BioWare's new IP: Anthem

I liked parts of Andromeda. I thought it was good in a lot of ways, but the main failure to me was the story. It just wasn't engaging or clever or really much of anything

One day there must be some non brain dead guy at EA see that it you let a developper actually do his thing, you will sell more, make more money, get more goodwill from your customers and get a lot less trashed on the internetz not too mention make boatloads more monies then you do now,and have to shut less studios down etc..

pfft, wahahahahaha who am I kidding .

One day there must be some non brain dead guy at EA see that it you let a developper actually do his thing, you will sell more, make more money, get more goodwill from your customers and get a lot less trashed on the internetz not too mention make boatloads more monies then you do now,and have to shut less studios down etc..

pfft, wahahahahaha who am I kidding .

I'd argue that EA's tactics are causing them to make a hell of a lot more money than anything else they could be doing. If I'm reading these financial's right, in Fiscal Year 2016 they brought in over 4 billion dollars in revenue.

I'd argue that EA's tactics are causing them to make a hell of a lot more money than anything else they could be doing. If I'm reading these financial's right, in Fiscal Year 2016 they brought in over 4 billion dollars in revenue.

1) Buy a studio

2) Release games currently in production

3) Make substandard sequels to those games until the studio's name is mud

4) Close the studio

5) Buy a new studio

1) Buy a studio

2) Release games currently in production

3) Make substandard sequels to those games until the studio's name is mud

4) Close the studio

5) Buy a new studio

And still make insane amounts of money doing so. It is utterly crazy how much both EA and ActiBlizz make off of being outright douchebags.

I would say you have to be an idiot to sell your company to them but yeah, with the money from the sale they can probably retire if things don't work out, too bad for the rest of the staff though.

And still make insane amounts of money doing so. It is utterly crazy how much both EA and ActiBlizz make off of being outright douchebags.

They crush any sort of creativity. I can’t remember the last truly original title put out by EA, Activision, or Ubisoft.

I’m still sad about Viseral games and I was more than a i little pissed when Bioware got snapped up years ago. I was hoping that they’d pull a Bungie and split off but it looks like they’re just a shadow of their former selves now.

They crush any sort of creativity. I can’t remember the last truly original title put out by EA, Activision, or Ubisoft.

I’m still sad about Viseral games and I was more than a i little pissed when Bioware got snapped up years ago. I was hoping that they’d pull a Bungie and split off but it looks like they’re just a shadow of their former selves now.

If you look into it they have had quite an eye opening exodus of talent out of "Bioware" in the last 2-3 years or so. Mike Ladlow "retired" to stay at home and play videogames on the Internet because he's burned out.

David Gaiter rotated in and out...he's gone. It's quite the revealing rabbit trail of talent that just got the hell out and either went indie or quit.

There will be more. Get the hell away from EA. It's the only answer.

Unfortunately true. We can all nitpick and dissect this thing to kingdom come and sadly it doesn't matter. It works.

People keep buying their games and there's nothing left to be done after that past what we can do for ourselves on the matter. Vote with our wallets.

Unfortunately true. We can all nitpick and dissect this thing to kingdom come and sadly it doesn't matter. It works.

People keep buying their games and there's nothing left to be done after that past what we can do for ourselves on the matter. Vote with our wallets.

I'm still convinced they would make more if they made better games, a lot more, but then again why do the effort when you don't need to (until it bites you in the ass that is)

I'm still convinced they would make more if they made better games, a lot more, but then again why do the effort when you don't need to (until it bites you in the ass that is)

Precisely.

I thought this Star Wars Battlefront 2 controversy was interesting because it took an even bigger bloated juggernaut bully that I have an even dimmer view of (Disney) to make EA blink. Too bad when they rolled their transaction gambling scheme backed it revealed the ugly truth: A game deliberately designed to force people to spend more money hopelessly broken otherwise.

I liked parts of Andromeda. I thought it was good in a lot of ways, but the main failure to me was the story. It just wasn't engaging or clever or really much of anything
I actually enjoyed the story as well. ME:A is a solid game, not on the level of the trilogy, but as a separate title. I got more enjoyment out of it than from da:I. It's a shame things went down the way they did. And reading about the development if it's true ME:A is a miracle that it is as good as, if they really started from scratch just 18 months before release.

I enjoyed Andromeda as well.
It held my interest mucu better than Horizon, for which I even bought a PS4 Pro!
What a disappointment that game was.

It's ea. Looking good is what they do. The rest of it kind of sucks. Nothing was learned from mass effect nor battlefront. I would expect more of the same cock ups and looterooskis.

You know the corporate dipshits probably decided they needed more time to gut the game and start over (aka mass effect) in an effort to better integrate microtransactions.

Last edited:
I can't even claim it looked good. It seems to me that gaming started to devolve the way superhero movies devolved. They always want bigger and larger and more extreme. At the expense of a soul. When your character can literally fly like superman and do anything. Where is the tension in that? If your character is as powerful then you need ridiculous enemies to be a challenge. And this ridiculousness and the race to over bid the others what makes games and movies stupid these days. It looses all grounding when your hero can be thrown 200 feet across 30 concrete walls then get up wipe the dust off and continue.

Last edited:
Something is out there I hope it's not micro transactions... I think I have this game on my wish list just out of the radar because I wasn't sure if the game was still on.

