BitTorrent Survey Finds Users Are Avid, Eclectic Content Buyers

HardOCP News

[H] News
This survey, conducted by BitTorrent, finds that its users are "avid and eclectic content buyers." Coincidentally, the survey also revealed that most BitTorrent users are handsome, successful, wealthy and popular with the ladies too. ;)

A new study carried out by BitTorrent Inc. has found that the company's users aren't the freeloaders they're often made out to be. The study found that BitTorrent users are 170% more likely to have paid for digital music in the past six months and are 8x more likely to have a music streaming account when compared to the average Internet user.

People who consume lots of pirated media also buy lots of media? Shocking :eek: :p

I wonder what percentage of pirated media is stuff that's not readily available through regular channels at reasonable rates.

Specifically, old TV shows & movies, current TV shows that people missed, stuff not released in some countries, etc.

You mean the guys who have:
  • Massive CD / DVD / Blu Ray collections
  • Giant TVs and Awesome Home Theaters
  • PCs, Consoles, handhelds, smartphones, tablets
  • Nerdy obsessive pop culture tastes

spend a lot of money on STUFF? It's NOT my mother who thinks the computer is for email and facebook only?

I AM SHOCKED I SAY - SHOCKED! :D

Devs should just make high quality rips of their movies, games, CDs. Then include a file that's an ad for all the nerdy stuff that goes along with it - collector's editions with cool overpriced thingies. Then upload it to trackers.

Pirate nerds gonna be all - "damn this [whatever] is awesome - I need bobblehead toys for my desk, a custom cover/case for my handheld/phone, and that collector's edition with the cool poster.

Every single person I know who avidly pirates spends 100X more money on the "industry" than the average person.

Must be mistaken, white knights around here would have you believe that pirates are utter scum who have never purchased media in their life, and in fact go out of their way to screw over media developers.

:rolleyes: :p

"Avid and eclectic"

Does that mean those are the type of people who purchase content anywhere? Even if they are sitting on the bathroom throne? :p

Quite obvious that the results were manipulated by BitTorrent. You'd have to be ignorant, stupid, AND ugly to believe this.

Devs should just make high quality rips of their movies, games, CDs. Then include a file that's an ad for all the nerdy stuff that goes along with it - collector's editions with cool overpriced thingies. Then upload it to trackers.

Pirate nerds gonna be all - "damn this [whatever] is awesome - I need bobblehead toys for my desk, a custom cover/case for my handheld/phone, and that collector's edition with the cool poster.

Every single person I know who avidly pirates spends 100X more money on the "industry" than the average person.

You should pitch this idea...I legitimate think it has merit.

So basically I learned that people with money to their name, behave like people with money to their name.

That sounds cool and all, and I believe it (even before this "study") but a company doing a study to make itself look better.... somehow seems a lot less credible.

I think it's true, from my own life experience. Back in the day my friends used to copy and share music cassettes, VHS tapes, floppy disks, etc. Those same people continue to spend a significant portion of their income on legal or non-pirated media, to this day. I know I do. Piracy is really only about "stealing" to a smaller portion of people, a smaller portion of the time, than some would like for you to believe. Namely those in control who would like to remain in control.

Back