bit torrent

Spearboy

Limp Gawd
i was wondering if someone could recommend a good bit torrent download manager

TheSHADOW's one seems to work very nicely. It's experimental but works fast!

I've tried:

BitTorrent
theShadow's
Burst!
TorrentStorm

My favorite of those is TorrentStorm.

I used to use Shadow's Experimental ... until I tried Azureus, its most definitely the best imho. All torrents in one window, nevermind having like 20 torrents in your taskbar from shadow, its FULL of features, too many to name .. and its stable

i've tried abc, azerues, burst, and shadows experimental. i chose to stick with shadows.

ABC

Azureues(sp) = java based. so it seems a bit sluggish.

only beef with ABC is that it's a mem whore when you have a lot of torrents going.

But I still like it over the rest.

Originally posted by theTIK
I've tried:

BitTorrent
theShadow's
Burst!
TorrentStorm

I would have to agree. Torrent Storm works really well and was easier for me to use than Azureus. I seem to have better connections with TS as well and I don't think it uses as much memory.

Originally posted by Sobek
I would have to agree. Torrent Storm works really well and was easier for me to use than Azureus. I seem to have better connections with TS as well and I don't think it uses as much memory.

The curses-interface to the python one (the original?) is perfect for my uses.
Point it at some directory, and it chews on and downloads all .torrent - files there, including ones that appear while it's running.
Combine this with an always-on computer and a directory shared by samba and nfs. I can drop a torrent file in the right directory, and it'll run continously, day and night, until I remove the file again.

(Did I mention that I like my toy server?)

Originally posted by theTIK
I've tried:

BitTorrent
theShadow's
Burst!
TorrentStorm

Same for me. I've also tried azerus or what ever. Torrentstorm is best IMO.

I have a question
Is bit torrent basically filesharing
i checked the bit torrent website and it doesn't say much:confused: :confused:

instead of everyone downloading from a central server. people start uploading the part of the file they have to other people downloading the same file. it lessens server stress and uses likely unused upstream bandwidth of the masses.

it is spiffy

at first you download a tiny file (xxxx.torrent) and this file tells you the layout of the file like a scafolding and the location of a server which helps coordinate all the people (and you then locate people which you have good upstream to and vice versa). then you download chunks of file in any random order into different parts of that scafolding.

then its chunk gets checked to make sure it was good, then it gets assembled to the rest.

I find myself giving more than I get. I wouldn't mind this but I would say it's around a 1:5 ratio. What's happened to the more you give, the faster you get?
Thanks

If you are looking for a normal BitTorrent client than I say just go with BitTorrent since it's very simple. Other than that, if you want a great all-around client than I would strongly have to recommend Shareaza. Shareaza supports 4 networks effectively; Gnutella2, Gnutella1, eDonkey, and BitTorrent and provides a great interface.

Originally posted by Movieesa
I find myself giving more than I get. I wouldn't mind this but I would say it's around a 1:5 ratio. What's happened to the more you give, the faster you get?
Thanks

If your upload is maxing out your connection then that bogs down your download rate, it also depends on how many seeds their are and if you have the bit torrent ports forwarded on your router. Plus with good programs you can throttle your upload. I commonly cap my upload at 10 and it downloads at about 40 and higher depending on the torrent.

Right now I'm using Shadow's Bit Torrent. Should I open up ports 6881 to 6889 on my router for better download speeds. For some reason I thought I was told that those are the only ports the program uses but perhaps I'm wrong. All of my downloads have a yellow button above them, and I have a feeling it's due to firewall interference. What can I do about this?
Thanks

Right now I'm using Shadow's Bit Torrent. Should I open up ports 6881 to 6889 on my router for better download speeds. For some reason I thought I was told that those are the only ports the program uses but perhaps I'm wrong. All of my downloads have a yellow button above them, and I have a feeling it's due to firewall interference. What can I do about this?
Thanks

you don't have those ports open?? and you're still able to download? Wow.

Open the damn ports.

Originally posted by G-daddy
you don't have those ports open?? and you're still able to download? Wow.

Open the damn ports.

You'd still be able to download without forwarding those ports it just creeps at 56k speeds.

Well, now it's changed the Shadow has a green light above it now to show that everything is all good. Speed wise, nothing has changed. Does this program actaully favour people who give me? You know for a fact that some people are cheating the system on that, but this is going at a snail's pace. I'm lucky if I get 8k, while dishing a constant 17. Hope steam is doing a better job of this then what I've seen here.
Thanks

Well, now it's changed the Shadow has a green light above it now to show that everything is all good. Speed wise, nothing has changed. Does this program actaully favour people who give me? You know for a fact that some people are cheating the system on that, but this is going at a snail's pace. I'm lucky if I get 8k, while dishing a constant 17. Hope steam is doing a better job of this then what I've seen here.
Thanks

:confused: What say you?
Cap your upload to 6-7kb. try a real popular torrent also.

Anyone using BT with a Buffalo Router? I have the correct ports open and have even tried enabling a DMZ and I still get NAT errors. Any ideas?

Originally posted by clarkkent333
Anyone using BT with a Buffalo Router? I have the correct ports open and have even tried enabling a DMZ and I still get NAT errors. Any ideas?
try it without the router just to make sure it is the router that is the problem

god damn i hte usingthe osk :mad:

Back