Bitcoin Slide Continues Towards $8K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fine it interesting is miners claim "hey dont hate us were not causing the shortage", then no one believes them and then they brag to the same people how they just bought 50 cards.

I fine it interesting is miners claim "hey dont hate us were not causing the shortage", then no one believes them and then they brag to the same people how they just bought 50 cards.
They bought 50 while others cant buy one. Hmmmm

Profits are lowest I’ve seen right now. I can see miners holding out and mining for certain coins for future profits or belief in them. Eventually if current rates continue to hold or go down further, cards will be sold and cards should start coming back in stores fast.

As for miners can’t be satisfied is a false generalization, some maybe, many of us do it small time and have no desire to fill up ware houses full of gaming cards.

The crypto bubble can't pop soon enough as far as I'm concerned. At the end of the day there will be one (maybe two) currencies which endure, and an incredible amount of wasted energy.

The bubble popped a while ago. Open your eyes, inform yourselves before you start commenting.
Bitcoin is not in a bubble. Altcoins were. Most of them lost 80-90% of value since early-mid January.
But hey I guess it's lazier to just be ignorant and uninformed.

People in this thread act like not owning the latest GPU makes it impossible to play any games period.

People in this thread act like not owning the latest GPU makes it impossible to play any games period.

Hardly. My 960 is still pretty solid for most games, just can't do high settings. I'd still like to grab a 1060, but I'm not paying more than $350+!

Hardly. My 960 is still pretty solid for most games, just can't do high settings. I'd still like to grab a 1060, but I'm not paying more than $350+!

can get a used one on ebay for 335 pretty easily. 3gb models even less.

It's hilarious how butt hurt the video game players are about not being able to get video cards as cheaply as they'd like. Sorry you can't play your video games faster for less money than the market commands.

Video games. So people can pretend they're fighting in a war or driving a car or whatever the Hell video games are. Join the army and fight in a real war. Get a real car. And quit buying up all the video cards so miners can solidify a future for us with decentralized cyptocurrencies.

Sorry you can't play your video games faster for less money than the market commands.
sorry the miners have driven up the price? gamers cant buy, builders cant buy, yet you wonder why people are upset by miners bragging about buying a case of gpus for their new setup.

It's hilarious how butt hurt the video game players are about not being able to get video cards as cheaply as they'd like. Sorry you can't play your video games faster for less money than the market commands.

Video games. So people can pretend they're fighting in a war or driving a car or whatever the Hell video games are. Join the army and fight in a real war. Get a real car. And quit buying up all the video cards so miners can solidify a future for us with decentralized cyptocurrencies.
Ironic, someone could just as easily say get a real job and make real products instead of creating fake money out of what is essentially a giant pyramid scheme.

sorry the miners have driven up the price? gamers cant buy, builders cant buy, yet you wonder why people are upset by miners bragging about buying a case of gpus for their new setup.

Why is it that the miners can buy cards but the people who want to play their video games faster can't?

You start with "butt hurt" and get more ridiculous from there...and then wonder why miners have a bad name? o_O

Ironic, someone could just as easily say get a real job and make real products instead of creating fake money out of what is essentially a giant pyramid scheme.

If you hate them so much then why are you concerned with them falling for a scam?

Guys, it's getting old. I can't read through a thread on this news forum without some one wanting to play their video games faster complaining about crypto currencies. The derogatory terms video game players here use and the general bile they have for crypto currency fans is getting old fast. I don't see the miners expressing such vitriol for video game players.

Just to clarify (man these silly comparisons are out of hand), video gaming is a form of entertainment. From your comments, I take it you despise entertainment. Just FYI, most people do not.

Newer, faster video cards are not always about playing a game faster. Try playing most games on a 4K monitor. Yeah,..see,...there is that. Takes more muscle to play at the same visual levels at 4K, than it did at HD resolution. Quite a bit more. Of course, if the world would stop increasing the resolution of monitors, then cryptocrazies could suck up the hardware and burn through unsustainable resources at a faster rate, as gamers would not require higher end video cards, or could make do with what they have.

Yes, we should support the race to who can use the most electricity. Our future depends on it.