If they don't have crazy ammo restrictions on sniper rifles and shotguns then it already isn't Destiny 3.

My attitude has not changed and I thought EA's show today, as a whole, was...not remarkable to say the least.

Anthem is EA's answer to Destiny, Divison, etc. etc. That's perfectly fine. They're late to the party.

I'll never understand why they tapped Bioware for it vs the glut of talent they have access to.

They did not do a good job today past the same stale PR talking points and recyclying early art concept and a VERY tightly controlled gameplay situation of getting this game's hype up at all for me.

A traditional Bioware fan suspected for a while and now knows for sure that they are shit outta luck today for sure coming off this as if there was ever much doubt.

Third person is a tough call for a combat centric game like this and I'm skeptical. Lord knows that gunplay better be a helluva lot better than Mass Effect Andromeda's or this thing is toast regardless of anything else.

This game structure (Destiny, etc.) does not allow for the kind of strong narrative and story telling the name "Bioware" used to stand for.

Eye candy looks good. For a game that's supposedly coming out in 8 months there's still an incredible dearth of concrete information and a lot of questions left. I'll be surprisd if this isn't a good game in its own right. I sincerely hope so considering it came at the cost of one and possibly even two major RPG franchises.

An overglorified Destiny clone done in third person with mechs on the Frostbite engine is still my takeaway for now. I hope it can be more than that.

My ire towards EA aside, I still have a soft spot for BioWare. Though this game is not at all what I would like to see from them, for their sake I hope it succeeds. Albeit while EA gets an earful from the fan base that disagrees single player is dead. EA could wither and die for all I care, but the Studios under it need to survive and be able to make the games they enjoy making, not just feel forced to make.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
E3 2018 Gameplay Demo

I meh'd so hard I think I might have cracked a rib. I can't think of anything worse than another tedious PvE co-op grindfest, especially one designed by EA which is very likely to have a metric fuck tonne of microtransactions.

A sci-fi Division..../cringe. Might as well play Warframe, at least that shit is F2P.

like this

And notice that I mentioned nothing about loot boxes because we all know that the BF2 controversy is still fresh in everyone's minds. As to whether EA will keep their word about no gameplay imbalancing microtransactions, I will believe it when I see it. Their whole modus operandi is to create ongoing revenue streams instead of selling a complete product, so I would not be surprised to see them take the same approach as Activision and Ubi in terms of selling new content (which is equally bullshit).

like this
eh, loot boxes are done. despite the whining by game companies things are probably only going to get worse in terms of legislation and such

like this
The graphics, detail to environment, and effects looks cool...gameplay looks meh.

like this
The graphics, detail to environment, and effects looks cool...gameplay looks meh.

The outlets apparently had an understanding with EA to keep a gag order until yesterday's show was done.

Here is Game Informer, for example. This is a 40 minute video so for those of you in a hurry let me break this down real quick and make a disclaimer that I'm NOT trying not to put words in mouths. (Other outlets are likely following GI's suit here)

Body language...what's being said...what's not being said...a lot of "if" caveats... a lot of "problematic if this doesn't get addressed in 8 months" questions and caveats... mentions of what I've been saying which is I see essentially a hodge podge of Monster Hunter, Destiny, and other like games and they say and confirm my suspicion that so far it's essentially Mass Effect Andromeda's gunplay and combat which is not good news for a combat centric game...

Overall, this is not a crew of people blown away by something. Quite far removed from it. At least that's my take on this.

I couldn't help but notice during that EA Play presentation that crowd was pretty subdued for this as well, at least by my hearing.

We'll see what another 8 months does. I'm not optimistic.

Sidebar: Prior to this how about a Command and Conquer mobile phone game? You could have heard a pin drop. What a slap in the face that is.

It's high time for the backlash against EA to begin in earnest. We need the gaming media past just the loudmouths on youtube to really start taking a long, hard look at this.

I really am getting to the point that I flat out don't want to buy any EA products.

Last edited:
MarcoStyle is a Youtuber I respect from his Division coverage, he's detailed and analytical. He tends to veer towards PvP, which I differ from him on, but his breakdown of mechanics tends to be spot on.

He seems to want to like this game, but like so may others, cannot see any evidence of depth or longevity in what they've shown so far.

like this
I like warframe but no interest in this because it's not F2P but it's online only even when playing single player and has microtransactions. This really is just going to be a EA destiny clone expansions and all, without the pvp.

like this
The absence of PvP is exactly what is keeping me interested.

Agreed. If there is actually compelling story and character development, and it manages to (at least eventually) develop combat mechanics with enough depth to keep me playing... than I may end up owning it. Otherwise I'm honestly not interested and my personal ban on all things EA stands.

like this
Agreed. If there is actually compelling story and character development, and it manages to (at least eventually) develop combat mechanics with enough depth to keep me playing... than I may end up owning it. Otherwise I'm honestly not interested and my personal ban on all things EA stands.

That's a big if. This type of game structure is somewhat limiting for any of that and so far none of the intel out there is helping that hope along.

E3 2018 Gameplay Demo

This is a looter shooter right? And on the frostbite engine. Those two things should have me excited about this game but I’m not and I can’t put my finger on why. Something about the gameplay and voice acting seems off or dull to me.

like this
Back