BioWare's new IP: Anthem

"So, if I think about Anthem on a seven to ten year cycle, it may not have had the start that many of us wanted, including our players," he said. "I feel like that team is really going to get there with something special and something great, because they've demonstrated that they can...

Couldn't have applied that logic to Mass Effect, now could we?

Anthem won't last past 2 years. The game is already largely dead.
Actually I was playing last night during EU prime time and the amount of people that were new each round stronghold I played were different names maybe I got 1 guy in 2 times in the group but that was it.
Once it goes F2P I expect they may be able to squeeze a couple of years out of it.

Free to play would kill it no one is going to support mechanics that they don't want to pay for since they paid for the game already ,......

Given EA’s track record, anthem is already dead (they are just angling to capture as many sales as possible atm).

Given EA’s track record, anthem is already dead (they are just angling to capture as many sales as possible atm).

This morning at 0800 (EU) I was playing some strongholds kept being in each group with different players. If Anthem was/is dead I would be playing with the same people all the time.

I have been playing a bit the last couple of days, and had no trouble finding a group for a stronghold, I'm still pretty low lvl and had no idea what to do, got my ass handed to me a couple times and got ressed every time so at least tohose who are left playing seem friendly and helpfull.

ANTHEM game needs PvP to survive!

Other than that I would like to see a sequel.

The shooting is not good enough for it to have a solid PVP system. There is some good stuff there for SP or co-op but it would be incredibly shallow and boring for PVP.

This morning at 0800 (EU) I was playing some strongholds kept being in each group with different players. If Anthem was/is dead I would be playing with the same people all the time.

You only need a few thousand concurrent players to make that possible, heck it might even be possible with less than that.

Played it lats night for the first time in over month. New content is always welcome and need more time to determine if its worth it to keep playing.

LOL is it dead yet Jim?

f6c.jpg

Its pretty sad, they have the core of a great game here, just so sloppy and lack luster in implementation. I really miss flying in all other games now.

Its pretty sad, they have the core of a great game here, just so sloppy and lack luster in implementation. I really miss flying in all other games now.
Agreed. This had the potential to be great if there was a competent director at the helm and the game had at least one more year to cook.

Anthem will get 'seasonal updates' rather than the previously announced acts

Today, BioWare announced that plans for future Anthem acts have been shelved so developers can work on more long-term, systemic fixes to the game...

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/09/17/what-is-next-for-anthem/

good to see them continue to work on the game...as I said from the beginning- these live service games are always changing and evolving so we need to wait till the 1 year mark and see what the game looks like then...

Anthem was always on origin access. It's how I played it. This isn't news.

It was on the higher priced tier, I think $15 a month. Thats how I tried it also. Now it is on the $5/month tier.

Anthem will get 'seasonal updates' rather than the previously announced acts

Today, BioWare announced that plans for future Anthem acts have been shelved so developers can work on more long-term, systemic fixes to the game...

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/09/17/what-is-next-for-anthem/

good to see them continue to work on the game...as I said from the beginning- these live service games are always changing and evolving so we need to wait till the 1 year mark and see what the game looks like then...
Stop being a apologist for them.

Stop being a apologist for them.

February 2020 I will render my final verdict...not really an apologist as I haven't played the game in months...it needs new content...I think the framework is there for a solid game but as it is now it gets very repetitive...but the combat and flying are aces

February 2020 I will render my final verdict...not really an apologist as I haven't played the game in months...it needs new content...I think the framework is there for a solid game but as it is now it gets very repetitive...but the combat and flying are aces
That is fine and all but from a company as big as EA you would hope they could release a competent game from the start. Being ok and giving the a entire year to try and fix it is how we get dumpster fires of games like this and fallout 76. I am surprised they didn't dump this game yet.

That is fine and all but from a company as big as EA you would hope they could release a competent game from the start. Being ok and giving the a entire year to try and fix it is how we get dumpster fires of games like this and fallout 76. I am surprised they didn't dump this game yet.

If bungie can get a year to fix destiny 2 why not another studio? Bungie has less of an excuse as they already made a similar game b4, bioware did not.

every live service game goes through growing pains at launch...1 year later those games are usually much better- Division 1, Destiny 2 etc

every live service game goes through growing pains at launch...1 year later those games are usually much better- Division 1, Destiny 2 etc
And that is one of the reasons why I'll never play live service games unless they are f2p. "live service" is just an excuse to ask money for an unfinished product. Same as early access and crowdfunding.

What was wrong with the old system of "when it's done" ? Oh yeah, greed. I'll pay for a game when it is ready to be played. And since live service games are inherently never finished, I just ignore them.

Those other games had a decent foundation to build upon. You could see the potential from Day 1 even if some things were a mess. I absolutely cannot say the same for Anthem, where it feels like almost every major part of the game needs an overhaul.

