Black Desert Online's 4K XBOX One Trailer is Undeniably Beautiful

cageymaru

Fully [H]
MMORPG Black Desert Online has been one of the most beautiful games on the planet for quite a few years. The new XBOX One port announcement trailer is simply amazing with the combat directly from the game showcased in its 4K glory. My only question is what optimizations has the development team at Pearl Abyss used on the game to get it to run at 4K resolutions on the console? Is it simple up-scaling of 1080p content or is the game really going to run at a native 4K resolution? I have been playing the game for over a year now, and I'm leaning heavily towards hat they are up-scaling 1080p content, but a HDR remastering of the game was announced earlier this year at GDC.

Black Desert Online has always been a beautiful game with many mechanics under the hood to keep players entertained and I look forward to the XBOX One X users getting access to the vast open world PVE and PVP combat in the game. They will really enjoy the siege mechanics as watching 10 armies comprised of up to 100 players per army fighting it out to claim regions is a sight to behold. Now all they need to do is announce cross play between the PC and XBOX One platforms. The game already has full controller support built into the game that is intuitive to use.

NSFW due to language and nerd rage, but this siege video details some of the drama that goes on during sieges. :) I can't wait for the XBOX crowd to get into the game.

How does this compare to Everquest II? I have been looking for a replacement since it shut down and have found nothing. It looks really good as far as combat goes. What I'm mainly looking for is lots of skills that work together, and items. WOW was ok...but you just click the same like 4 buttons on cool down constantly. EQ was an art form.

How does this compare to Everquest II? I have been looking for a replacement since it shut down and have found nothing. It looks really good as far as combat goes. What I'm mainly looking for is lots of skills that work together, and items. WOW was ok...but you just click the same like 4 buttons on cool down constantly. EQ was an art form.

What I would do is go to Youtube and search for the Awakening Guide for each class. They will show the combos that incorporate "super armor" and "invincibility frames". The classes are easy to play, but hard to master as pulling off individual moves are easy; but knowing how to chain them into a situational killer combo is hard. Personally I just play the game for the PVE and watch the PVP from afar mostly as I don't have the time commitment for a guild that wants to do sieges 3 days a week. If you stay away from certain PVP hotspots you can pretty much avoid all PVP. But enter the danger zone and it's on!

Class are:

Berserker
Dark Knight
Kunoichi
Maehwa
Musa
Ninja
Ranger
Sorceress
Tamer
Valkyrie
Warrior
Witch
Wizard

MMO... It looks great, but I can't play games like this. I can only play the ones where you jump in, play and when you're done, you're done. Or single player. I play for a few days, then don't touch it for a couple months. Then, come back and play again. MMO's are the worst thing for me to play. Or anything where it requires constant play. Single player? I can come back in 6 months and keep playing right where I left.

This is a great looking game. I'd love to get into MMO's like this. I just can't.

This doesn't look like real 4k at all... just google for "1080 ti black desert 4k" on youtube and you can easily see the difference.

I play at 4k on medium with a 980 Ti and even that looks better than the trailer.

MMO... It looks great, but I can't play games like this. I can only play the ones where you jump in, play and when you're done, you're done. Or single player. I play for a few days, then don't touch it for a couple months. Then, come back and play again. MMO's are the worst thing for me to play. Or anything where it requires constant play. Single player? I can come back in 6 months and keep playing right where I left.

This is a great looking game. I'd love to get into MMO's like this. I just can't.

The good thing about BDO is that you can quit for awhile and come back to everything that you had previously. A guild might kick you for not being online to participate, but I can't think of another reason why you would lose a thing. It doesn't have a subscription like other MMOs like World of Warcraft. So you never feel like you HAVE to play to get your money's worth.

I play it like a single player game personally. I see other people and avoid them if they are farming materials. Pretty fun game.

The good thing about BDO is that you can quit for awhile and come back to everything that you had previously. A guild might kick you for not being online to participate, but I can't think of another reason why you would lose a thing. It doesn't have a subscription like other MMOs like World of Warcraft. So you never feel like you HAVE to play to get your money's worth.

I play it like a single player game personally. I see other people and avoid them if they are farming materials. Pretty fun game.

How's the story? Voice acting (or is there none?). I'm a total plot whore so I'd be curious about it.

How's the story? Voice acting (or is there none?). I'm a total plot whore so I'd be curious about it.

Zero. Well I am lying; there is a story. And in 99.9999% of MMOs I would care about it. But for some reason in BDO, I just don't care. One of the main reasons is that questing gives you bag slots, energy capacity, etc. It doesn't give you experience to level up. So if you want to level up, you don't quest. :)

And the quests are run here, run there, deliver this, just like every other MMO. You just don't get experience from doing it. So you spend hours running for zero experience. ;)

My gaming group checked out BDO when it released, and while it was an amazing single player game - we found multiplayer elements to be pretty much non-existent. "A limited, single-player PvE game with other people walking around, and an unfinished PvP game with substantial potential" felt like a good description. Some of this may have changed (particularly PvP) since we stopped playing, so more-informed individuals please correct me if so!

