Black iPhone 5 Anodized Aluminum Susceptible to Scratching?

This just in...anodized Aluminium is dyed on the surface, this is not powder coating and will not make Aluminium any tougher than it already is.

Next there will be shock and gasps of outrage when they find that the screen breaks from a three foot drop.

This just in...anodized Aluminium is dyed on the surface, this is not powder coating and will not make Aluminium any tougher than it already is.

Next there will be shock and gasps of outrage when they find that the screen breaks from a three foot drop.

But it doesn't ;-) Check out the iFixYouri.com video someone posted earlier.

Now if they'd fix the map app, they'd have a pretty solid phone this time around!

My 3GS got really scratches when I took 600 grit sandpaper to the back. Then I covered it up with black electrical tape. I'll be doing the same when my ipfone5 shows up. The tape, not the sandpaper.

Get a good case and don't worry about it. Its that simple.

If you run around without a case and drop your phone , shit is on you.

Seems silly that people wouldn't buy a case for a phone that costs the same as a decent laptop.

The fact that its still completely working and still getting hours of battery life on the original battery are a true testament to the quality of Apple products IMO.

How many other 5 year old smart phones that are used every day still work and still look great?

my rubberized coating samsung blackjack still works and looks great. No case used either.

oh yeah, aluminum sucks.

lots of iphone users will be feeling like shit when they get their first scratches, haha.

my laptop has a bunch of hairline scratches on the aluminum.

Never underestimate how much people want to show off the look of an expensive device :D

Most of the Apple phone cases I've seen have a vanity hole so you can use the logo as a mirror and so that people can tell you're using an iPhone while you're talking on it.

Most of the Apple phone cases I've seen have a vanity hole so you can use the logo as a mirror and so that people can tell you're using an iPhone while you're talking on it.

I saw one of those at a gas station bathroom once, disgusting place.

someone should take a key to his car to see if it's scratch proof. :)

Seems silly that people wouldn't buy a case for a phone that costs the same as a decent laptop.

Its incredibly silly considering a simple $20-30 quality case can prevent the vast majority of this kind of damage (in the Android Authority video at least).

One URL for the clueless : www.otterbox.com

Well, what alternatives do you have for materials?

Plastic also scratches.
Matte plastic hides scratches, but the corners tend to shine after a while.
Soft touch can wear off, though after 2 months my Nexus 7 is holding up fairly okay. Don't have any other devices with soft-touch.
Glass shatters (e.g. iPhone 4/4S)
HTC does have their micro-arc oxidized aluminum on the international One S, which they claim no longer needs a case. I'm not sure how good it is.
Ceramic?

Melon must have been using 12345 as an account password or something. :(

Or, Melon is now insane. :)

I like the second option, personally!

Melon must have been using 12345 as an account password or something. :(

Or, Melon is now insane. :)

I like the second option, personally!

Hahaha, that's what I get for leaving my notebook up while showering. :eek:

aluminum is a shitty material to build with, news at 11

Next time you are flying in that pretty airliner, think about all the aluminum it is made of. Almost all the structural parts of an airplane are aluminum. ;)

Next time you are flying in that pretty airliner, think about all the aluminum it is made of. Almost all the structural parts of an airplane are aluminum. ;)

A lot of parts these days are carbon fiber. Landing gear legs are usually steel. Titanium also gets some use.

Also, don't forget to remember that you're flying through the sky in a giant Tylenol with wings.

My HTC Sensation has an aluminum unibody design...

Aside from the previous owner getting one edge of it scratched up.. it looks mint... I don't have any case on it... I treat my expensive phone with care.

Because if I buy a several hundred dollar device... I expect to take care of it, so that I don't have to buy another one any time soon.

Different aluminum - the HTC has a coating on it to prevent pretty much everything. I used to use my first one as a demo phone and would throw it up in the air and let it land on concrete. Thing was a beast phone..

Really? I was under the impression that my HTC One S has anodized aluminum on the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_One_S

I was right. I guess it's not that cost prohibitive then?
It's a completely different material than used on the iPhone. Both the HTC Sensation and the HTC One S have coatings on their devices to prevent scratching.

Also, different style of metal: The iPhone 5 has a brushed aluminum style whereas the HTC One S has a flat, coated aluminum.

Well, the glass is definitely not crack-resistant: http://imgur.com/gallery/3bbYy

3bbYy.jpg

A lot of parts these days are carbon fiber. Landing gear legs are usually steel. Titanium also gets some use.

The majority of planes are still Aluminium. Saying something is "aluminium" and "aluminium" is useless as a building material and "aluminium" is used in aircraft is pretty meaningless, there's so many different grades of aluminium. All aluminium is about a third the weight and a third the stiffness of steel and iron based alloys, but beyond that the strength varies massively. Much of the aluminium used in much of an aircraft has a higher strength than much of the steel used in your car at a third the weight.

Anodized aluminum is scratch resistant, just not scratch proof. It is much harder than non anodized aluminum, but it's going to scratch if you try to do it.

Not true. It depends on what type of anodizing. Hardcoat Anodizing maybe, but typical type I and II are thin and can scratch rather easily. Type III hardcoat provides better wear resistance than type I or II.

Not true. It depends on what type of anodizing. Hardcoat Anodizing maybe, but typical type I and II are thin and can scratch rather easily. Type III hardcoat provides better wear resistance than type I or II.

well, i know this at least. The aluminum on my laptop lid doesn't have squat for anodizing.

it got scratched by plastic.

must be Type bigfat zero anodizing

Back