Bittorrent download speeds

recursive

Weaksauce
I use BitComet and I've done all the portforwarding and allowing access through window's firewall, capping the upload rate at 80% my uploadrate and changed the half-opened connection limit to 50. ul rate when i tested it was 470kbps. I divided that by 8 to get its kb/s and multiplied my .8 to find that 80% sweetspot.

Now I just wanted to know if my average download speeds, which are usually 50-100kb/s a good download speed or should i be getting better speeds? And what are the ideal download rates?

And if anyone else uses bitcomet (or any other torrent client for that matter), what kind of download rates are you getting?

It depends heavily on the torrent. to test it out, try to find a torrent that is professionally hosted, such as a linux distro or (for azureus) and update ditributed by torrent. Alterntely, any torrent with more then 2k seeds and less than 1k peers should pump your pipe full of data

I have gotten anywhere from 5-50KBps on most of my torrents, and have only had 2 (out of several dozen) that could saturate my fairly standard (1.5mbps) connection.

Another thing to consider is your router. All of the routing involved with BT can take a serious toll on lasser routers. Get a good linksys, or other powerful router (read reviews to see what gets the best throughput).

Back