BioWare's new IP: Anthem

the flying and combat mechanics feel so fluid...this game deserves to succeed...I hope they can add more content and continue to improve the game...hell if EA is still continuing to add content for Battlefront 2 then Anthem will be around for a long time

Welp, tried to force Triple Buffering and that didn't do the trick. Finally just set everything to medium details and that did. It doesn't seem like the kind of game that would need horsepower like that, but something about the steam and lava effects just kills my FPS. It reminds me of the old days when any kind of fire effects would kill your FPS in the Assassin's Creed games.
Luckily the difference in ultra vs. medium details isn't that huge unless you do a side by side.

I'm playing all the Main story missions solo (except for the Strongholds)...playing with a group on Normal difficulty is a cakewalk and I need a bit of a challenge...the other reason is that you can potentially miss out on quest information and dialogue if another team member is too far ahead of you and triggers things

I'm playing all the Main story missions solo (except for the Strongholds)...playing with a group on Normal difficulty is a cakewalk and I need a bit of a challenge...the other reason is that you can potentially miss out on quest information and dialogue if another team member is too far ahead of you and triggers things

Yeah, I'm also a fan of playing solo. I played the first couple missions with a group (which it wants you to do by default, apparently). It was both too easy and not very conducive for a plot-based mission.
I'm having fun with the game, though. Movement is better than I thought it would be, and it's a good looking game.

Yeah, I'm also a fan of playing solo. I played the first couple missions with a group (which it wants you to do by default, apparently). It was both too easy and not very conducive for a plot-based mission.
I'm having fun with the game, though. Movement is better than I thought it would be, and it's a good looking game.

which javelin did you start with?

which javelin did you start with?

The heavy one. I tend to play the brute in every game except D&D-style games. Rather than a dodge, it has a shield. I haven't really used it much, though. I swapped from the chaingun to a normal rifle and shotgun combo. So far that has worked pretty well for me.

Started playing last night and some today. Only Level 8 so far but really enjoying the game. Got some cool gear with the Legion of Dawn edition, especially the semi-auto rifle it came with. My biggest complaints so far is not being able to switch weapons unless I go to the Forge and I feel a little lost with the Crafting (not really sure what to do or where to get Blueprints).

View attachment 143670

German is rusty, but I believe the sign says "hopefully not banned" :ROFLMAO:. Other than that, game is already being discounted? €39.00 is about $45.00 USD. Maybe Media Markt is concerned about the pre-release chatter and worried they ordered too many copies.
Bought the digital version for 41 Euro :) a good while back ;)

They rushed the game because it was their big spring release.

Ya it was rushed for sure....between all the bugs.....and the obvious zero end game content. It needed 1-2 quarters of work at least, all the stuff they are supposedly releasing next month should have been in day 1.

Ya it was rushed for sure....between all the bugs.....and the obvious zero end game content. It needed 1-2 quarters of work at least, all the stuff they are supposedly releasing next month should have been in day 1.

oh go easy on them, it was only in development since 2012 :rolleyes:

2012?

That’s insane. Given the lack of content here.

I hope someone is able to get info on the development of Anthem, but I'd bet it was a huge mess. Bioware has gone through a lot of management changes in that time and then all the mess that was caused by Andromeda's gross mismanagement. I've always suspected that EA had to beg Casey Hudson to come back and try to right the ship, so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if Anthem was restarted multiple times, with development halted so the team could try to finish ME: A.

Honestly, the more I play Anthem the more I just want to re-install and play through Andromeda again.

I don't see many bugs at all...I'm having a blast taking my time switching up between Faction missions, Freeplay and Main story missions...I'm currently Level 5 so I haven't unlocked any Strongholds yet...the Fort area is a bit dull though and I just want to finish up quick and get back out flying around in my javelin

I don't see many bugs at all...I'm having a blast taking my time switching up between Faction missions, Freeplay and Main story missions...I'm currently Level 5 so I haven't unlocked any Strongholds yet...the Fort area is a bit dull though and I just want to finish up quick and get back out flying around in my javelin

lol just wait....Lv30 and its dull as shit.

lol just wait....Lv30 and its dull as shit.

I can see that but every one of these loot shooters had end-game content problems at launch...BioWare's roadmap shows monthly content drops so hopefully things stay interesting...the game also needs some better enemy variety...I'm seeing the exact same 4-5 enemies from the demo

I can see that but every one of these loot shooters had end-game content problems at launch...BioWare's roadmap shows monthly content drops so hopefully things stay interesting...the game also needs some better enemy variety...I'm seeing the exact same 4-5 enemies from the demo

Ya...but this makes D1 look amazing for end game...its that bad.

I also think the loading screen issue is overblown on PC...with my 860 EVO it's a few seconds at most...no big deal but I'm guessing on consoles it must be a lot worse which can be frustrating

I don't see core of the problem being fixed in the next quarter. Magical new enemy modes aren't going to materialize that quick, end game isn't going to materialize. Shit D1 had how many Strikes Day 1 and the actual Raid within 1 week.

Game is DOA once Division 2 comes out. And i'm not even a Division fan.

Game is DOA once Division 2 comes out. And i'm not even a Division fan.

2 different types of games...I played the D2 closed beta and thought it felt too similar to the first game with some tweaks...the main issue is I don't like the new DC setting...for some reason I see D2 not doing as well as expected

Maybe....maybe not....Anthem might actually drive people towards it though with as bad as shape as its currently in.

Something else that really really bothers the shit out of me. The masterwork/legendaries....are literally the same guns you get as all the other rarities, slightly different skin but exact same models. Just 1 thing to make them unique, and a few mods and thats kit. You really gotta wonder what they did with the 6-7 years of development. World is great....but devoid of NPCs, the suit customization is great......but that only goes so far. There's no substance, shit I wasn't even bored with Destiny 1 in a bloody week. I'm missing 3 slots of masterwork etc at this point......just meh is where I am at.