Do I need a sarcasm emoji for those last two sentences?

Last edited:
Just to clarify (man these silly comparisons are out of hand), video gaming is a form of entertainment. From your comments, I take it you despise entertainment. Just FYI, most people do not.

Newer, faster video cards are not always about playing a game faster. Try playing most games on a 4K monitor. Yeah,..see,...there is that. Takes more muscle to play at the same visual levels at 4K, than it did at HD resolution. Quite a bit more. Of course, if the world would stop increasing the resolution of monitors, then cryptocrazies could suck up the hardware and burn through unstainable resources at a faster rate, as gamers would not require higher end video cards, or could make do with what they have.

Yes, we should support the race to who can use the most eletricity. Our future depends on it.

Do I need a sarcasm emoji for those last two sentences?

I don't despise entertainment. I do despise video games. In our language are video games and entertainment synonymous?

Are the miners using more natural resources than the operators of motor vehicles? Do you have a campaign against motor vehicles? Are you also a proponent of train freight over long haul trucking? The natural resource usage argument against mining seems a bit flimsy to me. Especially as it's most likely coming from people who drive cars, don't source all consumables from local and sustainable sources, etc.

I don't despise entertainment. I do despise video games. In our language are video games and entertainment synonymous?

Are the miners using more natural resources than the operators of motor vehicles? Do you have a campaign against motor vehicles? Are you also a proponent of train freight over long haul trucking? The natural resource usage argument against mining seems a bit flimsy to me. Especially as it's most likely coming from people who drive cars, don't source all consumables from local and sustainable sources, etc.

Fair question. For me, and I feel comfotable saying this, and problably most people who play games, it is a form of entertainment.

Terrible comparisons. Hard to use comparisons as mining uses energy with no direct coorelation to a benefit. Example to clarify. Mining crunches numbers, but it is not solving anything. The indirect benefit of earning coins is only useful to the one person running the operation. I cannot think of a decent comparison.

The car has a direct benefit. The car is only used, when needed, and not running all the time. The car can transport more than one person, or any number of other objects. There is the immediate benefit of being able to move from point A to point B. There is also health benefits. Ambulances.

Yes, the car uses an unstainable resource, but there is no race to see who can use more of that resource. Quite the opposite, if you believe all the marketing noise.

Good lord, enough with the hair-splitting.

Cars, however dangerous, serve a purpose. Video games, however much one may or may not enjoy them, serve a purpose. The only purpose cytpocurrencies presently serve is as a vehicle for speculation. Whether that changes in the future remains to be seen. What doesn't remain to be seen, however, is the power consumption, which is observable, quantifiable, and non-trivial.

If someone has a card die in their rig that is older, they are paying $600 for a new low end card and not high end. I think that where everyone is up in arms. I'm fine right now with my 3.5 yr old 980Ti but I can see where people are pissed.

I think it's safe to say that for most people around here who mine crypto currencies it's a form of entertainment. As has been pointed out so thoroughly one can easily earn similar amounts of money working a menial job. If that's how some people get their druthers, who cares? I'm seriously curious. Why would anyone care if another person likes to tinker with crypto currencies in their free time? The only reason I can see is that they're upset that they can't get video cards for playing video games for as low a price as they want. I honestly don't believe that everyone who points the "cryptocrazy" finger is concerned primarily, or even tangentially, with natural resource consumption.

If someone has a card die in their rig that is older, they are paying $600 for a new low end card and not high end. I think that where everyone is up in arms. I'm fine right now with my 3.5 yr old 980Ti but I can see where people are pissed.

$350 easily gets a 1060 6gb. What low end card costs $600?

I think it's safe to say that for most people around here who mine crypto currencies it's a form of entertainment. As has been pointed out so thoroughly one can easily earn similar amounts of money working a menial job. If that's how some people get their druthers, who cares? I'm seriously curious. Why would anyone care if another person likes to tinker with crypto currencies in their free time? The only reason I can see is that they're upset that they can't get video cards for playing video games for as low a price as they want. I honestly don't believe that everyone who points the "cryptocrazy" finger is concerned primarily, or even tangentially, with natural resource consumption.

