Black levels and movies/games?

kasakka

2[H]4U
I've noticed recently that the black levels in movies on my display seem to be causing some issues. It seems like the detail in dark scenes is lost on my monitor, also known as black crush. For example if I set the RGB range in movies to limited using MPC + ffdshow, while the blacks are not as deep there are details in movies that are more visible in dark scenes.

The thing is, I don't think I should have these problems. I have a Dell 3008WFP (IPS panel) and at work a Lenovo L220X (S-PVA) so it's not like they are crappy displays and both suffer from the same issues. When I go to lagom.nl's test images, the black levels test images 1-5 look like the same color. White levels the two brightest images (253,254) look the same too at least on the Lenovo.

I don't have a calibrator so I'm using the values found in Prad.de's reviews of the displays for calibrated sRGB. Both displays use custom RGB settings because the presets (including sRGB mode) are way off and make no difference with this issue.

Do I just have incorrect settings or what? The problem seems to be display related because it's the same in Win7 and Mac OSX.

With the 3008WFP I'm thinking it could be a settings issue, while with the L220x it might be an intrinsic issue that requires calibration. The OSD values in the prad.de reviews are probably associated with an ICC profile which you do not have.

Played around with color profiles a bit and they do seem to show different results.

Back