Bit of a computer problem...BSOD?

Welsper

Gawd
I've just built myself a lovely machine, but it gives me a bit of grief from time to time...
Here's my specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Clawhammer
2Gb Wintec PC2700
MSI K8N Neo4 Motherboard
Rosewill nVidia 6600GT graphics
1x WD Raptor SATA HDD 34.4Gb
1x Seagate Barracuda IDE HDD 160Gb
Coolermaster Cavalier 3 case
LiteOn DVD-R/RW dual layer burner
350W CoolerMaster PSU (upgrading to 430w soon)
Anyway. I get a BSOD error when I try to run Sisoft's Sandra program on my computer and use the ATA/ATAPI drive info tool to get S.M.A.R.T. info for my HDDs (I use it to monitor their temperature), the error I get is Machine Check Exception, followed by a string of numbers (possibly hex code), I can easilly reproduce the error (just do the steps mentioned above), if y'all need the error code or such. I know its not a memory problem, it *might* be a problem with either my gfx card, or a USB addon card that I have, but I don't think so (those are the only two PCI (PCIE for the gfx card) cards I've got, the rest is integrated..I'm totally stumpped on this, I've no idea wth is wrong....any of you guys think you can help? :confused:

Have you used one of those online power supply calculators to figure out how much watts you need? Are you overclocking?

forumposter32 said:
Have you used one of those online power supply calculators to figure out how much watts you need? Are you overclocking?
Yes I have used one of the PSU calcs and no I've not OC'd it, though I do plan on watercooling it it later on for quiet and cool operation, the reccomended wattage for my PSU is 305w, as I said, it only happens in that situation; I can game for 5 hours, run prime95 for three, and nothing happens, 'cept my temps climb to 55-56c and stay there rock solid until my proc usage drops to normal, where the temps quickly drop to about 38-40c after 10 or so minutes, if not less. If it indeed is a power issue, I can swap the 350w CM powersupply for a 430w Enermax I have in another computer, which is fine with me. I've also thought it may be a problem with the program (Sandra) itself, though I ruled it out because the exact version works on my other computer (which has had only 3 stop errors in its life (4 years), whereas this one has had three since I finished putting it together about a month ago, heh. Maybe I just don't have luck with computers?

Back