Bizarre VR Game of the Day: Limberjack

HardOCP News

[H] News
We've run across some pretty bizarre VR games in our time but I think this is the very first VR lumberjack game I've ever seen. I think they should kick this whole thing up a notch and make it a zombie chainsaw slasher or Friday the 13th game. We should make Kyle test it for our VR Leaderboard. ;)

Known to chainsaw-wielding loggers around the world as ‘limbing’, the art of stripping felled trees of their branches is exciting, but very dangerous. Welcome to Limberjack! Grab your Husqvarna chainsaw, and pursue your dream of becoming the undisputed greatest limber alive.

I think I need help...I was hoping for him to turn and saw his friends clappy limbs off.

make pvp like day-z meets texas chainsaw..
one person is the texas chainsaw, the other are survivors..

Earlier today I heard on the scanner that someone a town over from mine just amputated his left foot with a chainsaw. No thanks. :eek:

Saw this...it's just an ad like the IKEA experience.

Doesn't really even look that fun...if you could do a bunch of free form cuts and/or physics games it would be better.

See what happens when you open source game engines and make them easy to do things? Marketing companies pounce on he opportunity to shovel adware. This is why we can't have anything nice.

It was probably more of a reaction in here from the people that all seem to think they can do a better job at this than him.

See what happens when you open source game engines and make them easy to do things? Marketing companies pounce on he opportunity to shovel adware. This is why we can't have anything nice.

We've been having shitty marketing driven games for a long time, isn't it nice that they have a decent engine? :)

If anyone actually wants to play/do this. I have a real one and a wood shed to fill. I'll even throw in Log Splitter and Wood Stacker for free! ;)

Even when so many reality shows on TV amount to "People who have jobs doing their jobs" and "People who have jobs doing their jobs AND IT'S COLD OUTSIDE" there is nothing that should surprise us.

The Germans still set the bar for mind-numbing "entertainment".

lfFoH9U.png

Earlier today I heard on the scanner that someone a town over from mine just amputated his left foot with a chainsaw. No thanks. :eek:

Not even sure how you would do that unless you are being super careless/don't know what you are doing and/or drunk/high out of your mind while using a chainsaw.

Yes, I have a chainsaw.

The chain on that chainsaw doesn't even look like a chainsaw chain. Looks like a bicycle chain with spikes on it... Would NEVER work for actual wood cutting. All it would do is leave some scratches in the wood.

Not even sure how you would do that unless you are being super careless/don't know what you are doing and/or drunk/high out of your mind while using a chainsaw.

Yes, I have a chainsaw.
I was wondering the same though my experience using a chainsaw is limited. Still, I was extremely cautious whenever using it. They asked for Medflight to pick the guy up but they had to cancel due to high winds. I wonder if they could re-attach the foot? Probably depends on the damage (insert picture of shredded beef here). Ugh. :inpain:

Back on topic: I wonder if they will have a Collector's edition that contains a replica chainsaw controller?

Yes, I have a chainsaw.

Easiest thing in the world, people don't take care of their gear and the chain starts to cut slower and slower. You're chasing and the chain bottoms the branch faster than you expected or the log rolls and the saw skips off. Zip zop zam, you got no toes on one foot. I've seen people processing firewood in slippers, Crocs, and even bare feet.

I build log homes for a living, chainsaws are kind of my go-to tool. I've seen some great stuff from the newbies and the home-gamers. People + Chainsaws = Hilarious Stupidity.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Obligatory: "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay! I work all night and I sleep all day!"

Easiest thing in the world, people don't take care of their gear and the chain starts to cut slower and slower. You're chasing and the chain bottoms the branch faster than you expected or the log rolls and the saw skips off. Zip zop zam, you got no toes on one foot. I've seen people processing firewood in slippers, Crocs, and even bare feet.

I build log homes for a living, chainsaws are kind of my go-to tool. I've seen some great stuff from the newbies and the home-gamers. People + Chainsaws = Hilarious Stupidity.

So basically they are being careless AND not taking care of their equipment AND don't know what they are doing.