Maybe....maybe not....Anthem might actually drive people towards it though with as bad as shape as its currently in.

if it took Destiny 1, Division 1 etc almost a year or longer to get in really good shape then I don't understand why people expect Anthem to be perfect on Day 1...people need to relax and give it some time...the core gameplay and mechanics are excellent so it's easier to fix the game around that

the gun variety is an issue but since I prefer playing as Storm that doesn't bother me as much since I mostly prefer using the Abilities

if it took Destiny 1, Division 1 etc almost a year or longer to get in really good shape then I don't understand why people expect Anthem to be perfect on Day 1...people need to relax and give it some time...the core gameplay and mechanics are excellent so it's easier to fix the game around that

the gun variety is an issue but since I prefer playing as Storm that doesn't bother me as much since I mostly prefer using the Abilities

The problem is...its not even at either of those launch games at the moment. And trust me being a end game storm...there are certain guns you are going to need. Until you luck into 2 specific masterwork storm abilities...it sucks as a end game suit.

The problem is...its not even at either of those launch games at the moment. And trust me being a end game storm...there are certain guns you are going to need. Until you luck into 2 specific masterwork storm abilities...it sucks as a end game suit.

people still need to give the game time to see how BioWare fixes and improves things...people act like it can never get better

if it took Destiny 1, Division 1 etc almost a year or longer to get in really good shape then I don't understand why people expect Anthem to be perfect on Day 1...

Exactly.

I plan to check this game out 3rd quarter or so....

For those that are playing the game - could you please add me to your friends list...don't have to team up - just want the Alliance Bonus coins. Origin Name is same as here - Xerack - Thanks!

So to conclude:
Lack of endgame content
Lack of mission variety
Lack of different level design
Lack of usable endgame weapons

destiny and the division had early issues that were later resolved but not these issues.
I hope they get their shit together. I love what they have done in the past.

people still need to give the game time to see how BioWare fixes and improves things...people act like it can never get better

It was being developed for close to 7 years, they saw destiny 1 (and 2) and the division 1 come out in that time, saw what they did wrong and STILL put out a product that is less than all of those were at launch. I'm not hating on EA, I've had origin installed on my PC for years. Just stating my opinion, considering the dev time, the other looter shooters that have come out in that time EA/bioWare pushed out a shit product. I'm not saying it cant improve, but their window for retaining a player base closes a little bit every day.

No. people do NOT need to give it time. This is inexcusable. Every singe god damn games as a service game has pulled the exact same bullshit. Even the couple hours I put into the game so far makes it clear that Anthem is unfinished. I played Destiny 1 at launch, Anthem is far worse. If FO76 didn't exist Anthem could almost be the worst "games as a service" release from the last few years. There is the potential for a good game hidden there and they might even be able to fix a lot of problems over time, but that doesn't mean a game launching in this state should ever be okay. With how piss poor of a state the game is currently in I would be shocked if it met EA's 6m copies in 6 weeks goal.

But seriously....there's no way....no way at all...this game could have been in development for 7 years. Based on what has been delivered 3 tops.

But seriously....there's no way....no way at all...this game could have been in development for 7 years. Based on what has been delivered 3 tops.

Development started in 2012. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if development had been restarted several times. The original concept for Anthem might have been something radically different than what ended up being released.

from wikipedia, take that however you like.

Development of the game started in 2012, immediately after the release of Mass Effect 3, under the supervision of Casey Hudson, the executive producer of the original Mass Effect trilogy.[7] Although Hudson left BioWare in 2014, the development on Anthem continued[7] until he returned as both the project lead and the new studio head in 2017.

No. people do NOT need to give it time. This is inexcusable. Every singe god damn games as a service game has pulled the exact same bullshit. Even the couple hours I put into the game so far makes it clear that Anthem is unfinished. I played Destiny 1 at launch, Anthem is far worse. If FO76 didn't exist Anthem could almost be the worst "games as a service" release from the last few years. There is the potential for a good game hidden there and they might even be able to fix a lot of problems over time, but that doesn't mean a game launching in this state should ever be okay. With how piss poor of a state the game is currently in I would be shocked if it met EA's 6m copies in 6 weeks goal.

I consider a game with major bugs or performance issues to be far worse...end game content, gameplay aspects all can be fixed...again I think the core gameplay mechanics are solid...

I consider a game with major bugs or performance issues to be far worse...end game content, gameplay aspects all can be fixed...again I think the core gameplay mechanics are solid...

The core gameplay is solid, but its surrounding by terrible mission design, a kind of dull world, a horribly written (at least so far) story, uninteresting characters, and nothing solid as far as content goes. They neutered the flight way too much, forcing you to constantly alter course in order to hit water or dive to cool it off. Flying is insanely fun, but it ends up feeling too limited. Gun and power combat is alright, its basically ME: A's combat system so its fun but there's not much to it. The AI seems utterly brain dead as well. Its crazy that after 17 bloody years Halo: CE still has some of the best enemy AI in a shooter.

While the flying is cool - When you really think about it there is zero purpose to it, and the whole 'flight time' mechanic is also idiotic as you are only flying around to get from mission point to mission point. Once you are in combat you aren't really flying around all that much unless there are snipers you need to deal with.

Which to me is about the only cool part of the game. When you get those missions that are actually in large spaces and have you dodging long range fire - This is where the gameplay really shines, and offers something new.

The problem is that the vast majority of missions are in tight spaces, and have you flying around from point to point just to waste time.

Couple that with stupid mission system that forces you to re-load back into the city, and then re-load back into the actual game world..

I submit if they would have combined this game with Andromeda - Andromeda would have been an awesome game.

Back