play it with a blindfold on. i find myself spending time to explore everything just to compare to the orignal ya know?

suddenly, there's physics involved. the puzzles are slightly different, better thought out. lighting actually makes a difference. the characters/scientists/guards aren't all the same model. it's just a new experience. way more immersive. i seriously commend these guys.. i'd pay good money for this "mod".. i may just donate. huge undertaking, and they pulled it off. was worth the wait.

So far it is nice aside from three things:

1) The soldiers spin around far too quickly and move too quickly. It looks very unnatural. They can find/aim/shoot far quicker than you.

2) The soldier's voice acting is very cheesy.

3) The MP5 is a bit too inaccurate IMO. There is also no feeling to it unlike the other weapons.

Otherwise it is very good.

1 and 3 are some very valid points. Although I am not agreeing with them (because I am at work and have not played it yet) it is something I will definitely be monitoring.

One thing I can't stand about an FPS is when a gun doesn't have that "feel." This is potentially upsetting news.

Why would you go out of your way to lie about it? The game works the same as any other Source game with a gamepad.

jebus, sarcasm detector fail...

I wasn't responded to the actual question, but the fact that the poster is "fishing" just to stir some shit up. If they do want to play HL with controller that's their choice, but I sure as hell wouldn't advertise it...

1 and 3 are some very valid points. Although I am not agreeing with them (because I am at work and have not played it yet) it is something I will definitely be monitoring.

One thing I can't stand about an FPS is when a gun doesn't have that "feel." This is potentially upsetting news.

The Glock 17 and .357 both feel great, but I'm not so keen on the MP5. The solider animations do look a little stiff and I'm somewhat mixed on their voices.

....and the crowbar...something just doesn't feel right about it...am I the only one?

That's nitpicking though, Black Mesa is absolutely fantastic and it's FREE...

I didn't get any sort of icon to launch the game on install. Anyone else have this issue?

Basically I can't start the damn game!

I didn't get any sort of icon to launch the game on install. Anyone else have this issue?

It installs a shortcut in your Steam library, check there.

Here's a custom image everyone can use for their Steam library. Note, I didn't make this, it was taken directly from the Black Mesa website.

VPmwH.jpg

Okay, I don't feel so dumb now. I have the same problem, there's nowhere to launch this thing from. There is nothing in my steam library.

edit: yeah, had to completely close steam and restart it.

Crap.. downloaded during the day while I was at work... get home to a broken archive.

At least now the torrent is working.

Damn, damn, damn!

HL1 was so much better than HL2. WANT!

Nope, fired up Portal 2 and it worked fine.

I'll see if I can find something else. Mobility FirePro and Windows 8 shows nothing new on AMD's site...maybe I can get a regular Mobility Radeon driver to to work. May just have to play it on another PC until AMD releases something new...but it's strange that TF2 and Portal 2 have had no issues

Nope, fired up Portal 2 and it worked fine.

I'll see if I can find something else. Mobility FirePro and Windows 8 shows nothing new on AMD's site...maybe I can get a regular Mobility Radeon driver to to work. May just have to play it on another PC until AMD releases something new...but it's strange that TF2 and Portal 2 have had no issues

Have you tried going to Options > Black Mesa and fiddling with the VISUAL settings? There is a "noise shader" setting, sounds like the kind of thing that might produce flicker on some GPUs.

The Glock 17 and .357 both feel great, but I'm not so keen on the MP5. The solider animations do look a little stiff and I'm somewhat mixed on their voices.

....and the crowbar...something just doesn't feel right about it...am I the only one?

The crowbar does seem a bit odd. The range is shorter than the one in HL2 and it only has a single hit animation where as it had two in HL2.

.357 and Glock 17 do feel great, though I agree, the MP5 is odd. I don't enjoy using it at all. The SPAS-12 does sound as good as it did in HL2 either, IMO.

I am currently stuck on Chapter 9 Apprehension. Its one of those physics puzzles. I know what I have to do but can't find the items. :eek: Good game for the most part. I've never played HL so playing a new game for free is always nice.

I was able to get 12.8 Windows 8 drivers to work on my laptop, luckily it's being detected as a Mobility 6700 series rather than FirePro. I've made it so far to Blast Pit. I...don't remember the game being this hard. Maybe it's just me, but the MP5 feels much weaker than before, and I don't feel like I can jump as high as I used to.

Did I miss something as far as weapons go?

I'm already to the part where you fight the enemies with the sonic attacks, and I still have only the crowbar. I seem to remember having a pistol by now, which is essential to kill those creatures without taking damage. Do I have to fight through with my crowbar, or did I miss the pistol and need to go back?

Nevermind, I found them.

Last edited:
Did I miss something as far as weapons go?

I'm already to the part where you fight the enemies with the sonic attacks, and I still have only the crowbar. I seem to remember having a pistol by now, which is essential to kill those creatures without taking damage. Do I have to fight through with my crowbar, or did I miss the pistol and need to go back?
I got the pistol before I got the crowbar

The game is fine but the graphics are extremely dated and poor. I thought that was one of the big things with Black Mesa in that it would have very good current graphics.

I got the pistol before I got the crowbar

Yup, guess I missed it. I managed to get one in the security room you have the scientist unlock, along with the grenades.

It's SO EASY to miss stuff with the new dark corridors. Gordon needs a fucking maglite :D

The game is fine but the graphics are extremely dated and poor. I thought that was one of the big things with Black Mesa in that it would have very good current graphics.

The stated goal of the mod was the update Half-Life to the Source engine (and not the half-assed port Valve did). They have achieved this impressively.

It's no BF3, but it's pretty good looking.

The stated goal of the mod was the update Half-Life to the Source engine (and not the half-assed port Valve did). They have achieved this impressively.

It's no BF3, but it's pretty good looking.
yes but it took them so long that now the Source engine is just as old as the HL 1 engine was when HL 2 came out.

I played a little last night. Some things I noticed: Shadows are pretty glitchy. In some areas they look nice but in others it needs work. I may have some screens.

Also, does anyone else thing that the sprint is wayyyy to fast?

I am also not a fan of the jumping sound.

Yes, I am going to be nitpicking a mod that was in 8 years of development.

yes but it took them so long that now the Source engine is just as old as the HL 1 engine was when HL 2 came out.

True. It doesn't even look as good as L4D2 and probably not as good as CS:GO. But it still looks better than HL1, and has a newer build and higher resolution textures than HL2. So they have achieved that.

Once they get the final part of the game released they can get ready for their HL2 remake. :p

I take it that you'll be re-making Half-Life on a more modern platform. Is that correct?

I like it, but I'm really not a fan of the jump-crouch. Why can't they make it so you just have to jump. It's a pain more than anything.

im quite impressed with this mod so far. The graphics looked really dated , but the effects used really helps alot and looks fairly executed. I like what they have done with player movement, where you side step, you also get a slight lean. the jump crouch is a little bit off though. The glock feels very nice to shoot, it has the right amount of "oomph". i would be interested if they decided to make their own rendition of cs, or just their own mp fps

oh and the music is pretty good too. really liked the tram music in the beginning

Good thing theirs an option to lower\turn off view roll in options under black mesa...

Back