BioWare's new IP: Anthem

While the flying is cool - When you really think about it there is zero purpose to it, and the whole 'flight time' mechanic is also idiotic as you are only flying around to get from mission point to mission point. Once you are in combat you aren't really flying around all that much unless there are snipers you need to deal with...

of course you are if you're playing Storm...her entire javelin is built around staying in the air as long as possible and raining down elemental abilities from up high

Yeah, the angry joe video sums it up the best I think. Great graphics, the core gameplay works - But the missions blow, and the loot sucks.

of course you are if you're playing Storm...her entire javelin is built around staying in the air as long as possible and raining down elemental abilities from up high

Storm is the one I started with. Floating around in the air shooting fools is fun. Got about half a level to go until I unlock my second Jav, not sure what I'm going to pick next.

Yeah, the angry joe video sums it up the best I think. Great graphics, the core gameplay works - But the missions blow, and the loot sucks.

Hopefully they're able to get the Stronghold vanity items ready to go sooner than the 3+ week timeline they mentioned. It won't fix the general loot, but at least it will make some loot exciting.

Hopefully they're able to get the Stronghold vanity items ready to go sooner than the 3+ week timeline they mentioned. It won't fix the general loot, but at least it will make some loot exciting.

Not gonna happen. The game will have a little bit more this summer - But by then it's too late, and no one gives a shit.

I would have to go back to Diablo 3 to make my point about loot. If you are in such a game not everything is an upgrade. Looking at loot and at levels of the loot you will find out that the higher number is sometimes no longer the factor on which you need to equip things. Damage boosting stats on loot can be way more important (for main skills) then 1 or 2 higher in level.

People complaining about loot in a game that randomly generate loot (Anthem does have a crafting system so your favourite items can be crafted with random stats) do not have a point.

Anyone have a good way of doing multi kills in Anthem , does it trigger outside of freeplay for you as well ?

I'd say it feels a lot like the shipping version of Destiny 1. The groundwork is there, but there's a lot of empty space and thrown together content without much thought. The plot is just Gears of War, no?
I like the shooting and movement mechanics, and I think it's a game that could be good once they flesh it out a little more. Very much like Destiny.
I ran into a weird bug where I picked up a Bridge Builder...and the whole game just kinda sat there. It didn't hard lock, but the controls just totally stopped responding. I eventually had to CTRL+ALT+DEL to bail out. Performance is still really sub par, too. For what it is, there should be no real reason why I have to run the details on medium to avoid bogdowns.

I'd say it's probably a 6.5/10 so far. I feel like it could be really good at some point though. I full-on hated Destiny 1 at first and grew to love it once they fleshed it out.

the game doesn't even tell you about one of its most important mechanics- Primer/Detonator combos...maybe it's buried somewhere within that Cortex thing but I haven't seen the game mention it and I'm up to Level 5...as far as the lack of gunplay variety...I don't notice it as much because I prefer playing as Storm where my Abilities and combos are what I mainly use

Anyone have a good way of doing multi kills in Anthem , does it trigger outside of freeplay for you as well ?

combos (primer/detonator) don't work on enemies who have shields

That's no true, i've combo'd the big shield enemies. You just can't combo if you shoot their shield.

Something I just noticed - you seem to actually get more XP playing with a group. There are also random chests full of goodies that aren't there in solo mode. Seems kind of backwards seeing how the game isn't any harder with 3-4 players.

I would have to go back to Diablo 3 to make my point about loot. If you are in such a game not everything is an upgrade. Looking at loot and at levels of the loot you will find out that the higher number is sometimes no longer the factor on which you need to equip things. Damage boosting stats on loot can be way more important (for main skills) then 1 or 2 higher in level.

People complaining about loot in a game that randomly generate loot (Anthem does have a crafting system so your favourite items can be crafted with random stats) do not have a point.

No, the point is that the loot isn't interesting. It all looks the same, and you get mountains of crap that is typically worthless.

Getting mountains of crap isn't a big deal in most games, but here it's a chore because you can't just auto-deconstruct stuff. You've got to spend time over every worthless item holding doing the right mouse button to get rid of each, and every one.

