Bitmain to release Antminer F3 Ethereum ASIC miner with 72GB DDR3

Discussion in 'Mining & Cryptocurrency' started by pclausen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, but you're stuck mining Siacoin. Nobody in their right mind has been mining Sia with a 1080Ti for a long time now. How much are you currently making a day with your A3?

2. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

Right at this moment $36 a day. It ranges from $35-$40 typically.

I recently put a VERY slight overclock on the A3 (this past weekend). 600mhz to 619Mhz. It's been stable, temps are indifferent, and hash rate is up to 850,000 now.
    https://whattomine.com/coins/161-sc...00&fee=3&cost=.06&hcost=2750&commit=Calculate

Here's my stat page.
    https://siamining.com/addresses/277...5a9f18c9f38151a767ae03725548339d243653ace7c8c

3. pclausen

pclausen Limp Gawd

That's pretty good. Bitmain have them for sale and in stock at $980.

My S9's are down to right around $10/day right now. I paid $1,430 for each of those. They were doing about what you're getting right now on your A3 when I first brought them online back in late December.

I guess the big question is, how long before the A3 will be down to under $10/day?

4. Archaea

Yeah - I don't think I'll ROI on this A3 unless SIA coin goes up.

5. Archaea

6. Archaea

This guy was... :O

7. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Thus the "...in their right mind...".

Even better, he was dual mining Eth and Sia. Talk about out of the loop.

8. Archaea

hehe - if you keep reading down - he's like oh well then. I guess I'll move to ETH + DCR

countdown to next similar thread with DCR in 3 months. :)

(DCR is getting a asic soon too)

9. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

This right here is incredibly foolish to even think.

10. Elkwood

Elkwood Limp Gawd

Wonder how much its going to cost. Seems with memory prices its going to be a pretty penny.

11. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

would ddr3 (not ever gddr3) have enough bandwidth for eth mining?

12. Derfnofred

Derfnofred Limp Gawd

Depends on how many channels you pull it out to. Really you are just stacking asic+memory modules, so those need to be sized to each other optimally. Then parallel modules. Large number of parallel asics = very very wide pipe (in essence) = high bandwidth capability.

13. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

practically, no. but if you have enough channels it doesnt matter

14. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

So one of the most recent cards I can think of with DDR3 is the hd 7750 2gb. DDR3 at 1600mhz and a 128 bit bus provides 25gb/s. So I don’t know if my math is correct, but you would need like 2048 bit bus to get 200gb/s.

15. cpuspeed

cpuspeed Limp Gawd

seriously? does no one read what I post. feel like a ghost.

read previous page for DDR3 answers.

cdabc123 likes this.
  16. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

maybe everyone blocked ya :p

17. d.v.

d.v. [H]Lite

hang on to your amd cards. even if this came true, it would not be too late to sell them to gamers.

18. Xaeos

Xaeos [H]ardness Supreme

Really disappointed. I'd hope that ETH, as I understood it, was basically resistant for ASIC to the point it wasn't worth it to create one. As far as I'm concerned, ASICs are pretty much a virus when it comes to just about any crypto today - they often cost a relative fortune ensuring only those with a significant amount to invest get ahold of them, they skyrocket the difficulty to the point that anyone NOT using an ASIC very soon will no longer be viable, they're developed and fabricated in a proprietary manner (often the developer can pick a late ship date and run them privately to max profit before selling them which also gives them potential for "insider trading" of sorts, plus meaning that those who do buy them may never/take a long time for ROI etc), and are generally yet another tool to ensure that a relative few can profit damn everyone else and damn the crypto ecosystem as a whole. I am to understand it is even worse given that this is Bitmain who are somewhat of a monopoly.

I really hope this does not come to pass - it was disappointing enough to see X11 type algo fall to ASIC but even those like ETH... it really sours the experience

19. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

weird the filter still showed his post in your quotes.

20. mkrohn

mkrohn 2[H]4U

it wasn't worth creating an asic... until it hit $1k

Dude I bought some CPU's to bitcoin mine with back in the day. GPU's wrecked the good ole days.

Parja likes this.
  21. Archaea

not sure that's the case.

They built one for Sia coin and the highest it's ever been historically is 10 cents

(it does often trade in the top 25 by volume - and I'd guess that's a better soft target for an asic)

22. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

ETH is very resistant to asics. this is fud

profitability didnt really increase that muhc. its about the same now as it was when i was mining last november @ $8 a coin

doublejack likes this.
  23. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

You've made a bad assumption. Actually a couple of them.

First, just because CPU -> GPU -> ASIC was the progression for bitcoin does not mean that is the natural progression for ALL cryptocurrencies. SHA256 is not X11, which in turn is not Blake2b, which in turn is not Ethash, which in turn is not Cryptonight. Not every problem can be solved with a hammer. The latter two algorithms, in particular, were deliberately chosen because building an ASIC that can solve them efficiently is nigh impossible with current technology. If bitmain wants to throw money down that rabbit hole, then go ahead. I'll be betting against them.

The other bad assumption you've made is that ASICs are the end game. Nope, that's just where we are now for SHA256 and other "solved" algorithms. Quantum computing will, someday, change the game in a far more profound way than ASICs ever have.

There's already an ASIC-esque device for Decred. It is the Baikal Giant B. It is really an FGPA and not a true ASIC, but either way it lays waste to what a GPU can do. I used to dual mine ETH and DCR. That ship sailed a month ago when the Giant B started showing up in the wild.

In all reality, though, Decred has not been great to mine with a GPU for a good 2-3 months. Even before the Giant B hit the market, it was clear that someone or something was "testing" far more powerful miners. The DCR network hashrate would sporadically see huge spikes, and all of it was solo miners. There's a video on youtube I saw a couple weeks ago of someone testing a DCR ASIC. We can't buy one, yet, but the creators of them are already using them, and reaping the benefit of it.

Why? Please enlighten me.

Ethash is incredibly memory intensive. So either bitmain is going to defy the laws of physics and make a better Ethash calculator using slower / cheaper memory, or like I said anything they come up with will - at best - be on par with GPUs at it.

I'd love to hear why you think that's a foolish thought.

24. Nebell

Nebell Gawd

Isn't RoI on A3 about 2.5months with the current SIA price?

25. Archaea

At this precise moment yes.

But we’ll see what happens when the next batch of a3s comes out on March 15th and doubles (or more) difficulty.

Of course the ROI also depends on siacoin value. I’ve been holding all mine. I have 31,000 right now as a a3 batch one owner.

Nebell likes this.