Bitcoin Miner Found in Malicious Google Play Apps

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mining for Bitcoins from a cellphone? How about Millions of cellphones all working together undercover on phones around the world? This week researchers found exactly that in the guise of a harmless wallpaper App containing the BadLepricon malware.

Bitcoin mining places extreme processing demands on hardware, causing devices to slow down and generate much more heat than would be the case otherwise.

I advocate the death penalty for those who author and knowingly distribute this sort of malware.

They probably expended several million dollars worth of electricity to generate every $100 of coin they harvested, to say nothing of the wear and tear on the phones and their batteries.

They probably expended several million dollars worth of electricity to generate every $100 of coin they harvested, to say nothing of the wear and tear on the phones and their batteries.
People that mine Bitshit don't particularly care about how much electricity they waste.

none of the users noticed their phone spike to 60*C after installing a new kitty cat wallpaper?

People doing nefarious stuff to "make" bitcoins shouldn't surprise anyone and Google doesn't care as long as apps build in the ability to harvest data from customer devices.

People that mine Bitshit don't particularly care about how much electricity they waste.

Alot of people care about the power they use.

These people, malware creators, no of course they do not care because they are not paying for it.

Most serious bitcoin, legit miners, care a great deal about the power they use cause that cost money which in turn cuts into profits.

Alot of people care about the power they use.

These people, malware creators, no of course they do not care because they are not paying for it.

Most serious bitcoin, legit miners, care a great deal about the power they use cause that cost money which in turn cuts into profits.

Into suspected profits you mean. Bitcoin is still not an official currency and it can just disappear overnight. Actually I'm hoping it would, the whole thing just screams stupidity.

Into suspected profits you mean. Bitcoin is still not an official currency and it can just disappear overnight. Actually I'm hoping it would, the whole thing just screams stupidity.

Yup -- and along with that we should hope other things like climbing mountains, race car driving, hobby airplanes, PC gaming, and any other hobby that uses electricity or gasoline disppears because of the "stupidity" and wastefulness.

Bitcoin is backed by nothing - neither is the US dollar. The only thing backing it should something bork the economy up, is the governments promise to print more of said money to make you whole again (FDIC) In the digital age it's just a few bytes in a computer, no printing of money even necessary.

Can you do stupid things with bitcoin? Hell yeah, there's no shortage of crooked programmers, exchanges, etc, it's like the wild west out there for something so new. Just like there is no shortage of crooked wall street men, asshole millionaire's who waste more money on cocaine than you make in a lifetime.

The funny part is - people get so bent out of shape over bitcoin when it's quite literally cost you nothing in terms of money or time. If you aren't into it, cool. Nobody is forcing you to mine or trade.

I'm not into sports at all - just imagine the billions flowing in and out of that area that could be used for science and education, despite my opinion on it, I don't show up to your local sports bar and badmouth something you enjoy. It's called live and let live. It's pretty sad the people who have such a high opinion of themselves they can't fathom that other people might be into *gasp* other things different than what they might enjoy or approve of.

Back