Black cloth tape inside laptop

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
My little I5 laptop has a 1.5 strip of black cloth like material minimally attached to the heatpipe. It goes the length of the pipe up to the exhaust fan. Partially adhesive on the sides also partially covers the metal memory shield. Is this supposed to trap heat in the heatpipe or insulate the laptop mobo? The tape is NOT wrapped around the heatpipe. There is nothing under the heatpipe except the laptop base cover no circuitry there.. Maybe a fan noise deadening material? I really don't see this tape doing anything else... info?

My little I5 laptop has a 1.5 strip of black cloth like material minimally attached to the heatpipe. It goes the length of the pipe up to the exhaust fan. Partially adhesive on the sides also partially covers the metal memory shield. Is this supposed to trap heat in the heatpipe or insulate the laptop mobo? The tape is NOT wrapped around the heatpipe. There is nothing under the heatpipe except the laptop base cover no circuitry there.. Maybe a fan noise deadening material? I really don't see this tape doing anything else... info?
is it under a grate/grill? oems like to hide shiny bits under grates/grills with black tape or paint. you can rip it off it you want. and whille youre in there, if there is any "filter" material over the grates/grills, you can yank/cut that out to make it breath easier.

come to think of it, it is over the intake holes for air intake although they are too small for anyone to see through, I did remove it though and fan did get louder....

come to think of it, it is over the intake holes for air intake although they are too small for anyone to see through, I did remove it though and fan did get louder....
its not longer blocking noise or airflow.

You have always been a pretty smart guy. Im sending a pic
heatsink.JPG
This is sort of what the I5 heat pipe look like except the fan is actually separate. Anyhoo you see the number 3 with the four screws over the cpu? well that a has a copper piece there. I'm just thinking of putting another copper heatsink on it using thermal epoxy or thermal pad. There is just enough room for a thin finned heatsink. Copper on Copper would it help cooling at all?

You have always been a pretty smart guy. Im sending a pic View attachment 277809 This is sort of what the I5 heat pipe look like except the fan is actually separate. Anyhoo you see the number 3 with the four screws over the cpu? well that a has a copper piece there. I'm just thinking of putting another copper heatsink on it using thermal epoxy or thermal pad. There is just enough room for a thin finned heatsink. Copper on Copper would it help cooling at all?
if you were to thermal epoxy a heatsink to that spot it could cooler the cpu better but it could potentially create a new hot spot. can you post a pic of the bottom panel and circle where the cpu is and where the fan is? if the fan is pulling air over that #3 spot from a vent, it might be good. if the fan has its own breathing vent maybe not.

the whole heat piet sits right over the vent holes, any heatsink fins would point directly at them, they are really tiny though. It looks as if the only real air is pulled through the tiny holes by the single fan on the far left. the Cpu is the farthest thing and only thing that the heatsink bolts on. There is nothing else that the pipe even touches at all...It just terminates right at the cooling fan.... I have thought about enlarging the holes... I have the same thought that you do about the air flow... I don't about epoxy though at least thermal pads would be reversible.. Know any really good pads sending another pic the heat pipe is under the black tape...and you can see how small tyhe vent holes are.....
HP-Pavilion-x360-14m-dh1003dx-7.jpg
vents.jpeg

the whole heat piet sits right over the vent holes, any heatsink fins would point directly at them, they are really tiny though. It looks as if the only real air is pulled through the tiny holes by the single fan on the far left. the Cpu is the farthest thing and only thing that the heatsink bolts on. There is nothing else that the pipe even touches at all...It just terminates right at the cooling fan.... I have thought about enlarging the holes... I have the same thought that you do about the air flow... I don't about epoxy though at least thermal pads would be reversible.. Know any really good pads sending another pic the heat pipe is under the black tape...and you can see how small tyhe vent holes are.....View attachment 277824View attachment 277825
here is what copper looks like under black tape its solid all the way through the heat sink....
HP-Pavilion-x360-14m-dh1003dx-7 copper plate.jpg

the whole heat piet sits right over the vent holes, any heatsink fins would point directly at them, they are really tiny though. It looks as if the only real air is pulled through the tiny holes by the single fan on the far left. the Cpu is the farthest thing and only thing that the heatsink bolts on. There is nothing else that the pipe even touches at all...It just terminates right at the cooling fan.... I have thought about enlarging the holes... I have the same thought that you do about the air flow... I don't about epoxy though at least thermal pads would be reversible.. Know any really good pads sending another pic the heat pipe is under the black tape...and you can see how small tyhe vent holes are.....View attachment 277824View attachment 277825
yes thats all normal. and this could work as the only place that fresh air is sucked in is that vent over the cpu. another option, if you want to get really [H]ard, is to drill the holes bigger or cut out every other row to make slots. it will increase air noise but would cooler better. and yeah that black fabric is just so you cant see inside the unit.

