BioWare's new IP: Anthem

There are articles claiming that DLSS boosts performance up to 40% for 20-series cards. The game has always looked a little muddy, but I doubt the blur is that big of a deal in this instance.

Yeah It always had a bit of a "haze".

With all setting on High at 4k my RTX2070 stays in the 50-60fps range with DLSS on. I cant tell much difference in looks.
I haven't really optimized the settings yet so I'm sure there's room to play there.

Yeah It always had a bit of a "haze".

With all setting on High at 4k my RTX2070 stays in the 50-60fps range with DLSS on. I cant tell much difference in looks.
I haven't really optimized the settings yet so I'm sure there's room to play there.

That's good to know. I was playing on medium on my 2080Ti. I figure that should allow my to push things to "high" and hopefully stay above 60.

That's good to know. I was playing on medium on my 2080Ti. I figure that should allow my to push things to "high" and hopefully stay above 60.

After spending a little bit of time looking at things DLSS does take a bit away from textures like patterns in fabrics. You can spot it on a 4K monitor.
Like always, you win some you loose some.

I guess my next question is how much a difference is there between the IQ of DLSS and just lowered settings to achieve the same framerate.

After spending a little bit of time looking at things DLSS does take a bit away from textures like patterns in fabrics. You can spot it on a 4K monitor.
Like always, you win some you loose some.

I guess my next question is how much a difference is there between the IQ of DLSS and just lowered settings to achieve the same framerate.
In my experience the settings that affect texture appearance don't have a large effect on performance. On my PC I run vegetation quality on low with some effects on medium to maintain above 60 FPS at 4K. Everything else is on ultra or their highest setting. The particle and soft physics effects in this game seem to be the biggest performance killers.

In my experience the settings that affect texture appearance don't have a large effect on performance. On my PC I run vegetation quality on low with some effects on medium to maintain above 60 FPS at 4K. Everything else is on ultra or their highest setting. The particle and soft physics effects in this game seem to be the biggest performance killers.

Have you tried DLSS yet?

If you do, walk up to a NPC and look a textures on clothing. Switch DLSS on and off.
It seems mostly that DLSS blurs stuff from a certain distance. Like you have to get closer to see textures with it on.

I turned some settings to Ultra with not much of a FPS difference. I could mess with this for a while I guess but all in all the FPS gain for me (RTX 2070 @4K) is worth the slight IQ hit.

Have you tried DLSS yet?

If you do, walk up to a NPC and look a textures on clothing. Switch DLSS on and off.
It seems mostly that DLSS blurs stuff from a certain distance. Like you have to get closer to see textures with it on.

I turned some settings to Ultra with not much of a FPS difference. I could mess with this for a while I guess but all in all the FPS gain for me (RTX 2070 @4K) is worth the slight IQ hit.
I have not. Frankly, I don't see the need for it in my case. I'm getting 55-70 FPS in this game and I don't see the need to sacrifice overall IQ for just a few more frames.

Reactions: Auer
like this
I have not. Frankly, I don't see the need for it in my case. I'm getting 55-70 FPS in this game and I don't see the need to sacrifice overall IQ for just a few more frames.

It's working nicely for me and the RTX 2070 manages to keep it in the 4K LG's Freesync range as well. Pretty cool.

I would imagine a R VII or RTX 2080 and above not really having any issues at all at 4K.

DLSS makes a huge difference for me. I swapped over to "High" settings and I'm still pulling 60fps easily. No drops or issues. I don't think the blurring is noticeable in the game itself either.

Yep, same. People on the Anthem subreddit are saying that the patch made things worse. No more guaranteed MW drop from stronghold bosses, chest loot has been replaced by almost nothing but embers, Elysian Caches don't actually give you anything when you open them, and Legendary missions don't always drop keys. Also reading that their attempt to fix the scaling and power level made every single class die in 1-2 shots on GM2 and higher no matter how you're equipped.

Learned that the lead for Anthem is Ben Irving, who famously said during a Star Wars: The Old Republic stream, "RNG is EXCITING!" No wonder the loot system in the game is fucked up.

So much for me jumping back into this game.

it sounded like a good patch on paper...hopefully they get things straightened out soon...I haven't played Anthem since starting Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice but I'm keeping an eye on how things are improving

Wow I had no idea this game looked so good.Some DLSS compares,DLSS is the way I am going to play FPS increase at 4K is game changer.

4K Raw PNG Images

Used jpeg for compare because png are over 12MB+ each.Click for full size
a2.gif

a1.gif

Game looks good to me. DLSS I don't feel doing much but I've only played on my 2080 at 1440p.

Speaking of Anthem though hit me up in Origin. I'm Grimlakin. :)

Anthem 3440 x 1440 21:9 Maxed out 60 FPS.
Visually stunning crazy Fun Game that is just a joy to get in game and mess around killing stuff.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Nice video of gameplay. I have the same card nice to know it can drive that resolution well. BTW are you using DLSS?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/04/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong/

It’s a story of two studios, one in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and another in Austin, Texas, that grew resentful toward one another thanks to a tense, lopsided relationship. It’s a story of a video game that was in development for nearly seven years but didn’t enter production until the final 18 months, thanks to big narrative reboots, major design overhauls, and a leadership team said to be unable to provide a consistent vision and unwilling to listen to feedback.

