BitTorrent Hit 100 Million Monthly Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy cow, BitTorrent has 100 million active users a month!?!? That's a whole lot of Linux distros being shared! :D

uTorrent’s parent company BitTorrent Inc. just announced that the BitTorrent Mainline client and uTorrent combined have hit the milestone of 100 million monthly users. On an average day 20 million users from over 220 countries fire up one of the two BitTorrent clients. If that’s not enough, the company also reports that 400,000 new clients are downloaded every day.

Ah! I see my efforts to educate my family and friends on how to use BitTorrent are showing. Has anyone else had luck explaining how to use Torrents to people who are used to the interfaces of Napster and Kazaa?

"No, you have to DOWNLOAD the torrent file first, then you download the files you want through the torrent program."

Any good analogies for the concept of BitTorrent?

Imagine if the Entertainment industry decided to charge everyone $5 per month for all-you-can-download content via bittorrent instead of trying to sue the crap out of everyone.

I would pay $5 per month to legally download anything and everything I wanted and use it on any device I choose.

in the next press release... RIAA and MPAA are going to say....

"Piracy is killing us!!! Our songs and movies are being downloaded 100 million times a month."

Ah BitTorrent, where I get my unlimited trial versions of software.

Of course I'm talking about Linux.

Imagine if the Entertainment industry decided to charge everyone $5 per month for all-you-can-download content via bittorrent instead of trying to sue the crap out of everyone.

I would pay $5 per month to legally download anything and everything I wanted and use it on any device I choose.

I would too though I highly doubt it would be that low but for the cost of say some cable packages ($30-40) I'd be interested especially if it included tv shows right after air time :D

pfft, amateurs...
I still steal my media the old fashion way.. Gun, ski mask, backpack

I wonder how freeleech works. All those Linux and OpenOffice distros being shared must make Mr. Torvald feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Ah! I see my efforts to educate my family and friends on how to use BitTorrent are showing. Has anyone else had luck explaining how to use Torrents to people who are used to the interfaces of Napster and Kazaa?

"No, you have to DOWNLOAD the torrent file first, then you download the files you want through the torrent program."

Just like nzb files for binaries ;)

Since Azuras or whatever it's called went down hill there really hasn't been any clean interface client except for utorrent to run.

It might help them if you can set it to automatically open the torrent file in the program (and have the program save the torrent itself), rather than saving it. A lot of people get confused by "saving" anything, let alone having to find and "run" the file. If it's not on the desktop it's in some mysterious world that only the geek can gain access to. :p

pfft, amateurs...
I still steal my media the old fashion way.. Gun, ski mask, backpack

Alright I get it but, I am tired of people using this false analogy.

People stealing games and videos online DO NOT KNOW ITS ILLEGAL sometimes. They see a link, it says nothing about it being illegal, there is no Windows warning sayings its illegal, etc. How is the law going to determine if the person knew the video they are watching is illegal? If someone has a link on some forum for "hey watch the new batman movie stream at this link its sweet".... why would I not watch it if its cheaper/free? It is there, its free, it doesn't have any warnings about being illegal.

But now............ if you are Robbing a store with what you say "gun, mask, backpack", you know damn well you are stealing it so there's no denying it.

In my honest opinion, the companies need to hire some technical gurus and work a way to protect their work from being pirated..... things and times have changed and they are leaving their work out in the open obviously for people to take. The only thing we've seen is DRM and that is a failure for the most part

Clearly this is 1/3 of America trying to steal the poor music and movie studios profits!:eek:

Sadly this will probably make the RIAA/MPAA only try harder to sue people.

Well hot damn, this could beat the $1.65 Trillion in damages the RIAA claimed against AllofMP3

100 Million a month x 12 months x $150,000 per infringment = $180,000,000,000,000 in lost revenue in one year. Makes sense?
Haha exactly! Cause we all know that people who torrent, were intending to purchase, in full price, the product in the first place. Netflix works because it is a compromise between the consumer and the producers. I get to watch my movies at faster than torrent speed, but have to pay a fairly minimal monthly fee. DRM is basically a Lose/Lose/Lose situation, consumers lose, producers lose, and I lose for trying to mediate everything :(

Back