BitTorrent Hit 100 Million Monthly Users

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jan 3, 2011.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Holy cow, BitTorrent has 100 million active users a month!?!? That's a whole lot of Linux distros being shared! :D

2. R4CK3R

R4CK3R [H]Lite

Ah! I see my efforts to educate my family and friends on how to use BitTorrent are showing. Has anyone else had luck explaining how to use Torrents to people who are used to the interfaces of Napster and Kazaa?

"No, you have to DOWNLOAD the torrent file first, then you download the files you want through the torrent program."

Any good analogies for the concept of BitTorrent?

3. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

Not just linux don't forget open office :D

4. Draiko

Draiko Limp Gawd

Imagine if the Entertainment industry decided to charge everyone $5 per month for all-you-can-download content via bittorrent instead of trying to sue the crap out of everyone.

I would pay $5 per month to legally download anything and everything I wanted and use it on any device I choose.

5. hesho

hesho Limp Gawd

in the next press release... RIAA and MPAA are going to say....

"Piracy is killing us!!! Our songs and movies are being downloaded 100 million times a month."

6. loki7

loki7 Limp Gawd

Ah BitTorrent, where I get my unlimited trial versions of software.

Of course I'm talking about Linux.

7. apuppy0384

apuppy0384 n00b

I would too though I highly doubt it would be that low but for the cost of say some cable packages ($30-40) I'd be interested especially if it included tv shows right after air time :D

8. TheGeekFreek

TheGeekFreek [H]ardness Supreme

pfft, amateurs...
    I still steal my media the old fashion way.. Gun, ski mask, backpack

9. Terry Olaes

Terry Olaes I Used to be the [H] News Guy

I wonder how freeleech works. All those Linux and OpenOffice distros being shared must make Mr. Torvald feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

10. Greenstuffs

Greenstuffs Limp Gawd

Just like nzb files for binaries ;)

11. BladeVenom

BladeVenom [H]ardness Supreme

With 2 billion people on the internet, I'm surprised it isn't higher.

12. Talic

Talic Limp Gawd

Since Azuras or whatever it's called went down hill there really hasn't been any clean interface client except for utorrent to run.

13. travbrad

travbrad [H]ard|Gawd

It might help them if you can set it to automatically open the torrent file in the program (and have the program save the torrent itself), rather than saving it. A lot of people get confused by "saving" anything, let alone having to find and "run" the file. If it's not on the desktop it's in some mysterious world that only the geek can gain access to. :p

14. Dylan80

Dylan80 [H]ard|Gawd

Alright I get it but, I am tired of people using this false analogy.

People stealing games and videos online DO NOT KNOW ITS ILLEGAL sometimes. They see a link, it says nothing about it being illegal, there is no Windows warning sayings its illegal, etc. How is the law going to determine if the person knew the video they are watching is illegal? If someone has a link on some forum for "hey watch the new batman movie stream at this link its sweet".... why would I not watch it if its cheaper/free? It is there, its free, it doesn't have any warnings about being illegal.

But now............ if you are Robbing a store with what you say "gun, mask, backpack", you know damn well you are stealing it so there's no denying it.

In my honest opinion, the companies need to hire some technical gurus and work a way to protect their work from being pirated..... things and times have changed and they are leaving their work out in the open obviously for people to take. The only thing we've seen is DRM and that is a failure for the most part

15. H@RD5

H@RD5 Gawd

Clearly this is 1/3 of America trying to steal the poor music and movie studios profits!:eek:

16. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Sadly this will probably make the RIAA/MPAA only try harder to sue people.

17. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

18. Michael Scarn

Michael Scarn [H]Lite

Haha exactly! Cause we all know that people who torrent, were intending to purchase, in full price, the product in the first place. Netflix works because it is a compromise between the consumer and the producers. I get to watch my movies at faster than torrent speed, but have to pay a fairly minimal monthly fee. DRM is basically a Lose/Lose/Lose situation, consumers lose, producers lose, and I lose for trying to mediate everything :(