Yep those are my options. Think I will drill out the holes and add a heat sink with adhesive pad, if the pad shows gain then I'll thermal epoxy the heat sink.... Don't think I can do much more with this machine..... Hey thanks for your input ....

Yep those are my options. Think I will drill out the holes and add a heat sink with adhesive pad, if the pad shows gain then I'll thermal epoxy the heat sink.... Don't think I can do much more with this machine..... Hey thanks for your input ....
not a prob.

just for snickers I did the hole enlargement took me three hours to drill out all the holes. if you look closely you can see the copper under the vent hole on left side. Don't believe a heat sink will fit not even a 16th of an inch space.....temp drop of about two degrees.......drilled out holes.jpg
drilled out holes.jpg
20200901_162439.jpg

just for snickers I did the hole enlargement took me three hours to drill out all the holes. if you look closely you can see the copper under the vent hole on left side. Don't believe a heat sink will fit not even a 16th of an inch space.....temp drop of about two degrees.......View attachment 279456View attachment 279456View attachment 279458
Hi there I had to share this with you friend....
..... Holy F**k I just found out that XTU can override the 10th Gen I5, 15 watt tdp limits on my laptop I set the tdp at 25 watts turbo at 30 watt. undervolted the 10210u by -80 and graphics by -50 and let her rip... Valley normally at 40-41 fps at 720 jumped to 50 FPS !! So far so crashes .. Iv'e enlarged the cooling holes in this machine running a cooling pad and an olde OPolar exhaust vacuum... notebook fan control at 100 percent temps peaking at 74C idling at 34 Unbelievable it is now equal in FPS to my AMd 2500u machine with Vega 8 graphics... 25 percent performance gain unreal......
Have a good weekend... by the way I found some really thin heatsinks on amazon to try......

..... Holy F**k I just found out that XTU can override the 10th Gen I5, 15 watt tdp limits on my laptop I set the tdp at 25 watts turbo at 30 watt. undervolted the 10210u by -80 and graphics by -50 and let her rip... Valley normally at 40-41 fps at 720 jumped to 50 FPS !! So far so crashes .. Iv'e enlarged the cooling holes in this machine running a cooling pad and an olde OPolar exhaust vacuum... notebook fan control at 100 percent temps peaking at 74C idling at 34 Unbelievable it is now equal in FPS to my AMd 2500u machine with Vega 8 graphics... 25 percent performance gain unreal......
Have a good weekend... by the way I found some really thin heatsinks on amazon to try......
nice

got my heat sink fins attached to copper plate of heat pipe unfortunately even the PI heatsinks were a little too tall attached with thermal tape. as you can see a slight further mod to laptop case Final result 74c dropped to 70 under Valley load top Fps at 1280 by 720 was 50 fps up from 40 increased undervolt to -85 fully stable so far... this machine is totally maxed 90 watt brick, 32 GB 2400 dual channel, WD 500 Nvme Black, Sandisk 4tb sata and 1 TB microsd card... I really don't believe I can mod or add anymore to this machine.........and it runs every game but at low res after all it's only a UHD620........
fins.jpg

Wat is going on here? is this for real?

Just reapply some good thermal paste and call it a day. Mobile chips are DESIGNED for hot loads. (phrasing)

Good performance a little ghetto for the heatsink but it all works fine ....... done modifying nothing more to be done...

Not enough waterblocks. I appreciate the ghettoness of it though

Last edited:
There are no water blocks they are Raspberry PI adhesive tape backed heat sinks, they are stuck to the the copper piece in the heat pipe that sits on the cpu die, Kryonaut is the thermal paste used on the copper to cpu die.. a fan cooling pad is also used... my thought was that the air being blown again the enlarged holes and the heatsink fins would drop temp under load. Under full load it does not break 70 C used to be 74.... I have thought of putting heat sinks all the way along the heat pipe to the laptop fan, but would have to do more ghetto modding the the vent holes and not sure adding more would really help.. but sometimes I go a bit psycho......

... I have thought of putting heat sinks all the way along the heat pipe to the laptop fan, but would have to do more ghetto modding the the vent holes and not sure adding more would really help.. but sometimes I go a bit psycho......

I 100% endorse this plan of action. By cutting out all those pesky little holes you have you are reducing the number of holes which should definitely give ya another 10 fps

How much voltage control do you have over the cpu/GPU?

