Bitcoin Mining Has Taken all of the AMD RX 580 GPU stock?

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, May 29, 2017.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

So I was perusing the RX 580 section of NewEgg and I noticed that all of the cards are out of stock. Well there is one card for $500, but no sane person would buy that. So where did they all go? Did AMD suddenly stop making RX 580 cards? Or is something more sinister and foreboding going on?

Then I remember this news article Megalith covered that explained how $100 in Bitcoin from the beginning of the mining craze translates to $72.9 million today. My poor RX 480 may never find a Crossfire mate. Really I just was curious about the pricing, but it was alarming to see that nobody can buy a card from major online retailers like NewEgg or Amazon. On EBAY, used RX 480 cards are selling for higher prices than I paid new. RX 580 cards are nearly $400 on EBAY. Heck even R9 290 cards are $220+. Do you think that we will see an AMD VEGA card for sale at launch? Or will it become a unicorn because of the Bitcoin mining craze?

2. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

GPU mining Bitcoin hasn't been viable for ages. But alternative crypto-currencies are still profitable with GPU mining, and it's possible people are buying AMD cards up for those.

Check this site for a breakdown of each crypto-currency's profitability, cost, and time-to-mine: http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

3. tweaked

tweaked n00b

Etherium is where its at.

4. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, I've been wondering about this situation.

Compare the RX 580 and the GTX 1060.

If the AMD cards were selling out due to mining, wouldn't the Nvidia cards show some sort of sell-out as well? As far as I know, Nvidia and AMD are basically equal in the mining rate, with Nvidia even generally taking less power, yet for some reason its the AMD cards being brought. It just does not make sense for miners to buy AMD cards over Nvidia cards. (At least from what I know, which may be missing important stuff)

Could it be AMD having supply problems? Maybe Nvidia has tons more stock in the first place?

I don't know, it just seems strange AMD is dealing with this again, while Nvidia is sailing home-free. Do the AIB partners just don't give a fuck about AMD anymore? Is that why inventory is trash, and when this mining thing reappeared, AIBs were caught offguard?

5. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

AMD and Nvidia aren't equal. AMD cards have a lot more compute power, and therefore crunch coins faster.

6. Zefram0911

Zefram0911 [H]ard|Gawd

RaxusCraxurFace likes this.
  7. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

This guy sums it up well: https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/ethereum-mining-gpu-performance-roundup/amp/

The cards good for mining are cheaper with AMD so the ROI is faster. With mining, ROI is very important because things change quickly. So a card purchased to pay itself back after 30 days is more likely to realize that goal versus one to pay itself back after 90 days.

SighTurtle likes this.
  8. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

I think razor1's been buying them all. He loves some AMD Radeon RX ;):troll:

Armenius, bezant and razor1 like this.
  9. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Thank you so much for linking me to that writeup, honestly, I've been trying to find out what was making AMD cards so attractive but coming up short, that article answered all my questions.

10. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

yup, when ether jumped to above 100 profitability shot up with it. i was looking at getting another rig build but cant afford the cards. at thease price points you either have to buy used 290's or even 1070's if you cant find 480's and 580's

11. Danny Dawg

Danny Dawg [H]ard|Gawd

Cannot say for sure but I see what looks like the top 3 supply chain positions open at AMD right now (VP, Director and Manager). Might be they are having issues in this functional area that is causing hiccups in the input channels which might be constraining output.

12. tviceman

tviceman Limp Gawd

If AMD cards were selling to miners 1/4 as well as AMD fans would like everyone else to think, they would have long ago ramped production and their quarterly revenue/income for RTG would indicate such fortunes. Instead, AMD GPU revenue has and continues to remain only a sliver of it's competition. This weird blame on crypto miners has been used year in and year out since the HD 500 series 8 years ago. If AMD was never able to adjust their production to meet demand of ALL their potential customers after several generations and nodes of graphics cards, then they deserve their current place in the financial world.

13. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

It's great having a microcenter nearby. Was able to buy 8 RX570 cards for $170-180 the past two weeks

Shoot, two were open box at $143 and $151

14. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

Well derpina, gpu profitablity comes and goes. The last rush was in 2013. The recent profit rise really only started a month or two ago. Notice when all RX cards went out of stock.....

15. uberjon

uberjon [H]Lite

you mean month or two leading up to vega launch? :/

16. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Time to sell my 290xs then? Whose mining? Daddy needs a new pair of Vegas.

Armenius and SighTurtle like this.
  17. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

if the price is right ill always be in the market for those :D

18. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Honestly I doubt they're all going to "insert flavor here"coin mining, more likely they're being snapped up for people looking to crack leaked password hashes. What was once a decent mining rig is a pretty serious cracking rig with hashcat, especially if the leaked hashes are SHA-1.

19. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

there are over 1 milion cards on the ethereum network alone. it has a decent impact on this.

20. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

Well, my small setup doubled in size the past two weeks...... 14x various RX cards for mining.

21. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

That bastard!:)

22. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

Wow! All these types of cryptocurrency but can you actually cash it out?

23. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

All of them can either be sold for cash, or sold for another crypto-currency that can be sold for cash. So yup, it's possible to cash any of them out.

24. B2BigAl

B2BigAl 2[H]4U

Holy crap, the altcoin craze is back!? I made about $5k last time around and my cousin made $40k (from vertcoin) in the span of a few weeks. I have a couple r9 270x's sitting here collecting dust from the last go round, I was trying to figure out what to do with them.

25. grtitan

Which one of those coins is the quicker to produce some dividends with a couple of cards?

I figure i should give it a try, since i have "free" electricity available at the moment.

26. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

ether.

grtitan likes this.
  27. grtitan

A couple of cards?

how relevant is the cpu?

28. Hypernova

Hypernova [H]ard|Gawd

He means Ethereum, you can even dual mine another currency on the same card as they use different part of the card.

Got 5x RX 480 hasing away myself for almost a month now, 1.5 card paid off.

grtitan likes this.
  29. Accursed

Accursed Limp Gawd

I though mining was now the domain of ASICs. Didn't know GPU mining was still a thing. Keep meaning to get into it, but really don't know enough.

HockeyJon likes this.
  30. grtitan

Sorry, i knew that he meant ethereum, my incomplete question was if two gpu are good enough to start and if the cpu was irrelevant.

Again, apologies for my incomplete question.

What else are you mining, if you can share that info?

31. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

filthy, dirty, crypto-miners...

32. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

teo gpus would be fine for pool mining and cpu dosnt matter. Probably decred as a second coin.

33. SpeedyVV

SpeedyVV [H]ardness Supreme

Any guesses of Vega is going to be just as good/efficient for mining?

If so I would pre-order 14 of them!

34. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Hmm, i've already got a single GTX 1070, looks like I should start mining.

35. britjh22

britjh22 Limp Gawd

Wow, time to sell the RX 470 I picked up for ~$145 earlier, just been sitting unused.

36. vict0r

vict0r Gawd

this is why cards are out of stock or priced higher.

37. Cmdrmonkey

Cmdrmonkey Gawd

I thought cryptocurrency mining had moved entirely over to ASICs. I had no idea AMD GPU mining was still a thing.

HockeyJon likes this.
  38. Jaymzkerten

Jaymzkerten Limp Gawd

Still makes me wish electricity wasn't so damn expensive in California...

39. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

how long does it take now to mine a single bitcoin?

40. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

I'm also of the "I thought it moved to ASICs long ago" crowd. Crazy!