bitcomet causing unstable connection

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's my situation. I didn't start having issues until last night and I haven't changed any settings to make it happen. I started downloading a few torrents and then my AIM kept disconnecting and my general connection seemed unstable. I had many pings open, one to my router, one to my isp's gateway, and one to google and all were going just perfectly. This morning, I thought to close bitcomet and the problem immediately went away. I've never had this problem before, but I noticed that I was having so so so many connections open (netstat runs for a minute or so). I then remembered the windows xp sp2 tcp connection maximum so i fixed that and rebooted. Same situation. It's a little better if I only let it download one torrent at a time instead of say 2,3,4,5, or 6, but it still is a problem, and never was before. I've been using bitcomet for a long time now and have downloaded many torrents at once before too. I'm behind a router and not dmz, although I use port forwarding to get the necessary ports over. Any idea what's going on? I have tcp max set to 50 right now from the standard 10.

The number of connections that bittorrent makes easily overwhelms a lot of consumer routers, so that could be the problem. Try setting lower max connections and global connections for the torrent client and see if that helps.

hmm that would make a lot of sense since i have a ssh connection to another computer behind the router and that never breaks. strange how i never had problems with the router before. thanks

bitcomet breaks working connections and reconnects in order to get better download speeds. you might want to try a different bittorent client that puts less of a strain on the router. i suggest utorrent

what type of router do you have anyways?

Back