Trading was forbidden and talking on global chat was tightly gated through a stamina system. This did nothing to stop gold spammers, and just annoys the hell out of people trying to do useful things. The lack of trading makes everything feel kind of pointless. Which is frustrating because buying workshops, claiming resources, hiring workers, sending them off to do things... it was really quite an amazing set of mechanics. But I'd much prefer specializing and letting my guildies each assume a niche role.

Group combat is a button mash-fest. Its fun... but we never found it to be very tactical. There were not the typical roles of healer, CC, tank. the classes all came off as a flavored jack of all trades. Trying to coordinate as a group was more frustrating than fun.

Dungeons didn't exist. Most of the storyline wasn't group-friendly other than having more people might let you kill some things faster. No real boss fights/mechanics to speak of.

The story was OK, but didn't quite approach "average" to us.

I really enjoyed the conversation system. That was cool and I appreciated unlocking new discussion options. I also enjoyed how it gave rewards for doing 100% area completion and meeting all the NPCs.

My gang of friends has tackled every major MMO over the years. But we are kind of in a rut too.. because we've conquered them all - short of raid and pvp grinding - and are eagerly awaiting something fresh. BDO really had a lot of potential. But the crippled multiplayer lost our interest quickly. The PvP had a lot of potential. But without the PvE experience to sustain it, we'd rather spend our time elsewhere.

Trading is still restricted to potions. They alleviated the energy issue for the most part by not requiring it for everything. They banned the gold spammers and buyers for the most part. As far as trading goes, just list it on the AH with a weird enchant on it for example +4. Have your buddy put in a request to auto buy the +4 version 2 hours in advance. More than likely they will get it.

I never did the PVP as my gear has always sucked because I like playing multiple classes. There are intricate combos for PVP though. If you don't use them you're going to die quick and fast as there are invincibility frames that keep you from dying for example.

No dungeons. There are more outdoors raid bosses. We've gotten multiple PVE expansions; there is even underwater farming now. You should fire it up again after reading up on where the new areas are. There is even sea battles between guild ships.

For example here is an area that I'm not sure is out or not. I stay in the areas where I can kill things so there is a great deal of the map that I haven't seen.
https://steparu.com/previews/mmorpg/2252-black-desert-online-kamasilvia-naban-grasslands

Water.
https://steparu.com/previews/mmorpg/2095-black-desert-online-new-continent-and-underwater-update

I'd love to play this on my PC with my Titans, but the game has a flickering bug that still isn't corrected and makes it impossible to play.

This may be one time the console version is better simply because it will "just work" out of the box.

Trading is still restricted to potions. They alleviated the energy issue for the most part by not requiring it for everything. They banned the gold spammers and buyers for the most part. As far as trading goes, just list it on the AH with a weird enchant on it for example +4. Have your buddy put in a request to auto buy the +4 version 2 hours in advance. More than likely they will get it.

I never did the PVP as my gear has always sucked because I like playing multiple classes. There are intricate combos for PVP though. If you don't use them you're going to die quick and fast as there are invincibility frames that keep you from dying for example.

No dungeons. There are more outdoors raid bosses. We've gotten multiple PVE expansions; there is even underwater farming now. You should fire it up again after reading up on where the new areas are. There is even sea battles between guild ships.

For example here is an area that I'm not sure is out or not. I stay in the areas where I can kill things so there is a great deal of the map that I haven't seen.
https://steparu.com/previews/mmorpg/2252-black-desert-online-kamasilvia-naban-grasslands

Water.
https://steparu.com/previews/mmorpg/2095-black-desert-online-new-continent-and-underwater-update

No trading of items? Even in group/raid settings? Probably not for me then. No dungeons? Hows coop play? I need something for the wife and I to play. As mentioned, we played eq/eq2 for the entire time they were out. and then moved to SWtor for the initial release through first expac raiding. Swtor was alright, but more button mashing and the loot system was myeh. Crafting was good, but no guild halls! Too few skill sets, and not really enough differentiation between classes, it was more like wow where a stupid druid could be your tank. Come on, seriously. I guess I'm a traditionalist. I like technical characters and chrafting where you actually make an impact on your team and have to know the char inside and out to be realllly good. You know, you can still fill a gap, but its all about action priority and timing mixed with gear loadout (so many different items! But not randomized like division style!) there just isnt much of an mmo or rpg out there anymore that fits :( they are all button mashers to make the kids happy. I relate it to work ethic, of which this gen has little.

Zero. Well I am lying; there is a story. And in 99.9999% of MMOs I would care about it. But for some reason in BDO, I just don't care. One of the main reasons is that questing gives you bag slots, energy capacity, etc. It doesn't give you experience to level up. So if you want to level up, you don't quest. :)

And the quests are run here, run there, deliver this, just like every other MMO. You just don't get experience from doing it. So you spend hours running for zero experience. ;)

Ah ok. Good to know. So not my bag. Well, better to know now than spend $$$. Game still is gorgeous.

