BioWare's new IP: Anthem

problem solved!

get faster loads times and solve performance issues by installing on an SSD

We played Anthem for review and had it installed on an SSD...we’re happy to report that the long loading time issues are non-existent if you whack it on an SSD instead of a normal hard drive on PC...it doesn’t just help with loading times, either...lots of other critics and players have noticed a bunch of environmental pop-in...again, this doesn’t happen if you stick the game on an SSD...

https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/18/anthem-faster-loads-times/

The loading is still pretty slow - Even on a SSD.

Anyways, it's 2019 journalists. They might also just as well report that using a discrete graphics card is better than on-board video.

I think my biggest worry is variety on builds.....I'll be honest using the interceptor as a model.....if you are not using Either the Throwing star or Acid Grenade as your Primer, and Tempest Strike as your Detonator you are effectively worthless.

And so far The Masterwork "Thunderbolt of Yvenia" is the one of if not the best gun in the game.

IMG_20190218_100954_01.jpg

can you get Masterwork or Legendary weapon drops before lvl 30?...or are they locked inside the GrandMaster levels?

can you get Masterwork or Legendary weapon drops before lvl 30?...or are they locked inside the GrandMaster levels?
I got that at either late 28 or early 29, on Hard Diff during one of the last side missions if I remember correctly.

Outside of the Legion of Dawn Pre order I've yet to see a Legendary item.

My problem with Anthem is that it a incomplete game. It is lacking in content and EA will sell you the rest of the game as DLC over the next two years. Just like Destiny. I hate this model. FFXV did the same shit. I wouldn't be surprised if if SE charges $20 for th last piece of DLC coming out next month. I blindly bought 15 and was seriously disappointing. Fuck SE and fuck EA for this bull shit.

My problem with Anthem is that it a incomplete game. It is lacking in content and EA will sell you the rest of the game as DLC over the next two years. Just like Destiny. I hate this model. FFXV did the same shit. I wouldn't be surprised if if SE charges $20 for th last piece of DLC coming out next month. I blindly bought 15 and was seriously disappointing. Fuck SE and fuck EA for this bull shit.

Dude they are not selling content. Its free, they are paying for it via the cosmetics. They've literally said this time and time again.

So it's exactly like Destiny when it first came out.
For all the bad decisions Bungie have made, they have one thing going for them and it's the excellent, top notch gun play. No matter how poor some parts of their game is (and no doubt some of it is piss poor) at least you could say the core foundation of their game - firing FPS weapons - is polished, rock solid and fun to play.

I wish I could say the same for Anthem as I'd like more arpgs out there to play, but sadly 'clunky' and 'janky' are the words that come to mind when thinking about this game. No doubt it has potential, but the "it has potential" phase should be 6 months into development, not 6 years. I hope they can turn it around.

apparently you can get more masterwork items (~2 at a time) from running around the map opening chests vs the second level ultimate boss.
lots of issues regarding kills and loot in a team, whoever does it first gets the credit.
Unlocking the tombs require coop and tons of grind
And people are absolutely hating the NPC banter

apparently you can get more masterwork items (~2 at a time) from running around the map opening chests vs the second level ultimate boss.
lots of issues regarding kills and loot in a team, whoever does it first gets the credit.
Unlocking the tombs require coop and tons of grind
And people are absolutely hating the NPC banter

It literally took me about 2 hours to unlock all the tombs...by myself for just about everything.

Look I'll be the first to say the game has a lot of problems at the moment. Alot of WTF were you thinking design decisions and so on.....but for the love of god.....unless you are playing stop parroting random YT'er asshole number 7. We get it you don't like the game, you don't like EA.....we know. If you have no intention of playing the damn thing MOVE ON.

I was looking forward to playing anthem as much as anyone else. but it seems like there has been a shift from game companies to producing great games to instead producing great amounts of money, and any company that does not do that is considered a failure with resulting consequences to the staff.

The gaming industry now is making more money than ever in the history of gaming, but you would not know what based on what is happening.

As a result of all this money bullshit game companies are continually in a state of panic. Games get released early in a broken state with promises of more better later. If it survives maybe, but what if it doesn't?

The name bioware doesn't mean shit the way it used to. Neither does bethesda. I do hope they get their shit together and produce a game that has tons of lasting and scaling content.

I think the game seems to have a high level of polish on release, which is a good thing. The graphics, sound design, etc, are outstanding.

The gameplay is what it is. It's entertaining, but i'm not a huge fan of these bullet sponge style games. The suit idea is cool. I like how you fly around and what not.

The bad things to me are -

Yes, the loading screens. Even on a top-end NVME drive this game takes way too long to load, and you have to load constantly. Why they don't just have it where you load once the big game world, and everything is within it, is beyond me. I assume it's a console limitation thing.

The resource/crafting thing is kind of a joke. I really hate how games put this in. If you aren't going to make crafting interesting and how you gather resources actually interesting - Don't bother. Just make everything for purchase, and just have it where people are grinding for currency instead.

Flying around in the 'free roam' mode just to find resources is just super lame. I would venture to guess they just want people to spend gold currency on resources at the shop.

I'm fine with the price of the game. I have Origin Premier which is $99 a year, and gives me access to every EA title. So all things considered, I really didn't 'pay' much for this game - And you get a bunch of currency for being premier as well.

I would say if you actually bought this game for $60 it was too expensive. At this point you are much better off getting Origin premier then wasting $60 for the base version of EA's titles.