Finally, the stat stuff is great - But the game gives you absolutely no way to see what these randomly generated modifiers are actually doing as there is no stats page for your character.

Something I just noticed - you seem to actually get more XP playing with a group. There are also random chests full of goodies that aren't there in solo mode. Seems kind of backwards seeing how the game isn't any harder with 3-4 players.

the game wants you to play with a group and lets you know that every chance it gets...you also get a weekly bonus pool from everyone in your group...I like the group aspect except for my first run through the Main Missions which I prefer Solo...the matchmaking is pretty flawless with this game...gotta give credit to BioWare for living up to their pre-release hype of a world where you can go solo or have group members drop in seamlessly

I give the game a 7.5 in its current form...it needs more content, new areas and new enemies to stop things from feeling too repetitive...I like it a lot now but will I still feel the same after 3 months of the same thing

Anybody use the in game VOIP? I hadn't used it, seems like if you know what you're doing you don't need it.

On a side note I heard other players using it for the first time today but not a in a positive way. Overhead a dad getting mad at his older son for playing ANTHEM instead of going to work. The other player who sounded like he was from Europe was like... wudafuq? :whistle:

Well I'm fully masterwork now with the exception of the support slot, and I'm not sure there are any support items yet. I've yet to see a single legendary item other than my preorder.......so.....what am I supposed to do now?

Well I'm fully masterwork now with the exception of the support slot, and I'm not sure there are any support items yet. I've yet to see a single legendary item other than my preorder.......so.....what am I supposed to do now?

Do stupid challenges that give you a vinyl that no one cares about, and 2000 gold.

There isn't anything to do.

No, the point is that the loot isn't interesting. It all looks the same, and you get mountains of crap that is typically worthless.

Getting mountains of crap isn't a big deal in most games, but here it's a chore because you can't just auto-deconstruct stuff. You've got to spend time over every worthless item holding doing the right mouse button to get rid of each, and every one.

Finally, the stat stuff is great - But the game gives you absolutely no way to see what these randomly generated modifiers are actually doing as there is no stats page for your character.

There is a kiosk to the immediate side of the Javelin launch platform that allows you to simply move a bunch of items into a junk category and then mass-salvage them.

I'm still trying to figure a few things out. Is there some way to buy weapons or do you have to craft them?
Also - do you get any weapon drops/rewards when playing solo? At the end of a group mission I end up with a bunch of weapons and items that power up my Javelin. At the end of solo missions...I don't think I've gotten anything.

I'm still trying to figure a few things out. Is there some way to buy weapons or do you have to craft them?
Also - do you get any weapon drops/rewards when playing solo? At the end of a group mission I end up with a bunch of weapons and items that power up my Javelin. At the end of solo missions...I don't think I've gotten anything.

Can only craft.

Ugh, that drop rate though... Plated a ton from the 15th til now and I was having fun until yesterday. Ran a shot ton of sstrongholds and immediately noticed my drops were terrible. Thought my luck was crap and I might as well log out to spend time with the family. Tried again today same terrible drops. Formed a group from randoms I was matched with cause we cut through the strongholds on gm1 in record time for me and I said something about it. Everyone thought it was only them so we literally stop playing to look it up and these dumbasses turned the drop rates down t what they said was before the day one patch. It clearly is far worse as we all were getting multiples masterworks or in all high-end content. The are killing themselves with all the junk loot even on masterworks you want to at least make up with quantity. I'm pretty sure the game will be dead to me come the release of td2.

I am enjoying the game so far but now I am stuck doing that stupid forced challenge shit to progress the story line....

I am enjoying the game so far but now I am stuck doing that stupid forced challenge shit to progress the story line....

Yeah that can be a little bit weird some of the things are now pretty trivial like opening chests used to be a single player event only now it does not matter who opens it still counts.
I had the most problems with multi kills , I solved this by going into a freeplay (easy) dungeon and round them up. Also some of the freeplay events allow some abuse where you have to kill structures but if you don't the spawn is pretty much until the server shuts down :) .

so I just unlocked the Launch Bay...but I don't get the point of it...seems like you can do the exact same things you do in Fort Tarsis...so what's the point of the Launch Bay?...is there something exclusive there that I can't do anywhere else?

so I just unlocked the Launch Bay...but I don't get the point of it...seems like you can do the exact same things you do in Fort Tarsis...so what's the point of the Launch Bay?...is there something exclusive there that I can't do anywhere else?