No trading of items? Even in group/raid settings? Probably not for me then. No dungeons? Hows coop play? I need something for the wife and I to play. As mentioned, we played eq/eq2 for the entire time they were out. and then moved to SWtor for the initial release through first expac raiding. Swtor was alright, but more button mashing and the loot system was myeh. Crafting was good, but no guild halls! Too few skill sets, and not really enough differentiation between classes, it was more like wow where a stupid druid could be your tank. Come on, seriously. I guess I'm a traditionalist. I like technical characters and chrafting where you actually make an impact on your team and have to know the char inside and out to be realllly good. You know, you can still fill a gap, but its all about action priority and timing mixed with gear loadout (so many different items! But not randomized like division style!) there just isnt much of an mmo or rpg out there anymore that fits :( they are all button mashers to make the kids happy. I relate it to work ethic, of which this gen has little.

If in a group you can set various loot settings. I don't play in groups for the most part, but the loot settings seem to mirror every other MMO out there. I think the most unique thing about it is that if you're in a group of strangers, you can set the loot so that members of the group can buy the item from the rest of the group, or it goes directly to the AH. Again I never tried it out.

Crafting in BDO is the most intricate web of gathering materials (easy), manipulating the materials to a higher grade (easy), manipulating them again (easy), combining higher grade materials (easy), and then combining it with some rare materials to make the final product (hard). Then you can enchant the item 20 levels with the last 5 having the ability to downgrade the item one enchanting level if it fails. Downgrades don't take you lower than to the +16 enchanting level, but the materials "lost" is soul crushing. Basically it is like winning a hand of Poker. Enchanting is the hardest aspect of the game.

If your guild is strong enough you can own entire castles and regions in BDO. For some reason you can't decorate the areas other than to hang your banner on the building and the map. You get millions of gold for each guild member if the guild is successful at defense of a high tier castle. Supposedly you can craft stuff for the guild to aid in the Node Wars where you capture land and castles. There are guild ships to hunt enemy guilds who are whaling for example. Sink their boat and take their whale. ;) There are elephants for sieges and I guess there is a nursery for them. Again I play solo so just Google for it. Also you can craft buff foods for your guild members and trade it to them.

There is no "healer", "tank", etc in BDO. Everyone takes care of themselves and possess buffs for the entire group. For example Wizards can buff an entire raid to not take damage. If you skim through the Lacari video, you will hear him say stuff like "Go, go, go! Big damage on my ping!" He's telling his mages to make the raid invincible and drop their biggest nukes and cool downs on the enemy before they can react. 100 man armies can evaporate in the blink of an eye if the raid leader properly coordinates an attack like Lacari does. He is the number one raid coordinator on the NA BDO servers. Wizards can also have multiple healing spells for the entire group, but they have a substantial enough cool down that you can't spam them. So every member of the raid needs to have their own healing pots.

Here are a few of the buffs and utility that some of the classes have. You need to watch an Awakening class guide to understand what it does as low level skills can become irrelevant as level 56 unlocks a new weapon and the most powerful skills for the class.

Witch is the same as Wizard with a few differences. Most classes have a mirror class that is pretty close, but still very different for advanced users. Some don't.

Valkyrie can buff the defense of the group and chain groups of enemies onto themselves. When they do this, the entire group is told to nuke them down for example. Everyone wants to kill the tank like Valkyrie almost as much as they want to kill the Wizards / Witch classes that hurt so bad.

Warriors have almost infinite block (exaggerating but seems that way!) They can stand in the front and hold off the enemies until the Wizards are ready to nuke them into oblivion with their big cool downs.

Sorceress can generate this huge ball of death and nuke an entire raid. They fight up close.

Same with Dark Knights except they are ranged and have more invincibility frames.

Musa and Maehwa can pick off individuals and escape without a care in the world.

Ninjas and Kunoichi are assassins. Nasty things that murder you in a very short time period.

Tamers can CC entire swaths of the enemy during sieges. And they have a pet that can randomly CC also. And they are tank like. Luckily people like Wiz / Witch more so you rarely see them come siege time.

Berszerkers and Striker can grab you and allow the team to murder you while you are CC'd over and over. Bezerkers can even carry you in their arms to say their entire raid group! Grab a cold soda pop while you wait for death.

Rangers are ranged killing machines. When they get their Awakening they are close up in your face killing machines. They can swap from ranged to close. Yea...

In short if you are REALLY into castle sieges then there is plenty of group guild stuff that you can do to prepare for siege day. You can group up, but there is little reason to other than PVP and buffing. Well you can grind significantly faster together to make leveling faster.

NSFW due to language and nerd rage, but this siege video details some of the drama that goes on during sieges. :) I can't wait for the XBOX crowd to get into the game.

I hope console players are ready for FPM instead of FPS in situations like this. I remember trying to play Besieged in FFXI on Xbox 360: it was impossible. One of those initiate an attack, maybe go to the bathroom, grab a drink, and by the time I get back the game may have caught up. It was only a little better on PC, maybe going at 30-40 FPM.

Back