Look I'll be the first to say the game has a lot of problems at the moment. Alot of WTF were you thinking design decisions and so on.....but for the love of god.....unless you are playing stop parroting random YT'er asshole number 7. We get it you don't like the game, you don't like EA.....we know. If you have no intention of playing the damn thing MOVE ON.

This guy is like EA scaled down to a single person.
"So that's why everything is shit and the Elders of Zion have you in their clutches. Don't forget to pay me for reading news off the Internet, gibs on Patreon now paypiggu or else!"

"So that's why everything is shit and the Elders of Zion have you in their clutches. Don't forget to pay me for reading news off the Internet, gibs on Patreon now paypiggu or else!"

Yes its only the evil youtubers hating on another EA turd....:rolleyes:

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/anthems-8-biggest-problems-so-far/

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/anthem-game

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/18/anthem-review-progress-weekend-biowares-shared-world-shooter-8651132/

https://www.gamesradar.com/au/anthem-review-in-progress/

Reactions: cvinh
like this
Yes its only the evil youtubers hating on another EA turd....:rolleyes:

not everything is a 10 or a 0...gamers have become so jaded nowadays...they think everything that is not a 10 is a 'turd'...no...a 7 or 8 is still a very good game and that's where most of the reviews are going...and like the other games like Destiny this will get better over time...I'm buying the game not because it's a masterpiece 10 but because it's a solid 8 and it's fun...I have faith that the game will add content and fix the things that are broken

Its HD dependent. I've got mine running a 970 evo drive. You only see load times in the mins if you have a potato for a computer.
Not entirely. Loading is connected to the network, as well.
For all the bad decisions Bungie have made, they have one thing going for them and it's the excellent, top notch gun play. No matter how poor some parts of their game is (and no doubt some of it is piss poor) at least you could say the core foundation of their game - firing FPS weapons - is polished, rock solid and fun to play.

I wish I could say the same for Anthem as I'd like more arpgs out there to play, but sadly 'clunky' and 'janky' are the words that come to mind when thinking about this game. No doubt it has potential, but the "it has potential" phase should be 6 months into development, not 6 years. I hope they can turn it around.
I disagree. In both the alpha and beta the gunplay felt as tight as Destiny to me. Much improved over Mass Effect Andromeda.

I pre-ordered the Legion of Dawn edition AND got Origin Premier for a month. I like the game. Shouldn't that be enough reason?

Because Origin Premier gives you the legion of dawn content anyways. Seems like a waste of money to me, but that's up to you.

with Origin Premiere you don't actually own the content...it's pretty much on loan...if you cancel the subscription then you lose the games...that sucks...Origin Premiere is good for a 1 or 2 month trial or maybe for a game you'll play and never touch again but not for something you want to play for a long time

All he does is complain these days, it's hard to watch. I used to like Yongyea back when he did interviews with the Metal Gear Solid cast before MGSV:TPP release. But I think his content has been garbage the last few years.

with Origin Premiere you don't actually own the content...it's pretty much on loan...if you cancel the subscription then you lose the games...that sucks...Origin Premiere is good for a 1 or 2 month trial or maybe for a game you'll play and never touch again but not for something you want to play for a long time

That's true, but I know for me it's easy to justify the $100 a year given all the games on there. I'd have spent over $100 just on BFV and Anthem alone within the past 6 months.

And in all reality I won't be playing Anthem after a year anyways.

Finally, if they decide to release an expansion in a year for Anthem, i'm not going to have to buy it to keep playing as it'll be included with premier.

That's true, but I know for me it's easy to justify the $100 a year given all the games on there. I'd have spent over $100 just on BFV and Anthem alone within the past 6 months.

And in all reality I won't be playing Anthem after a year anyways.

Finally, if they decide to release an expansion in a year for Anthem, i'm not going to have to buy it to keep playing as it'll be included with premier.

if you know you're going to buy a lot of Origin games then it's a good deal...me personally I think I have like 9 or 10 games total on Origin...but my main issue is that I don't feel like I would be owning any of the games through Origin Premiere

played a bit last night and didn't even realize load times were an issue until I came here lol, have it on my ssd and "loading" between zones in a mission takes maybe half a second on my pc. Game streams beautifully between my pc and my android box upstairs (using gamestream/moonlight) and was certainably very playable with a bluetooth connected xbox one controller.

Only made it past the first mission after selecting your first jav but I had alot of fun, also didnt mind the mouse controls now that I have discovered all the sensitivity sliders for different parts (ADS/Flight/Water) and found it acceptable to fly with my mouse. Obviously flying feels way better on my xbox controller but aiming/shooting is way easier with my mouse. Im avoiding all the reviews as there is so much anti EA hate spew in so muhc stuff Ill just use my month of origin premier to decide for my self.

So I've been working through the story with a friend, and we should be finishing it up tonight. Anthem is in a strange place for me. I completely agree with the criticisms of the game. There is no doubt that the game needs some work, but I still have fun playing. Most games with the same issues would have been uninstalled already, so I have no idea why Anthem is different for me.

While it's definitely not a 10, I don't think it's as bad as some people have made it out to be. The good news is that BW has been very active on the official subreddit with addressing concerns and providing information about upcoming changes. The day 1 patch seems to contain fixes for a lot of stuff already, so I hope they continue what they're doing.

Between Anthem and Apex Legends Origin should be doing well for a while.

My CDKeys license came over this morning and I did the pre-load. I've read next to nothing about this game (other than it's similar to Destiny and people are whining about it), so I'm heading in with no pre-conceived notions. Hopefully I find it enjoyable. I've had a good time with plenty of other games that reviewers tore apart.

Back