You are in there with "other" people.....that is literally it.

Any planes from Bioware to change that?? That seems like something that'd be OK if it was for a 'easter egg.'

At this moment, I don't know. I hope they do though. Other things (for me at least) that they need to address is not being able to set waypoints and not being able to switch to gear that drops during gameplay WITHOUT HAVING TO GO TO THE FUCKING FORGE EACH TIME!!

At this moment, I don't know. I hope they do though. Other things (for me at least) that they need to address is not being able to set waypoints and not being able to switch to gear that drops during gameplay WITHOUT HAVING TO GO TO THE FUCKING FORGE EACH TIME!!

Can you do that in other ARPGs like Destiny or The Division? I'd like at least a test range to try out weapons before taking them out as I found some suck or I'm afraid may suck. Just got a flak cannon for my Colossus last night, I have no idea if it'll be useful or not.

In Destiny you can swap weapons and gear on the fly. At least what you're currently carry, which is a dozen weapons and 6 pieces of armor for each area.
It's peculiar that you can't swap weapons mid-mission. I've accidentally gone into battle with 2 low-capacity weapons and had to melee my way through a 30-minute level.
The load times aren't really bugging me, but my buddy on the Xbox says they're literally all 2-3 minutes each. That's some Sega CD type stuff. For me they're usually around 20-30 seconds.

Also to let you know....those Tomb Quests.....it only gets worse.....much much worse. All my friends quit playing...I powered through...have a full Masterwork Storm. There is literally nothing left for me to do, other than to grind for a legendary...which....might be .01% better than my masterworks.

I have no expectations for anything else they are going to release at this point, when you can boil all the enemy models in this game down to like 10 unique ones at this point.

BioWare need to act fast if they want this game to be relevant. Otherwise, it will be forgotten in a few a weeks. For casual player, maybe it's ok, but for Hardcore grinder, the contents from what I've heard/read is miniscule compare to Destiny series. It's unfortunate since the game looks good and runs pretty well. It's all eye candy right now.

edit: The campaign missions are also underwhelming. My question is, if I put it on Hard mode, do I get more loots or higher chance of loot drops? it seems like there's no benefit from normal to hard mode.

Even casual players like myself are already done with this game IMO.

For two main reasons -

First, there are serious issues, that while they can be fixed, are a massive turn off. The constant loading, the poor inventory management, etc.

Second, we see the lack of stuff to do once you finish the game. Destiny at least had PVP. This game basically has nothing to do, and there isn't even much good customization to keep casuals around because there are so few choices, and the loot all looks the same visually.

I quit halfway through the tomb challenges when I realized how stupid it was. My wife, who loves destiny, quit due to the constant loading and poor menu design, etc.

My question is, if I put it on Hard mode, do I get more loots or higher chance of loot drops? it seems like there's no benefit from normal to hard mode.

Supposedly you do. You're borderline invincible if you don't put it on hard. You can just stand there shooting and meleeing everything without even trying to dodge or defend. Multiplayer makes that even more extreme.

edit: The campaign missions are also underwhelming. My question is, if I put it on Hard mode, do I get more loots or higher chance of loot drops? it seems like there's no benefit from normal to hard mode.

play on Normal solo...play on Hard with a group...seems to be the best way of balancing things out as far as difficulty

I've been mostly playing as Storm and when switching to Colossus the gameplay is completely different...takes awhile to get used to the new javelin...BioWare did a first rate job as far as making each javelin feel unique with a totally different style...I wonder if they're going to add any more javelins in the future

Last edited:
They need to be adding actual missions/more enemy diversity/whatever for people to enjoy the current suits in before thinking about new ones.

I agree everything what you guys said. I really hope too that they fix the loot system, the clunky menu and add more depth in campaign story. Missions was too short and it should give you the freedom or choice if you want to go back to the wild and kill stuff, instead of forcing you to go back to forge or town when you're done with the mission(s). That's just stupid.

Back