Also what the fuck did you use to cut that hole you have now? A hammer? Do ya not have a dremel or somthing that can cut some plastic?

The one thing one learns about OEM laptops is that the thermal goop applied during assembly is a bit aggressive.
So before LTT; it was my bane/privilege to "fix" this for our users. 80% of the time for "weird" errors / thermal throttling and this was the fix.

i actually may do the more heat sinks mod eventually. as far as voltage, use Intel extreme tuning utility to turn up the TDP to 25 watts from HP stock 15 watts and set turbo at 30. Undervolt is at -85 graphics at -50. I gained 25 percent in FPS 40-41 to 50 fps... in Valley at 1280 by 720.... as I said before it's only an Integrated UHD620. I can play everything I have including Control, Mechwarrior 5, Metro Exodus etc but limited to 35-40 fps and at the lowest settings. I have seen Control and other games borrow as much as 13 GB of system memory. I do believe this 10210u I5, 10th gen mobile is hitting above its league. The machine has the Intel adaptix dynamic tuning tech and it seems to work fairly well.........

Also what the fuck did you use to cut that hole you have now? A hammer? Do ya not have a dremel or somthing that can cut some plastic?
I used a little pair of nippers... could have been neater I suppose....I do have a dremel though....

i actually may do the more heat sinks mod eventually. as far as voltage, use Intel extreme tuning utility to turn up the TDP to 25 watts from HP stock 15 watts and set turbo at 30. Undervolt is at -85 graphics at -50. I gained 25 percent in FPS 40-41 to 50 fps... in Valley at 1280 by 720.... as I said before it's only an Integrated UHD620. I can play everything I have including Control, Mechwarrior 5, Metro Exodus etc but limited to 35-40 fps and at the lowest settings. I have seen Control and other games borrow as much as 13 GB of system memory. I do believe this 10210u I5, 10th gen mobile is hitting above its league. The machine has the Intel adaptix dynamic tuning tech and it seems to work fairly well.........

Do you have direct control of clocks? If so I would definitely pull up the voltage pull up the clocks and then start cutting voltage. Does the 620 share system ram or have its own. If its shared and you can I would absalutly try to up the ram clocks or mess with the timings.

And definitely pull out the dermal for this project. As for punching above its class I am far too impressed with ryzen vega combos in low power laptops

clock control is by using powerplan only I have a registry hack that enables special boost mode no boost, enabled, enabled efficient, aggressive, efficient aggressive, etc and a couple of others I found that efficient aggressive works best the default cpu speed is 1.6 but turbo is 4.2 , the cpu goes from 29 C to 50 or more in a few seconds under load. The best bench marks are obtained by setting the minimum clock rate to zero and maximum at 100 percent if you turn on ultimate power plan you get a lower overall score. .... I also own a Zephrus G14 with 4900hs and rtx2060 maxq that is my real hardcore gaming laptop a ferrari so to speak, the I5 is my Ford..... and before I forget all graphic memory is borrowed from the 32GB of dual channel 2400 Crucial ram....laptop has no option to tweak ram in the bios....its an HP .....

clock control is by using powerplan only I have a registry hack that enables special boost mode no boost, enabled, enabled efficient, aggressive, efficient aggressive, etc and a couple of others I found that efficient aggressive works best the default cpu speed is 1.6 but turbo is 4.2 , the cpu goes from 29 C to 50 or more in a few seconds under load. The best bench marks are obtained by setting the minimum clock rate to zero and maximum at 100 percent if you turn on ultimate power plan you get a lower overall score. .... I also own a Zephrus G14 with 4900hs and rtx2060 maxq that is my real hardcore gaming laptop a ferrari so to speak, the I5 is my Ford..... and before I forget all graphic memory is borrowed from the 32GB of dual channel 2400 Crucial ram....laptop has no option to tweak ram in the bios....its an HP .....
I have thought of a better way I have a bunch of flat adhesive backed copper shims i could stick to the heat pipe. My only question is isn't the heat convection what moves the fluid in the heat pipe and would the copper shims cool it so the heat pipe might not work properly?

I have thought of a better way I have a bunch of flat adhesive backed copper shims i could stick to the heat pipe. My only question is isn't the heat convection what moves the fluid in the heat pipe and would the copper shims cool it so the heat pipe might not work properly?
not really, its like tower coolers having fins near the bottom. they will start pulling heat and then the fins at the end will pull more. in higher end laptops the pipes are bonded to a big copper sheet/shield with fins at the exhaust ports.

this is the alienware area 51m's cooler assembly
1601077460132.png

the extra copper is just extra heat dissipation

Back