You are looking a small subset of people with a focus.

Try these people: people who build computers for a living (more than one is shutting down), people who make videos for a living, people who do finite element analysis for a living, people who create 3D art for a living, and I am sure there are more. None of them are happy they cannot get a high end video card for a reasonable price.

Good lord, enough with the hair-splitting.

Cars, however dangerous, serve a purpose. Video games, however much one may or may not enjoy them, serve a purpose. The only purpose cytpocurrencies presently serve is as a vehicle for speculation. Whether that changes in the future remains to be seen. What doesn't remain to be seen, however, is the power consumption, which is observable, quantifiable, and non-trivial.

That's ridiculous. Even as a vehicle for speculation whether or not it ever amounts to anything more is already serving more of a purpose than a video game. The only real value of video games is entertainment. And who are you to say that people aren't entertained as a hobby by building new computers and tweaking them to find optimal hash rates all while making a few bucks?

All I've seen from your numerous ramblings in multiple threads is that YOU don't like crypto currencies. You don't have to keep reminding us.

$350 easily gets a 1060 6gb. What low end card costs $600?

That's +$100 over MSRP, at a cost that used to buy a 1070... I was lucky to get a MSI Armor 1060 6gb when I did for $250, but for someone that NEEDS a gaming card. It makes little sense to buy a 1060 right now. The only cards unaffected by the prices for the most part are GTX 1050 and RX 560. If your going to spend on a gaming card, either go big, go tiny and deal or wait. Middle ground on a 1060 at $350 makes no sense IMO. You can find a 1070 for that with a little effort

You are looking a small subset of people with a focus.

Try these people: people who build computers for a living (more than one is shutting down), people who make videos for a living, people who do finite element analysis for a living, people who create 3D art for a living, and I am sure there are more. None of them are happy they cannot get a high end video card for a reasonable price.

I appreciate that these are expensive devices and that some people need and want them. I want and need all kinds of things for both personal and professional purposes that I can't afford due to their costs being higher than possible as a result of demand. I'm not ranting and attacking people about it though. How is this any different?

Also much of the hate I see surrounding folks who are fans of crypto currencies stems from opinions: It's time to let it go and keep it to yourselves. I personally think that video games are a plague and can't fathom why anyone would spend time playing them but I'm not slandering the people who play them publicly.

That's ridiculous. You can't possibly say that video games serve a purpose and then bash crypto currencies. Even as a vehicle for speculation whether or not it ever amounts to anything more is already serving more of a purpose than a video game. The only real value of video games is entertainment. And who are you to say that people aren't entertained as a hobby by building new computers and tweaking them to find optimal hash rates all while making a few bucks?
Some people probably are, but those aren't the ones consuming the lion's share of either the power or the hardware. I assure you, industrial-scale mining operations aren't doing it for "entertainment." They speculating, pure and simple, and doing so in a manner that is both wasteful and destructive. Note, however, at no point am I suggesting than anything should be done about it. But I have no sympathy for miners with hurt feelings.
All I've seen from your numerous ramblings in multiple threads is that YOU don't like crypto currencies. You don't have to keep reminding us.

Personal attacks aside, if that's what you get from my posts, then you're not paying attention. Either way, I'm not going to stop commenting because you don't like what I'm saying.

Some people probably are, but those aren't the ones consuming the lion's share of either the power or the hardware. I assure you, industrial-scale mining operations aren't doing it for "entertainment."

Personal attacks aside, if that's what you get from my posts, then you're not paying attention. Either way, I'm not going to stop commenting because you don't like what I'm saying.

The sooner you come to grips with the fact that even as low as the market has been recently, crypto currencies still have a market cap of $322 Billion. Regardless of how little you like it, people are going to pay attention to that kind of money. It doesn't matter how "wasteful" you think people are being.

I appreciate that these are expensive devices and that some people need and want them. I want and need all kinds of things for both personal and professional purposes that I can't afford due to their costs being higher than possible as a result of demand. I'm not ranting and attacking people about it though. How is this any different?