Perhaps most alarming, it’s a story about a studio in crisis. Dozens of developers, many of them decade-long veterans, have left BioWare over the past two years. Some who have worked at BioWare’s longest-running office in Edmonton talk about depression and anxiety. Many say they or their co-workers had to take “stress leave” - a doctor-mandated period of weeks or even months worth of vacation for their mental health

Was only a matter of time till the truth came out about how this game was so botched.

Nice video of gameplay. I have the same card nice to know it can drive that resolution well. BTW are you using DLSS?

Yes I am using DLSS and I actually find the game less blurry with it on.I assume with normal game and DLSS off the TAA makes the screen more blurry.
Video I am just messing around and I just started the game and I do not even know how to play the game yet but it sure is fun by yourself killing stuff.

I have a 4K monitor and the game runs fine with 4K but I did notice FPS drop once in awhile for no reason but it was only for a second or two.

I prefer to play this game 21:9 3440 x 1440 it just looks better .

About the only thing that surprised me was that EA wasn’t ultimately the problem here, the real issue appears to be mismanagement at BioWare alone.

Its a combination. EA is at fault for:

*Removing experienced Bioware developers from the studio to work on FIFA

*Forcing the entire company to use a poorly documented, hacked together, engine that was solely designed for one genre and for one developers

*Not giving Bioware developers the support they needed early on so they could try to solve engine problems

*Not delaying the game further despite knowing what state it was in

Very valid points and I was going to list some other things but the last thing I want to start doing is defending EA.

I watched AngryJoe's summary of this and holy fucking shit, the level of ineptitude here on Bioware management's part is just staggering. I can't believe that we have to defend EA on this one to some extent.

Oh, and Bioware released a frankly laughable and insulting response.

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/04/02/anthem-game-development/

EA isn't blameless as succinctly explained by Derangel. And although BioWare botched it, EA almost certainly knew the game was broken when greenlighting its release.

I'm done with ANTHEM for a while. The loot system is still broke, been playing GM3 with no legendary drops for about a week. And if I did get them I don't see the point.

I think the only way to save this game is to add PvP as PvE can get boring fast.

Also...This game has a long way to go still, you think introducing PvP now would be anything but a giant clusterfuck?

I'm not sure how you think the game is going to survive to become anything. They've still yet to release any new content now, the content that existed lasted 1-2 weeks max. Its not like when Destiny 1 or Division 1 came out, they don't have a year to make the game worthwhile since its a flooded market now. And only the insane are going to pay actual money for cosmetics in this game so their revenue to keep it going is basically non existent.

Also...This game has a long way to go still, you think introducing PvP now would be anything but a giant clusterfuck?

Why would it be a clusterfuck? If Bioware made specific maps and tiered out the Javelin levels then PvP could work and probably really well too.

I'm not sure how you think the game is going to survive to become anything. They've still yet to release any new content now, the content that existed lasted 1-2 weeks max. Its not like when Destiny 1 or Division 1 came out, they don't have a year to make the game worthwhile since its a flooded market now. And only the insane are going to pay actual money for cosmetics in this game so their revenue to keep it going is basically non existent.

It doesnt matter what I think. What matters is will EA keep going or simply abandon the game? Probably not abandon it this soon even if some people seem to strangely almost demand it.

No one but EA/BW knows where it's heading, and some panic move like half baked PvP is not likely a good solution.

Revenue? A lot of people rent the game thru Origin Premier. Which provides revenue to EA even if no one plays Anthem. That's a lot of games to play for $15 a month.

Like Epic is trying to tie people to a service. EA is using a lot games to get $15 a month subs. So I don't see them dropping anything soon. Such is their business model.

Why would it be a clusterfuck? If Bioware made specific maps and tiered out the Javelin levels then PvP could work and probably really well too.

If you ever played Star Wars the Old Republic, you'd know precisely why you wouldn't want BioWare to throw PvP into the mix or tack on another game mode the way it did with Galactic Starfighter. BioWare fucked up PvP balance constantly and they have a tendency to listen to the vocal minority and anything they balanced for PvP was at the expense of PvE balance. Galactic Starfighter was half baked and essentially fucking terrible. I was part of the beta and any and all content criticism was sharply ignored even though people all said pretty much the same things. I have no confidence that BioWare could balance PvP content without breaking something else.

BioWare also has virtually zero little experience with PvP oriented content outside of SW:TOR. The last two Mass Effect games had a horde mode which was fun, but there was no PvP element to it. I don't think BioWare has any concept of what a good PvP system would look like or play like in Anthem. It also has a lot to work on with the base game as it is. They also need content, which the game sorely lacks right now. Creating an entirely new game mode from scratch would take more time and resources than they can probably afford right now. They need to address a lot of the game's low hanging fruit and bug fixes before trying something like that which is risky from a financial perspective.

Last edited:
Funny how people are begging for content with this and battlefield. Yes I am including firestorm. Which is meh at best. Ea isn't getting any money from me until some dramatic changes happen. They plain suck atm.

Funny how people are begging for content with this and battlefield. Yes I am including firestorm. Which is meh at best. Ea isn't getting any money from me until some dramatic changes happen. They plain suck atm.

Interesting you bring up Battlefield as I'm still playing BF4 which tells me folk are bored with BF5 the same way they are with ANTHEM. If the core game is great, like BF4 is, then it doesn't need added crap to survive. The added content is just a bonus IMHO.

I am not sure how you draw this conclusion. There is a roadmap which shows new content for this month.

Back