Bit of a Rant about Ryzen & AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
4eeacdadefc377fe7a04b5e9327d32a1c7a0b2cfe5fac154081b809b4fc0a419.jpg

I think it kind of depends on where you were coming from. An upgrade from Sandy Bridge i5-2500K that doubles the cores and adds hyperthreading and increases the IPC by about 20% seems pretty good. An i5-2500K 4.5Ghz overclock is pretty standard. If I have a 4.0Ghz Ryzen clock speed, I can multiply that by 1.2 and get 4.8Ghz. That 4.8Ghz is 6.6% faster than my overclocked 4.5Ghz speed and doesn't take into consideration the doubling of the cores or quadrupling of the threads or the memory bandwidth improvements. That's more than the generational improvement that Intel typically wants us to update on without the core/thread increases. And then there's the motherboard improvements of USB 3.1, better audio, SATA 3, PCIe 3, M.2 support , DDR4 support, current OS support, etc. I could have gotten all of this and even higher raw clock speeds on an i7-7700k but the core count wouldn't have changed. To me that's the fundamental difference between this and the previous Intel incremental changes that made me think that now was the time to upgrade after 6 years of waiting for something worthy.
What is the source of your 20% IPC advantage claim?

Do a little investigation into AMD's ability to process 4 complex x86 instructions versus intel being able to only do 1 complex + 3 simple in a clock cycle and how long AMD has been able to do that. Then think of the old term "Wintel". Next, consider Intel's exclusive use contract with Dell and other system builders. Last, look at when multithreaded apps started seeing widespread adoption and compare it to when Intel started offering multicore CPUs to the masses versus when AMD did.

A pretty shitty picture should be forming.

Those fuckers at Intel are good. They're damn good. And I'm not talking about their engineering staff.

This and price/performance ratio is why I have always supported AMD unless it absolutely did not make sense to do so.
Do Linux fans favor AMD cpus?

OP, thanks for posting about your personal impressions. It sucks to be a Guinea pig, and I thank you for doing this. I have been delaying my platform upgrade waiting for a 6+ core at a reasonable price and with a better gaming performance than my 5Ghz Sandy Cpu. Reading about your experience helps me make my decision as to whether to continue waiting either for AMD to optimize its platform or for Intel to come up with a competitive 6+ core CPU at a decent price.

AMD CPUs are fine for Linux. Even Bulldozer wasn't that bad on Linux.

AMD GPUs are hopeless on Linux though (for gaming).

They seem damned good, actually. In all of these benchmarks, you see Ryzen stomping Haswell Xeons into the ground with ease, even at comparable clocks (like the Ryzen 1700 vs e5-1660 v3):

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-linux-benchmarks-review-good-cpu-poor-value/

Why the hell don't you see this in Windows? Now I'm wondering if there is something to this "Wintel" theory.

Look in the 1366 overclocking thread in the Intel forum, plenty of peeps tossing out their 920's for $50 and under 6c12t Xeons.

There's a lot of value to be had there. I can't complain about the x5675 that I snagged on Ebay to take the place of a W3550 for light workstation duties. The tower was rescued from the recycle pile at work. A sub-$50 investment turned it into a great home server. I just wish 8GB Unbuffered ECC DDR3 sticks weren't so damn expensive otherwise I would have maxed it at 48GB instead of the 16GB that are in it now.

There's a lot of value to be had there. I can't complain about the x5675 that I snagged on Ebay to take the place of a W3550 for light workstation duties. The tower was rescued from the recycle pile at work. A sub-$50 investment turned it into a great home server. I just wish 8GB Unbuffered ECC DDR3 sticks weren't so damn expensive otherwise I would have maxed it at 48GB instead of the 16GB that are in it now.

Your damn right there is, I only wish they had cheap $50 1155 Xeons to replace my 2600K. :p

I use linux here and I only buy amd if I'm buying a discrete card.

2 years ago I tried 7870 on Ubuntu. KF1 has graphics glitches and smoke effect takes fps from 60 to below 20. I recently saw some nvidia vs amd benchmark on phoronix and nvidia is better fpr the most part. R9 290 was worse than RX 460.

I have a 6700k and now Ryzen 7 1700 each doing what they are strongest at. Not that it wouldn't game much worse than my 6700k I run everything at 4K. I considered just replacing my 6700k but will let a few revisions go through first (or wait for intel MAINSTREAM 6 core ;) )

2 years ago I tried 7870 on Ubuntu. KF1 has graphics glitches and smoke effect takes fps from 60 to below 20. I recently saw some nvidia vs amd benchmark on phoronix and nvidia is better fpr the most part. R9 290 was worse than RX 460.
Get with the times. I use linux daily and the open source driver from amd FAR better to live with than the nvidia one.

...Lurk more/STFU for once.

Intel has fucked up platform launches far worse before. As mentioned earlier X99, plus 1st rev SB etc etc, I even lost two drives to a B3 SB revision bug.

Your OP reads like mega shilling.

Intel has fucked up platform launches far worse before. As mentioned earlier X99, plus 1st rev SB etc etc, I even lost two drives to a B3 SB revision bug.

Man that B3 bug got me too, lost my Corsair SSD RAID array to that one. Those drives were pretty cool too, the red casing was pretty snazzy.

Man that B3 bug got me too, lost my Corsair SSD RAID array to that one. Those drives were pretty cool too, the red casing was pretty snazzy.

I feel for you, glad I didn't lose something like that :( Would've been an unhappy chappy.
I lost some fabled Spinpoint F3s? which were some of the best and most reliable 7200 drives at that point but luckily RMAd them. Shit part is they were replaced with Seagate due to buyout :/
Also very luckily had backed them up just prior..... phewph. Was a bitch none the less.

So when Ryzen has the few issues it has, I personally find them pretty meh compared to SB or other platform issues. At least it's not eating drives...

Being smart doesn't mean your not POOR! HaheHaheHahe
Being smart and rich doesn't mean you splash out on shit for not reason either.
Case in point: richest guy I know when he's in London, doesn't drive e.g. a 1 of 5 Zonda limited model or one of his many other rides, but no... he drives

'drum roll'

A fucking prius.

That'd be like using an i3. It's okay for most things but if you want to do anything more, you find the limits. TBH I find I can push it to the limit too easily and I would never recommend one even for gaming. People who recommend I3s for gaming have not spent time on them nor come from a quad.
Deciding to go 1700 hold over or wait for 2nd revision Zen for 128Gb of ram drive deliciousness. Depends how much longer Vega takes and I if can hold out with an i3 really...

I have cleared the OP and locked my thread. Perhaps you are right, and I need to STFU. While I have read HardOCP since the early 2000s, I have not participated in the forums until now, and clearly f*cked that up. Your point is fair, and accepted, and I apologize for my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back