Bitcoin Mining Has Taken all of the AMD RX 580 GPU stock?

cageymaru

Fully [H]
So I was perusing the RX 580 section of NewEgg and I noticed that all of the cards are out of stock. Well there is one card for $500, but no sane person would buy that. So where did they all go? Did AMD suddenly stop making RX 580 cards? Or is something more sinister and foreboding going on?

Then I remember this news article Megalith covered that explained how $100 in Bitcoin from the beginning of the mining craze translates to $72.9 million today. My poor RX 480 may never find a Crossfire mate. Really I just was curious about the pricing, but it was alarming to see that nobody can buy a card from major online retailers like NewEgg or Amazon. On EBAY, used RX 480 cards are selling for higher prices than I paid new. RX 580 cards are nearly $400 on EBAY. Heck even R9 290 cards are $220+. Do you think that we will see an AMD VEGA card for sale at launch? Or will it become a unicorn because of the Bitcoin mining craze?

Yeah, I've been wondering about this situation.

Compare the RX 580 and the GTX 1060.

If the AMD cards were selling out due to mining, wouldn't the Nvidia cards show some sort of sell-out as well? As far as I know, Nvidia and AMD are basically equal in the mining rate, with Nvidia even generally taking less power, yet for some reason its the AMD cards being brought. It just does not make sense for miners to buy AMD cards over Nvidia cards. (At least from what I know, which may be missing important stuff)

Could it be AMD having supply problems? Maybe Nvidia has tons more stock in the first place?

I don't know, it just seems strange AMD is dealing with this again, while Nvidia is sailing home-free. Do the AIB partners just don't give a fuck about AMD anymore? Is that why inventory is trash, and when this mining thing reappeared, AIBs were caught offguard?

If the AMD cards were selling out due to mining, wouldn't the Nvidia cards show some sort of sell-out as well? As far as I know, Nvidia and AMD are basically equal in the mining rate, with Nvidia even generally taking less power, yet for some reason its the AMD cards being brought. It just does not make sense for miners to buy AMD cards over Nvidia cards. (At least from what I know, which may be missing important stuff)

Could it be AMD having supply problems? Maybe Nvidia has tons more stock in the first place?

I don't know, it just seems strange AMD is dealing with this again, while Nvidia is sailing home-free. Do the AIB partners just don't give a fuck about AMD anymore? Is that why inventory is trash, and when this mining thing reappeared, AIBs were caught offguard?
AMD and Nvidia aren't equal. AMD cards have a lot more compute power, and therefore crunch coins faster.

This guy sums it up well: https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/ethereum-mining-gpu-performance-roundup/amp/

The cards good for mining are cheaper with AMD so the ROI is faster. With mining, ROI is very important because things change quickly. So a card purchased to pay itself back after 30 days is more likely to realize that goal versus one to pay itself back after 90 days.

I just got 6 of them @ 250 each :), I'm hoping AMD has to cut the price down on Vega to around 550 or less even at 650 it will still be ok for me, I will replace rx 580s for Vega, since it should increase on the perf/watt, which directly translates to $/watt, It would be one of the best investments ever if I'm going to set up a mining farm lol, where in the world of business can you make your money back in 2 months on initial investment? No where lol. Of course I don't expect to to go past 6 months cause of ethereum changing how they pay, but there will be other coins out there that will pick up once ethereum is gone.

View attachment 25898
well it came in.

View attachment 25899

rx 580's soon to Vega's if Vega is x2 the flops and reasonable price range (under 650 bucks)

I think razor1's been buying them all. He loves some AMD Radeon RX ;):troll:

This guy sums it up well: https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/ethereum-mining-gpu-performance-roundup/amp/

The cards good for mining are cheaper with AMD so the ROI is faster. With mining, ROI is very important because things change quickly. So a card purchased to pay itself back after 30 days is more likely to realize that goal versus one to pay itself back after 90 days.

Thank you so much for linking me to that writeup, honestly, I've been trying to find out what was making AMD cards so attractive but coming up short, that article answered all my questions.

yup, when ether jumped to above 100 profitability shot up with it. i was looking at getting another rig build but cant afford the cards. at thease price points you either have to buy used 290's or even 1070's if you cant find 480's and 580's

Cannot say for sure but I see what looks like the top 3 supply chain positions open at AMD right now (VP, Director and Manager). Might be they are having issues in this functional area that is causing hiccups in the input channels which might be constraining output.

