Bizzare cable modem problem, anybody ever get this?

enlightenedby42

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok...so I have a really, really old Motorola SB3100 cable modem. Its from, like, 1999 or 2000 so its definitely vintage.

I have that, a router, 2007WFP, a printer, a lamp, and the rig in my sig on a surge protector (I know, UPS is on my list too), and lately I'd been noticing my modem was disconnecting ALL the time, and staying that way indefinitely.

I finally figured out that when I turned my computer off, it would reconnect and work just fine using wireless on my laptop in another room. But turn on the computer in the same surge protector, and it almost always disconnects by the time it gets done booting up. And that's even if I disconnect the LAN cable connecting the computer to the router, or the one connecting the router to the modem. The best I can figure out is that its sensitive to the power draw which shouldn't be THAT bad...its not like I have SLI'd 8800GTX's or something.

So is it just flat out time for a new modem, or do I have power issues? I would have thought that if the power were actually an issue, one of the other components would act up as well but everything else, even the lamp, works like a charm. Any suggestions? This is making me way angry. Can't be taking my intarwebs away from me.

There's a couple different things it could be, (modem, router, power, etc.) Try to narrow it down to the exact problem then you can figure out the answer.

1) Have you tried plugging the cable modem into a different outlet so it doesn't share power with the computer?

2) Have you tried hooking your computer or laptop directly to the modem, bypassing the router?

Ok...tried both of those things. Neither worked, so I went and got a brand new SB5101 cable modem by Motorola.

Lo and friggin behold...even the NEW one is doing the same stupid thing! Different outlets, connected directly to the computer, not connected to ANYTHING...

Is there something wrong with my computer/electricity? An OCZ 520 watt PSU running the machine in my sig isn't THAT bad on power is it?

This shit is infuriating...

so have you tried using your laptop with the modem for a longer periods of time? I had a somewhat similar problem with my modem which turned out to be an issue with either A. the coaxial cable it was connected to not being very well put together and not making full contact, and/or B. that my modem was getting too much power through the coaxial connection (which was fixed with the help of a friendly cable tech).

I would say try using your laptop to do everything you would with your main rig for a while and if it happens again with that it is most likely your connection not your computer. Just my two cents

Ugh. Ok, so the stupid house amplifier plugged into a remote socket in an unused room was just slightly tilted out of the outlet. Problem solved.

I feel like the monkey at the beginning of 2001 now. :rolleyes:

On the upside, buying the new modem was hardly a waste. The old one didn't support the full bandwidth and I've gone from speedtest'ing at 7k ish, to 12k ish. So maybe my lack of common sense is a blessing in disguise. Thanks for the tips.

Good call on the modem..I love my 5100...any ideas what the differences may be between yours and mine?

Good call on the modem..I love my 5100...any ideas what the differences may be between yours and mine?
yeah loving it so far! i'm not sure what the difference between the 5100 and 5101 are (maybe a very minor refresh?), but there's a $5 cheaper 5120 that supports like 32 users versus 64 on the 5101. honestly, i just got the 5101 because that's what BB (where my girl gets an employee discount) had.

from the bit of reading i did, it seems that the differences are very minor, like a ridiculous user capacity vs. an EXTREMELY ridiculous user capacity. i couldn't find any differences in the specs besides that.

the other option was a dlink, which had some awful customer ratings with regards to stability, so didn't want to risk that.

good to know there's really no reason to upgrade...I enjoy purchasing something and it simply working as intended from day one and if there's anything on my desk right now that does that (other than my speakers and maybe my external HDD) it's the modem. I also have a WRT54G v4 router than I've flashed to DD-WRT and boosted the wireless signal and it's working great now, don't know why I'd upgrade to the D-Link DGL-4300 now

Back