Also much of the hate I see surrounding folks who are fans of crypto currencies stems from opinions: It's time to let it go and keep it to yourselves. I personally think that video games are a plague and can't fathom why anyone would spend time playing them but I'm not slandering the people who play them publicly.

The problem is the cost of the high end video card is being jacked to sky high numbers because of some arbitrary scheme used to award coins. It does not have to operate like that and it needs to change, but the impetus for change is being dampened by people who insist on supporting the currrent scheme. Look at Bitcoin, it is designed to require more and more electricity to in order to maintain X amount of coins awarded.

Well, I no longer game. So you win that one. I cannot afford it anymore. Over the years I have had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people in games.

People are losing their jobs because of the miners speculation. That is real. No one was losing thier job over people playing video games, unless it was some numpty playing on company time.

The problem is the cost of the high end video card is being jacked to sky high numbers because of some arbitrary scheme used to award coins. It does not have to operate like that and it needs to change, but the impetus for change is being dampened by people who insist on supporting the currrent scheme. Look at Bitcoin, it is designed to require more and more electricity to in order to maintain X amount of coins awarded.

Well, I no longer game. So you win that one. I cannot afford it anymore. Over the years I have had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people in games.

People are losing their jobs because of the miners speculation. That is real. No one was losing thier job over people playing video games, unless it was some numpty playing on company time.

Can you really name one actual person you know who has lost their job? And quite honestly, in these small business scenarios, if you can't afford ~$200 extra to get the high end video card, then you had other business issues other than not being able to get a video card.

If you hate them so much then why are you concerned with them falling for a scam?

Guys, it's getting old. I can't read through a thread on this news forum without some one wanting to play their video games faster complaining about crypto currencies. The derogatory terms video game players here use and the general bile they have for crypto currency fans is getting old fast. I don't see the miners expressing such vitriol for video game players.
Because of this and users pendragon1 and Gideon I have essentially quit this board. When it gets better I may come back. Ah by the way, I have a genius IQ, multiple degrees and lots of IT experience. Yet some crypto noobs rule this board and hate all day. Good bye.

How many people have lost jobs because they can't afford fancy video cards as a result of mining vs. how many people have earned gainful employ due to crypto currencies? Seems like a straw man argument to me. If your work is not remunerative enough to allow you to purchase the bare essentials needed professionally it's time for a career pivot. Times change and the demand for goods and services changes accordingly.

With your genius IQ, can you tell me if you will be missed after posting 0.57 posts per day over the course of 2+ years? Just pointing out the obvious.

And if you think that the only people here to concern yourself with are the "crypto noobs" you're the one missing out.

Bro. I think he was agreeing with us and is taking the time he'd usually spend reading here elsewhere because of all the hate from the video game players.

Bro. I think he was agreeing with us and is taking the time he'd usually spend reading here elsewhere because of all the hate from the video game players.

That's what happens when I jump in on pg. 3 :D.

Don't worry. I have plenty of things to keep me busy. For one, I am making bank in all kinds of legal ways. I have learned a few good things on here and have contributed a time or two, IMHO. Not a problem, the world is a big place, I'll find another group of like minded individuals. I always have.

Don't worry. I have plenty of things to keep me busy. For one, I am making bank in all kinds of legal ways. I have learned a few good things on here and have contributed a time or two, IMHO. Not a problem, the world is a big place, I'll find another group of like minded individuals. I always have.

Let me know when you do.

Can you really name one actual person you know who has lost their job? And quite honestly, in these small business scenarios, if you can't afford ~$200 extra to get the high end video card, then you had other business issues other than not being able to get a video card.

Sure I can. A friend of mine runs a small custom build shop. He had to let two people go. He cannot compete on price with OEM's. They can buy direct and do not seem to have been impacted by the demand of video cards. He told me if this continues for much longer he is going to close his shop. He has been in business here for about 22 years.

You seem to be confused, at no point did I say I hate them or would care if someone loses their life savings to this. I just think it's hilarious how hard people try to explain why it's as legitimate as other goods and services, when it's clearly a digital scarcity pyramid scheme that wastes a lot of electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back