If AMD cards were selling to miners 1/4 as well as AMD fans would like everyone else to think, they would have long ago ramped production and their quarterly revenue/income for RTG would indicate such fortunes. Instead, AMD GPU revenue has and continues to remain only a sliver of it's competition. This weird blame on crypto miners has been used year in and year out since the HD 500 series 8 years ago. If AMD was never able to adjust their production to meet demand of ALL their potential customers after several generations and nodes of graphics cards, then they deserve their current place in the financial world.

It's great having a microcenter nearby. Was able to buy 8 RX570 cards for $170-180 the past two weeks

Shoot, two were open box at $143 and $151

If AMD cards were selling to miners 1/4 as well as AMD fans would like everyone else to think, they would have long ago ramped production and their quarterly revenue/income for RTG would indicate such fortunes. Instead, AMD GPU revenue has and continues to remain only a sliver of it's competition. This weird blame on crypto miners has been used year in and year out since the HD 500 series 8 years ago. If AMD was never able to adjust their production to meet demand of ALL their potential customers after several generations and nodes of graphics cards, then they deserve their current place in the financial world.

Well derpina, gpu profitablity comes and goes. The last rush was in 2013. The recent profit rise really only started a month or two ago. Notice when all RX cards went out of stock.....

Well derpina, gpu profitablity comes and goes. The last rush was in 2013. The recent profit rise really only started a month or two ago. Notice when all RX cards went out of stock.....

you mean month or two leading up to vega launch? :/

Honestly I doubt they're all going to "insert flavor here"coin mining, more likely they're being snapped up for people looking to crack leaked password hashes. What was once a decent mining rig is a pretty serious cracking rig with hashcat, especially if the leaked hashes are SHA-1.

Honestly I doubt they're all going to "insert flavor here"coin mining, more likely they're being snapped up for people looking to crack leaked password hashes. What was once a decent mining rig is a pretty serious cracking rig with hashcat, especially if the leaked hashes are SHA-1.

there are over 1 milion cards on the ethereum network alone. it has a decent impact on this.

Wow! All these types of cryptocurrency but can you actually cash it out?

All of them can either be sold for cash, or sold for another crypto-currency that can be sold for cash. So yup, it's possible to cash any of them out.

Holy crap, the altcoin craze is back!? I made about $5k last time around and my cousin made $40k (from vertcoin) in the span of a few weeks. I have a couple r9 270x's sitting here collecting dust from the last go round, I was trying to figure out what to do with them.

Which one of those coins is the quicker to produce some dividends with a couple of cards?

I figure i should give it a try, since i have "free" electricity available at the moment.

A couple of cards?

how relevant is the cpu?
He means Ethereum, you can even dual mine another currency on the same card as they use different part of the card.

Got 5x RX 480 hasing away myself for almost a month now, 1.5 card paid off.

I though mining was now the domain of ASICs. Didn't know GPU mining was still a thing. Keep meaning to get into it, but really don't know enough.

He means Ethereum, you can even dual mine another currency on the same card as they use different part of the card.

Got 5x RX 480 hasing away myself for almost a month now, 1.5 card paid off.
Sorry, i knew that he meant ethereum, my incomplete question was if two gpu are good enough to start and if the cpu was irrelevant.

Again, apologies for my incomplete question.

What else are you mining, if you can share that info?

Sorry, i knew that he meant ethereum, my incomplete question was if two gpu are good enough to start and if the cpu was irrelevant.

Again, apologies for my incomplete question.

What else are you mining, if you can share that info?

teo gpus would be fine for pool mining and cpu dosnt matter. Probably decred as a second coin.

Any guesses of Vega is going to be just as good/efficient for mining?

If so I would pre-order 14 of them!

Wow, time to sell the RX 470 I picked up for ~$145 earlier, just been sitting unused.

I thought cryptocurrency mining had moved entirely over to ASICs. I had no idea AMD GPU mining was still a thing.

Back