In Jason Schreier's now infamous article (How Anthem Went Wrong) it's mentioned that during development the Team Leads would react negatively towards their staff if they mentioned Destiny or Division. Preventing them from learning from what other games in the genre did right, or did wrong. It was a recipe for disaster.

And that is one of the reasons why I'll never play live service games unless they are f2p. "live service" is just an excuse to ask money for an unfinished product. Same as early access and crowdfunding.

What was wrong with the old system of "when it's done" ? Oh yeah, greed. I'll pay for a game when it is ready to be played. And since live service games are inherently never finished, I just ignore them.

90% of games are an unfinished product at launch...doesn't have anything to do with Early Access or Live Service games...if you think Borderlands 3 or even Cyberpunk 2077 are bug free/feature complete games at launch you are kidding yourself...most games are rushed to market before they are ready

the difference with games as a service is that they can fundamentally change the direction and scope of a game to where it looks very different from launch...they gather feedback and are able to evolve in a way that those other games can't or won't...on the plus side you can also wait it out with a game like Anthem, buy it 8-12 months later at a significant discount and get a potentially better game...

90% of games are an unfinished product at launch...doesn't have anything to do with Early Access or Live Service games...if you think Borderlands 3 or even Cyberpunk 2077 are bug free/feature complete games at launch you are kidding yourself...most games are rushed to market before they are ready
One thing is sure, gameplay wise they are finished and the game mechanics won't change after launch. Having a few bugs is not the same as completely unfinished. Are you a fortune teller for a day job perhaps? Then how do you know an unrelased game will be unfinished?
the difference with games as a service is that they can fundamentally change the direction and scope of a game to where it looks very different from launch...they gather feedback and are able to evolve in a way that those other games can't or won't...on the plus side you can also wait it out with a game like Anthem, buy it 8-12 months later at a significant discount and get a potentially better game...
That's the thing. I don't want games to change direction at all after launch. The design phase is done, and should be done a year before launch for any major title. Making changes to an already failed game is just nudging a turd with a stick.

One thing is sure, gameplay wise they are finished and the game mechanics won't change after launch. Having a few bugs is not the same as completely unfinished. Are you a fortune teller for a day job perhaps? Then how do you know an unrelased game will be unfinished?

That's the thing. I don't want games to change direction at all after launch. The design phase is done, and should be done a year before launch for any major title. Making changes to an already failed game is just nudging a turd with a stick.

because they announced it

I dare you to point out a feature in borderlands 3, control, or Witcher 3 that wasn’t complete at launch. That line is BS excusing sloppy products, bugs sure, dlc fine, but most games (excluding the games as a service model) are feature complete at launch. If they are not they hit the chop shop hard for dlc.

Anthem is by far the least complete triple a game as a service I’ve ever seen, so this particular train wreck isn’t a great one unless your looking for gold standards in shit making.

Games as a service or not it not acceptable for a so called AAA game that was hyped up to be the next big thing to be released in such a state. A bad launch of a game will more likely kill it before they fix all the issues. It is unlikely to ever catch on again at this point. This game needed at least another year of development. More like two to be honest but EA to greedy. They know they can hype it up and still sell millions of copies at launch. Which sales wise it was very successful. Where it failed for then us all MT revenue they lost cause people dropping this garbage of a game. EA and other companies will keep pulling this bs as long as people keep buying into it. Gaming as a service is just a nice way of saying full price beta access to a half done game.

I dont say much on gaming companies and games.

My thoughts are this. Back in day westwood made CnC, Red Alert.
Them games are still great games.

Why? because companies cared about Customer/Gamer, they didn't release unfinished product.

Reason? Because Customer/Gamer would not buy unfinished product and or Product of poor quality.

I run lawn care and landscape business, Simple business logic. I tell customer, I sell them quality service at XX amount. I fail deliver my product's / service's to customer.

I will not get customer's business again, my business will have bad reputation for selling bad quality service's / Product's.

Its simple business model, Is Business in question failing in quality?
Is business failing at promising quality products / Games?
Is Customer tried of empty Promises from business?

You answered. Yes all 3. Then stop buying products from company. And quit crying about business do something about the business. Dont let business get away with low quality products. Customers are always right.

Most powerful advertising and advertisements tools business has is word to month......The Customer....

Customers have 2 powers over any business.

1. Customer's have power make successful business

2. Customer's have power bankrupt business.

Honestly i dont care for E/A. There just like johndeere, your paying for name nothing else. There games are poor quality and business is mess.

E/A will burn down as Rome Empire. What comes up, must come down. Reason E/A needs lawyer's is keep there money, so they dont lose it, from all there stupid choices they've made.

E/A and AT&T are same business's to me, they buy small companies and turn them to make profit and dont care about quality or customers they serve. They care about money abd and nothing more. Thats asking for cheap products and shitty customers and poor quality control.

Back