BioWare's new IP: Anthem

But why? The game bundle was just advertising for them to sell cards. Nobody returned their Nvidia GPU because anthem is crap. They have nothing to gain by confronting EA and everything to loose.

You are probably right but I would love to see Nvidia hold EA's feet to the fire publicly for giving them a crap game to bundle with their cards. Even if it is a public statement about how Anthem doesn't meet the quality standards that Nvidia holds itself to. So in turn purchases that included Anthem will be given a license for... I don't know... Control? Something like that.

Finally picked up origin access and started this. I'm about 10 hours in.

I enjoy the gameplay, flying is fun. Gunplay feels a lot like Warframe. I'm a bit disappointed at how much the rest mimics destiny like gear and story. I find the grind is a bit boring but I'll stick with it for awhile I think

Kind of all annoying when you look for info and all you can find are people complaining that the game sucks. What a weird situation this title is in atm

I've said from the beginning that the core gameplay is excellent- flying, combat, graphics, atmosphere...the major problem is the amount of content available and the repetitive nature of it...they need to develop a better narrative around the gameplay

No Man's Sky is a bit different as the developer had a reputation they wanted to improve, and really couldn't just abandon the game.

With Anthem it makes more financial sense for EA to just kill the IP and move on. EA doesn't have a reputation that they care to improve. They just need to satisfy the shareholders.

NMS was made by a tiny developer and so far they have been pretty happy with the sale bumps they get from pushing updates. Anthem was specifically created to be a recurring monetization vehicle that brings in big money. That failed and most likely has become impossible. I can't see them investing money into what is like a "dead" IP as far as monetization goes. No doubt they can make it into something, but given the choice of spending money on a game that brings in MT revenue vs one that doesn't... I don't see much hope for this. A new article is out called the death of gaming. MTs + grinding have pretty much killed quality games of yesteryear.

deadhorse.jpg

This is still a thing? Are they hoping they can get some sort of marginal Destiny 2 like turn around?

This is still a thing? Are they hoping they can get some sort of marginal Destiny 2 like turn around?
My understanding is that initially BioWare Montreal ignored all advice and what competition had already learned of the game. Now this announcement is coming from BioWare Austin who was responsible for the Star Wars MMO (and a source of some of that ignored advice). So perhaps if this update ever happens the overall game might actually be turned around....hard to say if that’ll bring any sizeable player base back though.

hard to say if that’ll bring any sizeable player base back though.

if the reboot is good players will come back...Battlefront 2 made a huge turnaround after a bumpy launch so anything is possible...yes SW is a more established brand but a good game is going to get players

I'd come back easily if the game was actually good.

It has excellent graphics and the potential is there, if they just fix the gameplay loop from the ground up.

Battlefront 2 made a huge turnaround after a bumpy launch so anything is possible...yes SW is a more established brand but a good game is going to get players

Don't know what turnaround you are talking about, I uninstalled it recently because there are fuck all people playing it.

I played battlefront 2 just recently and there was a fair number of people playing it.

I'd come back easily if the game was actually good.

It has excellent graphics and the potential is there, if they just fix the gameplay loop from the ground up.

I agree, the graphics and core mechanics are fine...it's the repetitive gameplay that got boring fast...they need more content, maps and story based gameplay

I played battlefront 2 just recently and there was a fair number of people playing it.

Given that EA now hides player population stats for all of its games, it all completely anecdotal and dependant on your region. All I can say is that in my region there is virtually no one playing it compared to more popular games.

Given that EA now hides player population stats for all of its games, it all completely anecdotal and dependant on your region. All I can say is that in my region there is virtually no one playing it compared to more popular games.

Australia is not an accurate representation...

He’s not wrong.

And neither am I, because there is no evidence to corroborate anyones anecdotal claims. Just because you can jump onto a busy server during peak periods means nothing when you can't see the number of servers players across them.

Congrats you can see 40 people playing at peak times, for all you know that might be the extent of the entire user population at that time of the day.

And neither am I, because there is no evidence to corroborate anyones anecdotal claims. Just because you can jump onto a busy server during peak periods means nothing when you can't see the number of servers players across them.

Congrats you can see 40 people playing at peak times, for all you know that might be the extent of the entire user population at that time of the day.
For the US servers? Unlikely for BF2.

While it was already dead. They filled the 6 foot hole with this announcement. The game needed more content, real progression, a loot system that didn't suck. It should have also included system where you could run in town and not feel like some weirded out half living zombie-people. 30-40 people will only bring cosmetics, boring changes, and no real game mechanics. I played this yesterday and realized I liked the game, then also realized I had nothing else to do.... STILL.

EA/BioWare gets a bad rap...Battlefront 2 was surprisingly good after a rocky launch...Anthem had the gameplay mechanics but didn't know how to build around it...MA: Andromeda is another title which people will appreciate more as time goes by

BioWare is no longer peak BioWare but they are far from the disaster some people claim

Battlefront 2 was surprisingly good after a rocky launch...