Darwin awards were made for people like this.

Oh, and the newer super light plastic chainsaws are just an accident waiting to happen. Not enough weight to help prevent kickback.

My current chainsaw is a McCulloch Pro MAC 10-10 from the 80s. All metal. And even with a semi-chisel chain, when it catches on stuff, there is basically no kickback because the thing is so heavy.

And that brings me to another point. so called "safety chains" are dangerous IMO. First chainsaw I had, had a "safety" chain on it. Thing was a pain to cut with, and it made me think I needed to apply more force to get it to cut.

Semi-chisel chains on the other hand.. pure awesome. When sharp, they cut super fast. I have actually thought about getting a full-chisel chain, but not sure if I want to actually have the chainsaw possibly have some kickback if it catches on something.

like this
So basically they are being careless AND not taking care of their equipment AND don't know what they are doing.

Darwin awards were made for people like this.

Oh, and the newer super light plastic chainsaws are just an accident waiting to happen. Not enough weight to help prevent kickback.

My current chainsaw is a McCulloch Pro MAC 10-10 from the 80s. All metal. And even with a semi-chisel chain, when it catches on stuff, there is basically no kickback because the thing is so heavy.

And that brings me to another point. so called "safety chains" are dangerous IMO. First chainsaw I had, had a "safety" chain on it. Thing was a pain to cut with, and it made me think I needed to apply more force to get it to cut.

Semi-chisel chains on the other hand.. pure awesome. When sharp, they cut super fast. I have actually thought about getting a full-chisel chain, but not sure if I want to actually have the chainsaw possibly have some kickback if it catches on something.

Yes and yes.

Nah, the Darwin awards are for way more extravagant ways to kill yourself. Stupid yes, but not enough pizazz for a Darwin.

I have a soft spot for STIHL because they stay so clean when you use them all day. I don't need to spend hours cleaning shmoo out of my equipment multiple times every day. Kick back really isn't an issue if you have the time to keep the chain sharp and know your tools. Honestly, the biggest safety hazard with our work isn't falling, or saws, or logs landing on you. It's the same thing as it is in more heavy industry and construction, it's fatigue. 8-14 hours with a heavy saw is an accident waiting to happen, we work long days to make every moment of the summer count, but I make my crews put the amputation-type gear away after a certain number of hours each day, using heavy saws would shorten that work-day.

I don't like the "low-kickback" chains either. They're slow and the surface is never very tidy if you use your saw to dress a dovetail (there are several warnings about using your saw this way in most manuals). Most of the bars we use are too long for safety chains, I'm not going to build chains I don't like using so they can just stay in the warehouse. I use square chisel chains, the cut is vastly faster and much cleaner, but they're a bit tricky to file. I have a contractor tour around my three crews a couple of times each week, he takes care of the annoying shit and the tools my little platoon of gorillas have bent, twisted, snapped, cut, rounded, dulled, shattered, submerged (while running), or in one case exploded (not while running).

like this
Limbing isn't too dangerous if you know at least a little about what you're doing. A smaller saw makes it safer, less kickback if you fuck something up and easier to position if your arms are not used to holding one all day.
Pro tip: don't cut with the tip of the saw like they are doing in VR..

Start small also.. seen so many hire the 'big saw' and they have no idea. You'd be amazed at what a small saw can do, just don't over tax it. And vice versa E.g. An MS290 is overkill for limbing..

Limbing isn't too dangerous if you know at least a little about what you're doing. A smaller saw makes it safer, less kickback if you fuck something up and easier to position if your arms are not used to holding one all day.
Pro tip: don't cut with the tip of the saw like they are doing in VR..

Start small also.. seen so many hire the 'big saw' and they have no idea. You'd be amazed at what a small saw can do, just don't over tax it. And vice versa E.g. An MS290 is overkill for limbing..

What the hell am I reading?

A man does not use just the "right" tool for the job.

More power more better.

That is exactly why YouTube was invented! All real man (manly?) videos start with something along the lines of 'hold my beer'... :D

Back