Having played it fairly recently, I have no qualms in saying that the SP campaign was still buggy generic trash and the only game mode that was sufficiently populated (barely) during peak hours was galactic assault. The online gameplay is still uninspiring shit - very little teamwork, no means to communicate properly, crap gunplay, awful matchmaking system etc. DICE has gone down the gurgler just like every other studio acquired by EA.

this is it...the moment of truth...

Electronic Arts to Decide Fate of Anthem Game This Week

Three sources familiar with Anthem’s development spoke with Bloomberg about the status of the troubled multiplayer game, and said that executives at EA are set this week to examine ‘Anthem Next’, which is what BioWare has called the overhauled version of Anthem it’s been quietly working on for almost two years...should EA’s brass decide to move forward with Anthem Next, the current team of 30 developers will need to be tripled in size...the alternative, of course, is to cancel the relaunch, writing off the work done on it to date as a loss...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/anthem/relaunch-cancellation-decision-ea

this is it...the moment of truth...

Electronic Arts to Decide Fate of Anthem Game This Week

Three sources familiar with Anthem’s development spoke with Bloomberg about the status of the troubled multiplayer game, and said that executives at EA are set this week to examine ‘Anthem Next’, which is what BioWare has called the overhauled version of Anthem it’s been quietly working on for almost two years...should EA’s brass decide to move forward with Anthem Next, the current team of 30 developers will need to be tripled in size...the alternative, of course, is to cancel the relaunch, writing off the work done on it to date as a loss...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/anthem/relaunch-cancellation-decision-ea
there is no way this isn't being written off... another feather in the cap of anthem's legacy.

I don't see the point. Everyone has long forgotten about this game. Any potential goodwill they could have gained with a re-launch disappeared about a year ago. Just let it die and put those 30 developers on something people might actually care about. It's not like they have two beloved franchises with upcoming sequels or anything.

if they're going to need 90 developers for this then they should just work on a full blown sequel...by the time Anthem 1.2 is released it'll feel outdated...then again if No Man's Sky and Battlefront 2 can do it then there's no reason why Anthem can't rise from the ashes

Naa, Anthem is dead, and after the botched MEA sales and EA cutting biowares budget for MEA the accountants are firmly in charge.

Biowares going to get one last kick at the can with ME4 and maybe DA4, if those don't sell well EAs gonna bury em.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Hopefully we will see all of these "live service" games wither and die, and we can get back to solid SP / co-op games with decent campaigns.

CyberPunk 2077 should have ushered in a new era, but the launch was such a shitshow. Still, it is good for what it is and I would much rather play it over Anthem or any of this live service trash.

Hopefully we will see all of these "live service" games wither and die, and we can get back to solid SP / co-op games with decent campaigns.

CyberPunk 2077 should have ushered in a new era, but the launch was such a shitshow. Still, it is good for what it is and I would much rather play it over Anthem or any of this live service trash.

Will never happen. Live service games are much easier to monetize, ergo, will continue to be dominant. Gotta move those hats and skins.

Will never happen. Live service games are much easier to monetize, ergo, will continue to be dominant. Gotta move those hats and skins.
It will happen, every market reaches saturation and then takes a hiatus. It won't die forever, or completely go away, but it will cycle out in favor of something fresh.

Live service shit has no place in $60 AAA games.keep that shit to free p2w mobile games. It makes me smile seeing these games crash and burn.

Live service shit has no place in $60 AAA games.keep that shit to free p2w mobile games. It makes me smile seeing these games crash and burn.

I'm going to go against the grain somewhat on this. I don't dislike live service games on their own. What I dislike is developers trying to turn everything into a live service. Ghost Recon Breakpoint should never have been imagined as a looter shooter. The developer has spent a year trying to reinvent the game and turn it into something resembling Wildlands rather than the Division 2. Destiny was always conceived as a live service game and I think it's been fine in general. Although, Bungie's latest decisions are baffling and clearly not working as the backlash has been substantial. That being said, part of me is happy that Anthem failed. EA needed to learn the lesson as they seemed to be transitioning everything into a live service model. For every Destiny 2 or Warframe, you've got tons of Anthems out there. Well, maybe not THAT bad but you get the idea.

It's a formula that can work when executed and continually executed well. However, it pisses me off that developers only see the cash cow that is looter shooters and try to make everything into one.

Last edited:
I'm going to go against the grain somewhat on this. I don't dislike live service games on their own. What I dislike is developers trying to turn everything into a live service. Ghost Recon Breakpoint should never have been imagined as a looter shooter. The developer has spent a year trying to reinvent the game and turn it into something resembling Wildlands rather than the Division 2. Destiny was always conceived as a live service game and I think it's been fine in general. Although, Bungie's latest decisions are baffling and clearly not working as the backlash has been substantial. That being said, part of me is happy that Anthem failed. EA needed to learn the lesson as they seemed to be transitioning everything into a live service model. For every Destiny 2 or Warframe, you've got tons of Anthems out there. Well, maybe not THAT bad but you get the idea.

It's a formula that can work when executed and continually executed well. However, it pisses me off that developers only see the cash cow that is looter shooters and try to make everything into one.
That's the problem. Companies get too greedy and fail on the execution. By either filling it up with full retard MT or releasing it before it is ready. They market some of these games as the next big thing but you can tell they put a half ass effort into it.

Back